Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > LeSabre
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 03:21 PM   #1
dieterschmied
AF Newbie

1990 Buick LeSabre rear Fuel Line leak

I have a very small leak from the fuel line between the tank and the filter. I will drop about three drops when I park the car. The line is wet as it goes out of sight above the tank. Dorman shows about four fuel line options for this vehicle but not an explanation as to which line is appropriate. It appears, based on readings, that this fuel line had quick disconnects.

1. Are there any photos of the area where the line connect?
2. Does anyone have any photo links of the connectors?
3. Can I use generic fuel line and clamps?
4. Does the tank require removal (complete or just loosening?)?
5. Do anyone know the part numbers of the anticipated fuel lines that need replacement?

PS I found a picture and here is a link that can help for other vehicles: http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssem...rimLevel=14642

Except for item 4, I may have answered my questions.

Dieter Schmied
dieterschmied@gmail.com

Last edited by dieterschmied; 06-09-2013 at 04:20 PM. Reason: additional info
dieterschmied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:26 PM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: 1990 Buick LeSabre rear Fuel Line leak

The line is wet as it goes out of sight above the tank.

That means it is leaking from above.....those are metal lines and they are part of the whole fuel sender......

To get to it, means dropping the tank, which opens up a whole other can of worms....you will have to move/drop the exhaust out of the way.....where the three lines come out of the tank and have a connection, those connectors might not want to come apart( might have to move down to the next connection).....if they do, then the next trouble spot is removing the rubber connector from the fuel fill line......then the next problem is getting the bolts out of the straps(they can be rusted or they snap the welded nut, and just spin).....then you lower the tank(it is always best to do this with less than 1/4 of a tank).......you either buy a whole sender, or you take a chance and cut out the leaking section and replace with hose that fits tightly over the remaining line and double clamp each end.....but to do this you have to drop the tank.....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tech II For This Useful Post:
dieterschmied (06-09-2013)
Old 06-09-2013, 10:18 PM   #3
dieterschmied
AF Newbie

I don't know how I am to use this forum. Thanks for the heads up. I will set aside time for that exhaust system. I have ordered that high pressure hose assembly and I have less than 1/4 tank of fuel and a transmission jack . I will anticipate that everything will require an extra effort.
dieterschmied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
Tech II
AF Fanatic

I wasn't trying to dissuade you from attempting the job, just preparing you for the possibilities when attempting it......rust on these vehicles makes the job that much harder......getting a high pressure hose(that's the one to the fuel filter) may not be enough.....if the metal line to it is leaking from above the tank, when you drop the tank down,you may find one leak, but the vapor and return lines could be in bad shape too......you saw the price of the fuel sender....ouch.....thing is, if you replace the sender, it's almost mandatory, for that age vehicle to replace the fuel pump and sock(internal filter), also....you don't want to have to drop it again.....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
1990 , buick , fuel , lesabre , lines
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > LeSabre