Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Quest | Presage | Serena
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 06:44 AM   #1
gx680
AF Newbie

Rotten Egg Exhaust Smell

We purchased our 2004 Quest in June and frequently notice this rotten egg exhaust smell. Our dealer tested the catalytic converter and claims both are working so he can't replace them under warranty. They suggested changing brand of fuels and experimenting with this. No Luck! It's still happening. We've tried premium and medium grade from different gas stations. Has anyone else had this trouble?
gx680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 11:11 AM   #2
mwebber78
AF Newbie

Talking

its been real cold here and we have the same van and I smell it too. I havent had it looked at since it seemed minor to me and I have had other vehicles do it before. If you find anything out let me know. The van I got is leased so I just assume anything they call "normal" will be normal when they get it back at the end of 3 yrs
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 12:04 PM   #3
chubbybubba1
AF Regular

Does your state run ethanol in the fuel during winter? That might be the smell. They put it in all grades here in Colorado during the winter.
chubbybubba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 10:46 AM   #4
IH8SPM
AF Regular

Re: Rotten Egg Exhaust Smell

Check your battery it gives off the same smell ehen they are leaking or drained.
IH8SPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 11:04 PM   #5
ChippyRN
AF Newbie

gx680...

We purchased a 2004 Quest in September. As soon as it got over 100 miles, it started with the intermittent rotten egg gas smell. 4200 miles and 6 months later... it's still there despite changing the catalytic converter (of course, they put the same one in from another Quest). Through the 6 service calls for this same problem, I've driven 3 other 2004 Quests and all of them have done the exact same thing. The dealer has been completely worthless and exasperating and Nissan corp is even worse. According to them, there is no problem and this is "normal function" of this vehicle. Had they told me I'd have to inhale hydrogen sulfide gas every day because it's "normal", I certainly would NOT have purchased the car. The reply to that was "we don't have to disclose that". They also love to tell me how I'm the only person in the universe with the problem. That despite the fact that I could fill a room with the people who have experienced my car's smell.

I've never been so frustrated in my life and plan on fighting them till my head explodes.
ChippyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 01:02 AM   #6
chubbybubba1
AF Regular

I've never had this problem with our 04'. Again, does your state(s) run ethanol in the fuel supply?
chubbybubba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 04:03 PM   #7
disneyf1
AF Newbie

I have had my Quest for three moths and it started that smell you mentioned just this week. I live in South Carolina an do not believe they allow ethanol in the fuel here. It only occurs (or is noticable) when we pull into the driveway or garage, not at start up.

Please forward any information you have to me, too.

TIA - OZ
disneyf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 09:24 AM   #8
suedep
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx680
We purchased our 2004 Quest in June and frequently notice this rotten egg exhaust smell. Our dealer tested the catalytic converter and claims both are working so he can't replace them under warranty. They suggested changing brand of fuels and experimenting with this. No Luck! It's still happening. We've tried premium and medium grade from different gas stations. Has anyone else had this trouble?
Oh yes I have and I am fighting about it w/ Nissan. they are contacting my dealer that I purchsed my vehilcel from. I want my 1500 down that I put on the lease and all 7 payments I made. I at first had a quest 04 in autumn red. I didnt even take it off the lot, and the compressor failed. I said I wasnt taking the vehicle. So They gave me a silver mist 04 quest. And that is when I had the rotten egg odor. It was really bad. I didnt want to pay for a car that smelled like that , that people didnt want to be in. I went to the dealer and told them, after I brought it to be looked a t3 times, and told me me nothing was wrong, and couldnt fix something that wasnt wrong. I went to another dealer that took it back but I have to finance for 6 years and pay $30 more a month for a 04 xterra. I am fighting for my payments I made on the quest and the 1500 down i put on this lemon vehicle. I put a complaint in w/ Nissan consumer affairs and also my state consumer affairs. Its ben a nightmare with that vehicle. I would also complain to them. please reply
suedep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:19 AM   #9
ENGLISH RICK
AF Newbie

Hi , My sister had the same smell in her 04 quest .. she looked at her air filter and it was coverd in s**t .. so she changed it and now she cant tell the car is running and so far the smell has gone =] hope it works for every 1 else =]
ENGLISH RICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:17 AM   #10
dnaj20
AF Newbie

I have a 06 Nissan Quest and started noticing the rotten egg smell soon after i purchased it. i notified the dealer who said it was just a new car smell burning off. now it's beyond the new car smell burning off and yet still stinks. I have read most posts on here of people's experiences with this problem, but was wondering if anyone actually got nissan to look at and fix the problem and if so, what was it? i have to call nissan but dont want to waste my time bringing my car there if they are still not fixing this problem. Also, does anyone else have a problem with the sliding door (non automatic one) that suddenly sticks shut and you have to practically rip your arm off just to open it?
dnaj20 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Quest | Presage | Serena