Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > 323/Protegé/Familia/Etude/Allegro
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 01:20 PM   #1
levi59401
AF Newbie

323 clacking noise in turns

Hi, i have just purchased a 1987 mazda 323 for 300 dollars, i think it was a good deal, however it does have a small problem when i turn to the right it makes a horrible "clacking noise". I understand that this is most likely the cv joint, my question is when replacing the cv joint do u have to get a cv joint or just get a boot kit, the boot is clearly torn and destroyed. someone told me i just needed a boot kit but it makes a horrible noise, so i thinmk the joint may be bad, how do i tell? any response would be appreciated ty
levi59401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 04:43 AM   #2
Flash75
AF - Advisor

Re: 323 clacking noise in turns

When a cv joint clicks it's bad. A damaged boot allows the grease to get out of the joint, water and crud gets in the joint and it wears out. The cv joint needs replacing. Replacing the boot on a noisy joint is a waste of money and time.

Clifton
Flash75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 11:44 AM   #3
levi59401
AF Newbie

thank you very much for response, so do i need to replace just the right side which clacks or is there two cv joints that need to be replaced at same time ie.. left and right?
levi59401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 02:27 PM   #4
discnik
AF Enthusiast

Have whoevere replaces the drive axle inspect the other side as. I the boots look alright, ( no tears), the axle should be okay. If the boots have small tears but the joints are not making any noise replace the boots immediately, the axle joints should be fine.
discnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:11 AM   #5
Ice98
AF Newbie

see what price they are going to give you to do just one or 2, it may be a good idea to get them both done at the same time, it is pretty costly, you may end up doubling what you paid for the car

but hey, a good running condition car for $300, still a steal with $300-700 in maintanence
Ice98 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > 323/Protegé/Familia/Etude/Allegro