Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Sable
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 04:51 PM   #1
Marathonman
AF Newbie

The check engine light that no one can turn off.

I own a 2000 Sable and I really need some help.

Over a year ago the check engine light came on. Well we had purchased the extended warranty so this should be warranty work. Well in the last year we have had it taken it to two different dealers a total of 5 times. Each time they receive a new code, change out the part, and fix whatever their little computer tells them to. And the check engine light comes on within 3 days or less (sometimes within 1 mile from the dealer) with the new code. Well I am getting very broke paying for every time it has been in the shop for warranty work or wear items(now coming close to $1k).

The first dealer told me that it was nothing to worry about and the computer just need to be updated. Well last week the check engine light started flashing at me and the car had no power. It turns out the coil pack was bad(or at least that is what the computer said) and that 1 and 4 weren't firing. Because of that the car needed a tune up and new plug (which I had to pay for).

Any help in how to fix this problem, deal with the dealerships, or deal with Ford to get the problem fixed will be greatly appreciated.
Marathonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 10:44 PM   #2
mborutski
AF Newbie

check eng light fix

the most important piece of info is missing. The previous codes.
although they seem to be unrelated some componants may cause "phantom"codes in other systems. ie: did you know that a faulty mass air flow sensor can cause mutiple oxygen sensor and mixture codes? and may not show the mass air flow sensor code at all.
if you could provide a list of codes/ parts replaced it can lead to the real problem.

when they replace a part they clear the computer of codes and then the computer has to go through a list of test before the light comes on for a fault that is found. this is why after the dealers road test the light doesn't come on for them but it does for you. some of the test require a certain eng temp, vehicle speed or key/trip cycles.

i may be able to help with enogh info
MB
mborutski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 11:46 PM   #3
Marathonman
AF Newbie

Re: The check engine light that no one can turn off.

Well first of all thank you for your help. You have to be one of the coolest people in my life right now.

But where can I find those codes on the Invoice the dealer gave me? What would one look like? If they are not on the invoice please tell me and I will call over to the shop and ask them for them.

I am sorry cars are not my ball game.
Old 11-13-2004, 05:37 PM   #4
Marathonman
AF Newbie

Ok well I reread your last post and say my error. Hear is a list of parts they have replaced in this car.

Spark Plugs
Ignition Coil Assembley
Fule Filter Depfe sensor
SNS ASY EGR press valve
EGR valve
Differential Oil seal

I hope this helps.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:22 AM   #5
mborutski
AF Newbie

hmmmmmmm

sounds like a wild goose chase to me! at the same time not all diagnoses goes as planed. you can follow the procedure perfectly and still not find the correct problem
be interesting to know what kind of diag was done, because the # of parts replaced in the egr system.- most likely the dpfe sensor was the cause for the code in the first place and the other egr components were collateral damage for jumpin the gun(we often refer to this as firing off the parts cannon) the second problem (if diagnosed corectly) seems to be a seaperate problem from the egr stuff- its pretty dificult to confuse a coil problem with an egr problem-by the way i hope this car barely ran, for two dead cylinders

the flashing engine light you refered to earlyer is a good indication that you had a severe misfire- the check engine flashes when the computer sees a catalitic converter damaging problem-ie dumping raw fuel into the exhaust from a missfire.

hows the car now?
any symptoms?
mborutski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 02:58 PM   #6
Marathonman
AF Newbie

"hows the car now?
any symptoms?" Well that is the thing. The car runs ok. I really have not had any problems with this car until the miss flashing engine light.

The only thing that I am getting from the car is that the transmition seems to shift a little hard. But that may be just me. You get a little nutty about your car when it has had the check engine light on for a year and no one can turn it off.

When I have a little more time I will post all the test they have run for you.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:07 PM   #7
vicv
AF Regular

You can go to Autozone, and if the light is still on they can get the code(s) for you and turn the light off (clear the codes). This may be temporary since you have had the light come back on even after repairs but it might provide more info on where to look. A-zone will do the check/clear for free.
vicv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 09:13 PM   #8
vicv
AF Regular

Oh, one more thing popped into my head that happened to me. I was messing around under the hood and removed a vacuum line to provide clearance while working. I forgot to hook it back up when I was done. I drove the car for a day before the CEL came on. I knew what it was right away so I pulled over and put it back on. I drove straight to A-zone and had them retreive and clear the code. Of course the code does not say "put the vac hose on you dope!" but pointed to the intake air sensor (if I remember correctly). So something as simple as a vac line can point to a sensor or other component.
vicv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 08:32 PM   #9
Raindancor
AF Newbie

My car was over due for a tune-up and in the prossess the O2 sensor burned out because the car was running alittle out of spec. The engine would not go out until I replaced it. The car seemed to run fine before hand. If that helps any.
Raindancor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 11:28 PM   #10
Marathonman
AF Newbie

Hey thanks guys for all the help this far... keep it comeing.

I went down to A..zone and they conected there computer to my can and it said that BOTH O2 sensor were bad. And then he reset the light. Well 2 days latter it is back on. I am going to take it back to Azone to see if it says the same thing is wrong. Maybe this will help me track down if it is the computer or not. I think that if it gives diff. codes everytime we will have a better case for a new computer.

Also sence the Azone guy reset the computer the car has been driveing better. Well at least that is what I feel anyway.
Old 12-04-2004, 03:20 PM   #11
Marathonman
AF Newbie

Well something new. The check engin light has turned on again after Azone reset it. So I took it back to Azone and there computer says that both sides of the engin is running lean. But there is no mention of the O2 sencers.

From this Info can we say that it is the computer?
Old 12-07-2004, 11:24 AM   #12
beyondloadedSE
AF Ford Contour-Advisor

what was the code that was pulled at autozone?

"The CEG Nazi"
www.contour.org
1996 Ford Contour SE - Sold
3.0L V6 and Arizona Dyno Chip Turbo Kit
364 whp, 410 wtq @ 16 psi and only 4,700 rpms.
1999 Tropic Green SVT Contour - Bone stock and MINT
beyondloadedSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 01:42 PM   #13
Marathonman
AF Newbie

Ok I just got back from autozone and the codes are.

&
Old 02-13-2005, 07:09 PM   #14
Marathonman
AF Newbie

Bump
Old 03-08-2005, 08:13 PM   #15
Marathonman
AF Newbie

Bump Bump. O maybe no one knows how to fix this or what these codes mean.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Sable