Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Metro
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 03:27 PM   #1
sas95
AF Newbie

ECM Scan Tools '95 and earler

Does anyone know specific models of ECM scan tools that will work with a 1995 Geo Metro (OBD I)?

I just bought an EQUUS Innova 1340, opened up the user's manual and discovered that Geo's were specifically excluded. Sending it back for a refund. No fun.

Thanks for any info.
sas95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 09:10 PM   #2
91Caprice9c1
AF Enthusiast

Re: ECM Scan Tools '95 and earler

Because of the manufacturer specific scan tools, ALDL connectors and DTCs of OBDI vehicles (Pre-1996) it is much more efficient to read codes by sticking a fuse in the raised fused pocket in the fuse panel located on the driver side under the dash with the key off, then sit in the driver seat and count the blinks of the Check Enging Light (CEL), then refering to a list online, or in a haynes or chiltons specific to geo metros. Blink-pause-blink-blink = 12, blink-blink-pause-blink = 21 etc.. if there are more than one codes stored it will look like this:
Blink-pause-blink-blink-pause-pause-blink-blink-pause-blink-loonng pause-repeat. You'll get the hang of it.
91Caprice9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 01:59 AM   #3
sas95
AF Newbie

I'm familiar with the basic DTC's. I've got a copy of the Haynes manual, and the OEM Service Manual for '95 Metros. The service manual lists over a dozen parameters the ECM sends out real time, including all the engine sensors. I'd love to see these for diagnosis. Imagine almost anyone would who's trying to fix an engine problem. The manual indicates the Tech I scan tool is "the item" for reading this info. Gives a part number of TK0000, which I think may be incorrect.

There are a few Vetronix Tech I scan tools for bid on eBay, but can't tell if they will interpret all the parameters. And, they are kind of pricy.
sas95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 05:05 PM   #4
91Caprice9c1
AF Enthusiast

Ah, I see. If you can find one that features an osciliscope for monitoring voltage inputs and outputs than this would definitely be the gravy way to go. Otherwise, to get the most accurate sense of what is going on electrically, I'd be much more interested in finding a good osciliscope rather than a scan tool that is capatible with our cars. Reason being that data read via a scan tool is taken frame by frame, for instance if you want to monitor
O2 sensor inputs, and are looking for a healthy sine type pattern from .2-.8 volts, it would be difficult to judge accurately if this is happening. A scope on the other hand tells you directly what a sensor is doing over a period of time, making a healthy O2 pattern visible. Just my two cents and Good luck.

MechanicMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas95
I'm familiar with the basic DTC's. I've got a copy of the Haynes manual, and the OEM Service Manual for '95 Metros. The service manual lists over a dozen parameters the ECM sends out real time, including all the engine sensors. I'd love to see these for diagnosis. Imagine almost anyone would who's trying to fix an engine problem. The manual indicates the Tech I scan tool is "the item" for reading this info. Gives a part number of TK0000, which I think may be incorrect.

There are a few Vetronix Tech I scan tools for bid on eBay, but can't tell if they will interpret all the parameters. And, they are kind of pricy.
91Caprice9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:30 AM   #5
cubano112266
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to cubano112266

Hello Group,

Would the software Winaldl work in recording the data stream if the ECM is connected to a laptop?

Regards

cubano112266
cubano112266 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Metro