Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Sable
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 09:11 PM   #16
mandyannt
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to mandyannt Send a message via Yahoo to mandyannt
Re: Re: The check engine light that no one can turn off.

Let me tell you how I am having the exact same problem with my sable. I've taken it to several different people trying to figure out what "exactly" is wrong with it. I've gotten the same codes as you, and, like you, I've spent a lot of money fixing everything that anyone suggested. Let me ask you a question, was/is your car stalling when at a stop? If so, I'll explain to you what I've done thus far with my lovely sable.
mandyannt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 06:20 PM   #17
Marathonman
AF Newbie

Re: The check engine light that no one can turn off.

mandyannt thank you for posting. Right now the car just has the check engine light on. But it seems to be using lot of gas. But if I reset the check engine light I will get a new problem. And some times a $$$ problem.

Did you take it to someone in your area??? According to your Bio you only live 3 hr. away from me (Sharon PA) so if you know of a good shop for fixing Sable problems please let me know who?????

Also please don’t be creped out by that.
Marathonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 06:37 PM   #18
mandyannt
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to mandyannt Send a message via Yahoo to mandyannt

I've taken my sable to many places around my area, and I've come to the conclusion that all the mechanics around here are brain dead. I ended up driving 3 1/2 hpurs to my dad's in carlisle to have a buddy of his look at it.

Now see, my car was stalling if idle, so I had a complete tune up done, all new plugs and wires, and i had them put it on the computer. The results of that were that bank 1 and bank 2 were running lean. Then the guy told me that it could be coming from all sorts of different things, and I just did not have the money to fix it all. I figured that it might be the oxygen sensors, but wasn't sure, so I headed out east. Turns out the stalling was coming from a vaccum hose that had a hole in it, but my light is still on. And, like you, the beast is eating up gas like there is no tomorrow. So, I guess that we are pretty much in the same boat.

I wish I could be more of a help. And why would I be creeped out?
mandyannt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 11:18 AM   #19
John in Charlotte
AF Newbie

Interesting. I, too have a '00 Sable Duratec. It's got 92,000+ miles and is working fine. I'd go over to The Tauruscarclub.com forums. Those guys know these cars inside and out. Tell your history over there and they'll get you squared away.
John in Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 07:37 PM   #20
Marathonman
AF Newbie

Hey all just an update. I asked around and found a dealer that seems to know there stuff. Well they found that the ERG sencer was missing a gasket and a hose was disconnected.

So thanks for all the help.
Marathonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 10:09 AM   #21
merc24v
AF Newbie

I have a 2002 Sable 24V with the same issues. In a nutshell... I had major misfires and the CEL would flash, then go steady on. Found a cracked plug. Changed plug, various filters and "tune-up" parts. Misfire came back. Changed plug. Misfire returned. Read your post. Changed plug, wires, EGR valve, a vacuum switch. Running very well now. CEL came back on. Autozone read as a P0430, Bank 2 rear O2 sensor. Changed it. CEL came back on late last night. Will get it read today. Car is still running fine. I'm anxious to find out what it is this time.
merc24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 01:19 AM   #22
e_powers
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc24v
I have a 2002 Sable 24V with the same issues. In a nutshell... I had major misfires and the CEL would flash, then go steady on. Found a cracked plug. Changed plug, various filters and "tune-up" parts. Misfire came back. Changed plug. Misfire returned. Read your post. Changed plug, wires, EGR valve, a vacuum switch. Running very well now. CEL came back on. Autozone read as a P0430, Bank 2 rear O2 sensor. Changed it. CEL came back on late last night. Will get it read today. Car is still running fine. I'm anxious to find out what it is this time.
then either the o2 sensor is not getting correct voltage or your catalytic converter is going bad.

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_cod...old-bank-2.php
e_powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 09:53 PM   #23
reekor
AF Enthusiast

The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty or there could be a vacuum leak downstream of the MAF sensor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathonman
Ok I just got back from autozone and the codes are.

&

His, 96 Limited, 5.2 Magnum, Magnaflow CatBack System, HID Head & Fog Lamps, 242 T-case swapped , Rear Trac-Loc. Chrome grill added to match the wheels.

Hers, 96 Limited I6, 242 T-case, HID Head & Fog Lamps.
reekor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:01 AM   #24
Big Cliff
AF Newbie

Intake plenum gaskets.... $20
Big Cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:35 AM   #25
reekor
AF Enthusiast

Four year old thread ???????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Cliff View Post
Intake plenum gaskets.... $20

His, 96 Limited, 5.2 Magnum, Magnaflow CatBack System, HID Head & Fog Lamps, 242 T-case swapped , Rear Trac-Loc. Chrome grill added to match the wheels.

Hers, 96 Limited I6, 242 T-case, HID Head & Fog Lamps.
reekor is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Sable