Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Bravada
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 05:54 PM   #1
oldsjoe
AF Newbie

98 Bravada Dash Gauges Out, Wont get out of 3rd

Hello, i know their are some other posts concerning this, but i'm still not sure what to tell the mechanic. About a month ago the lights all flashed on my dash. Now it is mostly off and flips on every once in a while. At the same time that this started my car started staying in third gear. Every once in a while this problem will stop for about two minutes and it will shift normally. I noticed that when the car starts the dash goes on normally and then shuts off. If I put it in drive and take it to about (what i think is 30 mph) the dash comes back on and sometimes will stay on, but still no shifting. Also, the service engine soon light has been on since this happened.

I hope someone can help me, i really dont have the money to fix the trans.

Thanks.
oldsjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 06:10 PM   #2
Chris Stewart
AF - Advisor

Re: 98 Bravada Dash Gauges Out, Wont get out of 3rd

Check with a local chain type auto parts store and get a free computer scan...we'll discuss it.
Chris Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 04:16 PM   #3
oldsjoe
AF Newbie

Hello and thank you for your responce. I went to Autozone and the codes came up as follows. P0740, P0753, P0785, P0787, P0973, P1860. They said these are transmission codes. I hope you can tell me something. Thanks again.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:43 PM   #4
Chris Stewart
AF - Advisor

P0740 - TCC Enable Solenoid Circuit Electrical...torque converter circuit.

P0753 - 1-2 Shift Solenoid Circuit Electrical...1-2 shift solenoid circuit.

P0785 - 3-2 Shift Solenoid Circuit Electrical....3-2 shift solenoid circuit.

P0787 - Shift/Timing Solenoid Low....computer's not seeing a shift after it sends shift command.

P0973 - PCM detects an open or short to ground in the 1-2 SS valve circuit...computer sees shift solenoid circuit trouble.

P1860 - TCC PWM Solenoid Circuit Electrical...torque converter apply circuit.

All these point to the 20 wire pigtail connector on the passenger side of the transmission. I've wiggled this connector without raising the car by going under the passenger side at the front door, reached and found the connector and wiggled it a few seconds. It's mounted vertically down on the side of the trans that sticks out and makes a horizonal plane or shelf.
Has this car been in a wreck or took a violent ride off-road?
Old 11-11-2005, 05:48 PM   #5
Chris Stewart
AF - Advisor

After re-reading your post, I wonder about the voltage supply...the battery connections. You might try cleaning and re-connecting the battery cables. Might look at the fuses too.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:35 PM   #6
oldsjoe
AF Newbie

Hello and thank you for your quick reply. Not sure if the car was in an accident, I bought it used but I did order a carfax report on it and it never said anything about an accident. As far as the battery it's pretty new and I did unhook it, clean the terminals and reconnect it at first, to see if resetting the computer would help. What should I do if it is the pigtail connector. Thanks. - Joe
Old 11-11-2005, 08:20 PM   #7
ericn1300
AF Premium User

a whole lotta of error codes there that when combined with the dash light problems seem to indicate a wiring problem.

Chris is probably right, check the tranny connector first. Wiggle it or if you can disconnect it, do so and clean it before reconnecting. As far as the dash lights going out and coming back on you may have a weak short to ground. Check all the wiring you can visualy for wear points, shifting all the cables a bit. Fuses will not come back on. You might want to check or replace the relays
ericn1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 06:38 PM   #8
oldsjoe
AF Newbie

Ok, so I went under the car and looked around the transmission. I'm not sure which wires I should be looking at. There's a big plug (big enough to stop a sink drain), going in face down, near the front of the door, with a few wires coming out of it. Then there is a another plug, going in side ways, more towards the back of the door. My guess is that it is the big plug near the front of the door. I did jiggle it, but, it is difficult to get to, so, i couldnt remove it or clean it. Should I get in closer. What is the best way to remove it and should I disconnect the battery.
Thank You.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:35 PM   #9
Chris Stewart
AF - Advisor

I had a trans code right after buying my '97 Bravada. I had bought a scanner and service manual so I could do some work myself and after getting the code, I pulled & wiggled the 20 wire connector then ran my hand between all the wires and the trans in case the insulation on a wire had worn on a piece of casting flash. I didn't disconnect the connector, just worked it to get the pins to move in the sockets and hopefully got a better connection. I then reset the trouble code and drove the car without another episode for a few years. Since, I've had a troublesome O2 sensor code come in every few months although I haven't found the cause. The scanner has paid for itself a few times just on this car but it's good on friends cars too. www.autotap.com
Old 04-15-2006, 08:29 PM   #10
marksloo
AF Newbie

Hello, I am just finding this site, so the info may be too late. It may help others in the future. If the gages and trans problems start about the same time, the ignition switch is probably defective. Usually, when the gages come back on, it looks as if you just started the car. The dash indicator lights come on momentarily, but the check engine light stays on. the trans is electric therefore causes shifting problems, hope this helps.
marksloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 12:28 PM   #11
oldsjoe
AF Newbie

Thanks for all the help. If it is the ignition switch. Does anyone know how I remove it and replace it. I would like to do this myself. I've taken the steering column apart but do not see the screws holding it on.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 04-18-2006, 09:14 PM   #12
Chris Stewart
AF - Advisor

Most of the time, the ignition switch is mounted on the steering column under the dash. It'll have a long, multi wired pigtail attached.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:11 AM   #13
oldsjoe
AF Newbie

Hey Chris, thanks for the reply. What I really need to know is how to remove it. I've already taken the cover off the steering column. But, I don't see any screws for the ignition switch. Can anyone tell me the right way to remove and replace this. Thanks.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:02 AM   #14
Chris Stewart
AF - Advisor

Try this...
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...CH+REPLACEMENT

Thanks Sfrid073, NizZ8, Recurve and our ol' buddy Blazee
Old 04-20-2006, 09:58 AM   #15
oldsjoe
AF Newbie

Thanks, I think that's gonna help out just fine. I'll report back when I have tried it out. Appreciate the detective work there, Chris.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Bravada