Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Street
WIP - Street Post topics for any "Works In Progress" street vehicles projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 11:16 AM   #16
360spider
AF Moderator

Re: 1/8 DeLorean Time Machine

Very nice update. Cool details!
Old 11-18-2018, 12:11 PM   #17
brokenbolt
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360spider View Post
Very nice update. Cool details!

Thanks. I'm looking at adding some faux carpeting to it soon. I've seen a few other builders use grey felt and it looks pretty good. I'm leaning towards using a grey velvet-like material since I think it looks a bit more scale-accurate.
brokenbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:33 PM   #18
brokenbolt
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kans0002 View Post
wow, this is awesome. I love how you share pics and also video. very nicely done!

Thank you! I've been in the model building scene for many years and have come to appreciate when builders share their builds (especially when they use a non-distracting backdrop and proper lighting.) I'm finally getting my photo area up to par!

Not much to report on except that Eaglemoss has sent out replacement manual transmissions to replace the incorrect automatics. Better late than never; and I think all future shipments will have the proper manual transmission from the start.

It was a bit of a chore pulling the engine out of the frame and swapping the transmissions but it's not impossible to do.

I didn't mind that the wrong transmission was on it since the part is hidden away on the finished model.

But since they shipped out the replacement for free I figured I might as well change them.

This is the only portion that will be visible on the finished car. I've still got to add some weathering so it matches the rest of the engine. There's probably going to be another snowstorm soon so I'll have plenty of time to work on it.

Last edited by brokenbolt; 02-14-2019 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:01 PM   #19
brokenbolt
AF Newbie

It's been a while since I've had time to do an update. Been waiting on some faux carpeting for the interior. In the meantime I finally got some footage of the engine build edited:

Old 03-10-2019, 12:26 PM   #20
brokenbolt
AF Newbie

Have got some work done on the interior. Plus, Eaglemoss recently delivered the mirrored base. It's a pretty nice metal base with a customer Back to the Future plaque (just in case you weren't sure what movie this time traveling Delorean was from) and it will eventually have a plexiglass cover to help keep it from getting dusty.

I've also added a bit of faux carpeting to the interior. Its some grey self-adhesive velvet material I found online. Definitely helps bring the interior to life.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:39 AM   #21
360spider
AF Moderator

Shaping up nicely!
Old 05-27-2019, 01:22 PM   #22
brokenbolt
AF Newbie

Continuing assembly but got a second nice surprise in April; the clear display case for the metal base Eaglemoss sent out the month prior. The case itself looks great and is designed to fit into the base so the final model is sealed from dust and grime.

Interior parts are about done so onto the frame and body panels!

Frame is made up of two large metal subassemblies that the panels and other parts attach to. I haven't installed the windshield yet because I'm trying to avoid having it get scratched or cracked while I add the body panels.

A few small door jam parts installed to the frame. The trunk features a working bonnet and the final assembly drops into the frame.

The trunk lid even has working strutts. Some guys are adding carpeting to the trunk interior but I think it looks pretty good as is (plus I don't plan on showing off the trunk that much.)

The bonnet lid is made up of several small parts and looks pretty accurate to the real Delorean parts.

Starting to look familar.

This side looks even better. Looks like a real Delorean frame from the assembly line.

Some of the brackets and rear quarter panel parts. This is an exciting part of the build to get to. Going forward, this will start looking a whole lot like the time machine. Plus, there's lots of neat componets to attach in the coming months: flux bands, the rear reactor area, and bringing the frame, interior and body altogether.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:44 AM   #23
Niro750
AF Regular

Nice. I'm still far behind you as I've just got my mods done but now need to catch up
Niro750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 02:01 AM   #24
sysqo
AF Regular

very impressive work!
Old 08-11-2019, 01:39 PM   #25
brokenbolt
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niro750 View Post
Nice. I'm still far behind you as I've just got my mods done but now need to catch up

What mods are you doing to yours?

I've slowly been making some progress on my build.

jJust about finished with the body. Got the stainless steel panels and doors installed on the Delorean.

Windshield has been put in now that I've got the base and plexiglass cover to protect the model while I continue assembly.

The doors open to show off the interior as well as the door sill detailing. Strike plates, latches and safety lights are all separate parts that add to the realism.

Also worth noting that the body itself is pretty heavy now. It's going to be a real beast when finished.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:26 PM   #26
360spider
AF Moderator

Very cool. I dig the video of the engine!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Street