Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > CR-V
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 09:44 PM   #1
viking509
AF Newbie

Burning rubber smell

Hi,
After some highway driving for awhile, I notice a burning rubber
type smell when I get out of the vehicle. It seems to be coming from
the area of the right side rear wheel well. Usually happens when it
is wet outside. Any ideas?
Jon
viking509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 09:15 AM   #2
Miataracer
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Miataracer Send a message via Yahoo to Miataracer
Re: Burning rubber smell

don't step on the pedal so hard! lol, just kidding man

where does your exhaust come out?

LS1 RX-7 Zoom Zoom
Miataracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 09:32 PM   #3
viking509
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Burning rubber smell

It is right in that area. Do you think it would smell like that?
Old 01-17-2004, 09:35 PM   #4
tosi
AF Newbie

burning rubber smell

I too notice this burning smell that you speak of.. I was wondering what year your CR-V is? What kind of conditions are you driving in? weather wise i mean.

I have been driving on the highway today and the smell is coming from the right side aswell.. but i am going to check if it's on the left side as well later..

I drove my car on the highway during the winter. And i have smelt this more than once now. I personally think it's the tires and the brakes that are causing this but i am unsure still of what's happening.. I am more swaying towards the brakes because i find they are quite shitty.

Well i will keep you posted if i find anything else.. Hopefully you will do the same..

BTW i started drifting my CRV lately.. so i think the cause could be me too rofl
tosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 10:43 PM   #5
viking509
AF Newbie

Re: burning rubber smell

[quote=tosi]I too notice this burning smell that you speak of.. I was wondering what year your CR-V is? What kind of conditions are you driving in? weather wise i mean.

I drive a 2002 CRV. I live in Vancouver so it is alot of wet weather.
I too thought it was the tires but it seems to come only from the right side. I'm leaning toward the muffler because it is on that side, but can't seem to pinpoint it. I'll let you know if I find anything.
Old 01-19-2004, 12:05 AM   #6
Miataracer
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Miataracer Send a message via Yahoo to Miataracer

maybe your tires are kicking crap up on the hot exhaust and it is being burned off...

LS1 RX-7 Zoom Zoom
Miataracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 07:22 PM   #7
nodribble
AF Newbie

I recently purchased a 2004 CR-V EX and notice the exact same smell coming from the right rear wheel well. Wet weather, dry weather--weather or road conditions don't seem to play any role in the smell. I will be calling my dealer next week to ask about it. I'd appreciate any news that others find out as well!
nodribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 08:49 AM   #8
ibike
AF Newbie

CR-v Burning rubber smell

I bought a 2003 CR-V in Sept. of 2004. I also smell the burning rubber near my right rear wheel which is where the exhaust system sits. I took my CR-V to the dealer. This is what he said in my laymen's terms.

Honda has been getting reports of a rubber burning smell in cr-v's in northern climates, specifically Canada. (I live in Minnesota.) My dealer said they think the smell is attributed to the salt used on the roads to treat snow. They thought the salt was hitting the exhaust and causing the smell. My dealer said Honda thinks the product they used to coat the exhaust is reacting to the salt. According to the dealer, Honda is researching a new coating product. He has my name so I will be contacted when/if they fix the problem. (I am doubtful of that last bit. But that is what he said.)

The glitch I see in the logic is that I encountered the burning rubber smell in October before it snowed. I told him this, however, I doubt that got relayed up the channels to Honda.

On that note, everyone should report the burning rubber smell in their CR-V's. It is not a figment of your imagination or a result of any aberrant driving patterns.
ibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 07:19 AM   #9
Sandila
AF Newbie

burning smell

I am experiencing the burning rubber smell also on my 2002 CR-V and have been off and on since I've had the car, and it does seem to be more noticeable in wet weather. Had it in to dealer twice and dealer says they can't identify it. I suspect the brake pads sticking. My dealer claims that the brakes need to be cleaned every 15,000 miles (to the tune of $168) because the wet weather in northern Ohio causes the brake mechanism to corrode. I ignored this advice and had to have my pads changed and rotors turned at 27,000 miles! I think this is a major design flaw on CRVs. Who's ever heard of needing to clean brakes every 15,000 on any other car? Do other dealers recommend this brake cleaning every 15,000? I don't see this in our owner's manual, which only says inspect brakes every 20,000. Would love to hear others' comments on this. Thanks.
Sandila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 11:08 PM   #10
scoopthebird
AF Newbie

Burning Rubber Smell in CA

Hey CRV owners!!

I just read through this board and wanted to let some of you know that we smell it here in California but so far the only time we have noticed it is when it was raining. Of course, I came here to find out if I should take it in without a warranty on it. I have an extended warranty but it isn't the Honda extended warranty.

Anyway, thanks for the info and hope to here something soon if someone has an answer. I'll keep looking across the internet to see if I find the answer
scoopthebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 06:57 PM   #11
bce23024
AF Newbie

I have a 2002 Honda crv, I was sitting in the driveway talking to someone with the car idling, after about 5 minutes it started smelling like a belt burning, I check the belt and it seemed to be turning free. not sure what was causing this, but the smell was very strong. I'm going to call Honda on Monday because this car only has 250 miles of warrenty left.
bce23024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 05:06 PM   #12
joe_charles
AF Newbie

I just noticed this burning rubber smell in my 2004 CRV-EX with 15600 miles. it was wet outside. it's the 1st time I noticed the smell. I also only smell it on the rear passenger side tire.

Has anyone ever gotten a resolution to this problem?

Oh I'm in Dallas TX, we don't use salt on the roads in the winter.... in fact this car has never seen Ice (what we get in Dallas) or snow.
joe_charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 10:31 AM   #13
Bestia
AF Newbie

I bought my 05 LX back in August 05 and currently have 4500km (Ottawa Canada). In the last 2 months, I also noticed a rubber smell on the right rear tire area. No unusual tire wear. Seems to only happen when it's wet out. Dragging rear brakes would not put out a smell like that. Interesting theory on the exhaust coating from ibike. If I come up with something I'll share with everyone.
Bestia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 12:33 PM   #14
mstupak
AF Newbie

I just got a used 2003 CR-V EX and found this thread because of "the smell" which seems to me to come from both of the right side wheel wells. The rear one seems more prounounced than the front one. It does rain a lot here (Portland, OR).

I'm pretty sure the theory of salt on the exhaust is bogus since we don't use any salt here (and the car has been registered here since it was originally purchased). I also doubt it's the brakes. Just the wrong smell for that (Unless they are locking. I think I'd notice that though).

I'm pretty sure it's the tires that are causing the smell. I'm wondering if it could be a glitch in the AWD causing a slight difference in the speed of the tires (maybe while turning?).

I'd sure like to know what it is. I don't want to have to replace my tires all the time. Anyone notice their tires wearing extra fast on the right side?
mstupak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:33 AM   #15
mru22
AF Newbie

I have a new s2000 and have noticed the same burning smell. I was wondering if you identified what the smell was coming from ? I took mine back to the dealer and they were unable to determine what the smell was. After having the car half of the day and checking brakes, exhaust, wheels etc they could not find anything wrong with the car.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone had found a source to the problem.
mru22 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > CR-V