Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Sable
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 11:16 PM   #1
jhiler
AF Newbie

dies while running

93 Sable wagon with 100k miles dies when running with no warning. By that I mean, no rough idle, no lurch or surge. Just shuts down, idiot lights come on. Pull over, key to start, fires up, runs fine. Frequency of problem, once every few days. Took it to a local reputible shop. Air mass replaced, both O2 sensors replaced, codes said they were all screwy, new rotor, new cap, new wires, new plugs, new air filter. Problem not fixed. Shop owner seemed to have no idea.

jhiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 06:03 AM   #2
nyc tech
AF Newbie

Re: dies while running

I would advise you to get the codes again,its seem like your o2 's.I had the same problem.
nyc tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:11 PM   #3
jhiler
AF Newbie

Re: dies while running

I finally figured it out and it's fixed. It was the idle air bypass valve. The Rest of the Story. I had my nose in the Chilton manual and did some test runs. What I figured out was the engine died only when the engine was going back down to an idle. Not exactly the description she had given me. I was of the impression it died under steady running load conditions. Since she had scheduled it for another visit with the mechanic she has used before, and generally does okay, I told her to have him check the throttle position sensor and the idle bypass valve. Viola! He found the IBV to have some "crud" in it. So cleaned it up and put it back on. The car runs smooth, idle fine and no longer dies. Guess in the future I need to probe more for accurate descriptions and just take care of things like this myself. 3 visits to that shop has lightened my wallet more than the old car is probably worth.
jhiler is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Sable