Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > LS | MKZ
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 08:44 PM   #91
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Dual climate control blowing heat on AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegr View Post
This advice is invalid! I assume that you don't have an LS, and apparently don't have a factory manual. The LS has no cold-air bypass door. The error code is incorrect. The factory service manual says to ignore code 1265 because the LS is not equipped with a cold-air bypass door.
Welcome to the forum!

You're only partially correct, I no longer own a 2004 Lincoln LS, but my wife still own's her 2002 LS of which I perform the maintenance. I do have the factory service manual for the 2002 model year and the Alldata subscription is still valid for my 2004. The 2002 LS does have a cold air bypass according to the factory service manual. Additionally, Alldata shows a cold air bypass door for the 2004 model year. Maybe you call it something different, such as "Mode door actuator."

Please review the Forum Guidelines that you agreed to when registering for your account before posting again. Specifically, pay attention to the very first paragraph titled "Respect is the key." Please continue to read on into the section titled "Don't attack each other." Once you decide that you can abide by the forum guidelines, feel free to return as a contributing member to the forums.

For the 2004 model year:

For the 2002 model year:

Feel free to review and post your references.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:26 PM   #92
joegr
AF Regular

I have a 2004 LS and a 2006 LS. I can assure you that neither has a cold-air bypass door. The 2004 gives the false error, and the 2006 does not. The 2004 factory manual even gives pin-point tests for the 1265 code. When you try them, you will see that the wires and pins for the cold-air bypass door are not even installed. Check with Ford on this. It was/is not ever used on the gen II LS.

PPPAnimal before you waste money on this false code, at least get under the dash and then you will see that there is no cold-air bypass door.
joegr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:33 AM   #93
shorod
SHO No Mo

Now that's a much more mature response, with some detail to back it up. If you go to the early posts in this thread, you will find it was not started relative to the Gen II LS, so this helps keep it brought and relavant to both the Gen I and Gen II.

I took another look at the pinpoint tests for the 2004 and there is no mention of this being a false code. As you suggest, the pinpoint test does list pinouts and wiring colors for the cold air bypass actuator, but I cannot say if the terminals in the connector are populated. For now, we'll have to take your word for it. Thank you for the clarification.

So how does the Gen II LS blend the air between the evaporator core and the heater cores? Does it just rely on modulating the DCCV?

-Rod
Old 05-15-2009, 08:18 AM   #94
joegr
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorod View Post
So how does the Gen II LS blend the air between the evaporator core and the heater cores? Does it just rely on modulating the DCCV?

-Rod
Yes, it does.

Quote:

I took another look at the pinpoint tests for the 2004 and there is no mention of this being a false code.
-Rod
The 2006 service manual mentions that it is a false code. The 2005 may as well, I don't know.

"B1265 1265 Cold Air Bypass Door Actuator Circuit Failure Invalid code. Vehicle not equipped with cold air bypass door actuator. Ignore this code and continue diagnostics."

Here is a link to the 2006 manual.
http://deneau.info/ls/

I strongly suspect that the gen I LS also didn't have a cold-air bypass door. I don't have a gen I LS to prove this by, but I have remotely assisted with troubleshooting on the gen I, and the failure symptoms for the DCCV just don't point to there being a bypass of the heater core. If there were, then you could still get cold air when the DCCV fails, and that doesn't seem to be the case. I think they planned for one, but couldn't fit it in. Of course, I could be wrong about the gen I, but I am certain about the gen II.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:42 PM   #95
shorod
SHO No Mo

I've had the DATC out of my wife's 2002 a couple of times, I'll try to pull it and check the wiring harness. That is a good point about heat issues when the DCCV fails. I wonder why some DATC report a 1265 code and others do not. I've never had a cold air bypass code with my wifes, either via the self test or from my Genisys scan tool.

-Rod
Old 05-15-2009, 01:24 PM   #96
RJLipscomb
AF Newbie

Thanks guys, we appreciate the dialogue. I recently had my Suburban 2500 in the local repair shop for brake problem analysis. I mentioned the problem with my 2006 LS DCCV. Both the manager and mechanic told me that the problem is "usually" a blend door issue. After a long debate and my describing the DATC Codes, they stuck by their position (understanding that they were not looking at the car). I wanted to bring it in to them for repairs, but stuck by my belief in what the thread above says... DCCV problem. From the discussion, I believe my position is correct.
RJLipscomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:35 PM   #97
joegr
AF Regular

The LS doesn't have a blend-air door either. Most cars do, so those not familiar with the LS may make this mistake.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:58 PM   #98
shorod
SHO No Mo

The 2002 LS does have wiring in connector 228b for the cold air bypass door. I pulled the DATC module and looked. It also appears to have an actuator in the location shown in the service manual as the cold air bypass actuator.

-Rod
Old 05-17-2009, 10:35 AM   #99
joegr
AF Regular

Quote:
The 2002 LS does have wiring in connector 228b for the cold air bypass door. I pulled the DATC module and looked. It also appears to have an actuator in the location shown in the service manual as the cold air bypass actuator.

-Rod
Wow, that's interesting. I wonder why they removed the feature from the gen II LS? I wonder if all gen I LS's have it? And lastly, if it could be added to a gen II and would that give any benefit?
My gen II's both give a very brief bast of hot (or very warm) air when they are restarted while the engine is still hot. Does your gen I do that?
Old 05-17-2009, 06:03 PM   #100
shorod
SHO No Mo

I haven't noticed that in my wife's. It might do it and I've just figured it was hot cabin air being circulated. I don't really notice a difference in the way my wife's works and the way my 2004 worked. They both are much better than the system in my 2007 G35.

-Rod
Old 05-18-2009, 09:57 AM   #101
samandgreg
AF Newbie

I'm going to join back in on this thread because I still have not resolved my climate control issues. 2002 LS, V8

About 10% of the time the Climate control fails and blows air at approximately 110f, the rest of the time it works perfectly. It usually fails when the car is first used in the morning but on occasion it will fail later. It only fails when the car is started, and can usually be fixed by stopping, shutting off the engine and then restarting.

I have replaced the DCCV, DATC, and the passenger temp sensor. When I had a scanner on the unit, every reading remained the same when it failed except:

Defrost Servo position from 55 to 75
Panel Servo from 167 to 127
Driver temp sensor from 77 to 145
Passenger temp sensor from 82 to 168
"INTMP_2" (Interior temp?) from 78 to 69

Possible failure of the interior temp sensor is my only guess but 78 to 69 doesn't sound like the problem and changing the temp settings on the DATC has no effect.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
samandgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:31 PM   #102
PPPAnimal
AF Newbie

When i took my 2004 LS to the dealership asking about these error codes, they looked them up, showed me the pinpoint procedures listed in ALLDATA and then even proceeded to give me part numbers and prices for both the DCCV and the Cold Air Bypass Door Accuator.

I have not yet looked at my car to be sure it has a cold air bypass door, but find it funny that the dealership thinks it has one when infact it might not.
PPPAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:54 AM   #103
LincolnLS05
AF Newbie

Guys, I have gotten a wealth of information here. I have an 05 LS, love the car, which shortly after warranty expiration has had a few issues (one thing at a time, LOL). I am currently trying to work on the AC issue. It took some time, but finally got codes from self diagnostics. What worked on my 05 LS was OFF/DEFROST simultaneously, then AUTO. I will say it did not catch the first time, so be patient and keep trying, it finally caught. OK, I got 27 98 and 12 65. I understand with 27 98, i will need a new DCCV, but I am getting confused with the 12 65. Is there a cold air bypass door actuator????? Is it also known as a blend door, which a ford mechanic once told me that LS's made after the 02 model do not have the blend door. I guess the change in name is confusing me. Help. Does it exist or not, want to get it fixed paying as little as possible, but don't want mechanic trying to charge for something that doesn't exist.

Thanks.
LincolnLS05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:05 AM   #104
shorod
SHO No Mo

Welcome to the forum!

What I'd suggest is that you start with the DCCV circuit. If you find the DCCV does not appear to be working probably, replace it, then see how the system performs. If all seems well, you probably can ignore the 12 65 code.

If you feel comfortable pulling the DATC from the dash, you could check for the cold air bypass wiring. I would consider "blend door" as synonomous to "cold air bypass."

-Rod
Old 06-10-2009, 08:35 AM   #105
LincolnLS05
AF Newbie

I have just purchased a (new) Heater Control Valve on Amazon.com for my 2005 LS for $100 . That's a big difference from the $750 teh mechanic was "estimating" for repair. I will make an attempt to replace it and let you guys know how it went. Does anyone have instructions for replacing the DCCV on an 05 LS V6?
LincolnLS05 is offline   Reply With Quote