Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 04:22 PM   #1
Lubeman
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Lubeman
New type Spark Plug

Does anyone use/have used "Pulstar" Spark Plugs (from Enerpulse) I'm thinking about trying them. Claimed to increase Fuel Economy, HP, Torque & Performance......Guaranteed.
Sounds too good to be true. Any info. will be appreciated!
Thanks.

Last edited by Lubeman; 02-16-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Lubeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:26 PM   #2
RahX
AF Enthusiast

Re: New type Spark Plug

Never heard of anyone having a good experience with them. A couple guys I know that used them in their colorados had to replace a couple coil packs on top of the problems with the truck running. The ignition system is something that usually doesn't benefit from upgrading unless you have some serious boost or internal mods. Those sorts of claims are usually based on a vehicle that is misfiring and running like crap, something that would guarantee spark plugs to fix the problem.
RahX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:45 AM   #3
jdmccright
The RustBuster

The only plugs that I have seen tested (on Horsepower TV) to show any improvement in performance, economy, and emissions are E3. The improvement is small (~5%) and they're pricey at $7 each, but it is an improvement.

Also bear in mind that improvements can vary from engine to engine AND even in different environments. The one tested has a high-power ignition system that might be more capable of taking advantage of the E3s design versus an OEM ignition. Thus, you may have to upgrade the ignition system as a whole to maximixe the benefits...which means more money you would have to recoup to realize the savings.
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2003 GMC Envoy XL
2000 Honda ST1100
2000 Pontiac Sunfire

Vehicle History:
2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD - 1999 Acura Integra GS - 2004 4.7L Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 - 1996 GMC Jimmy 4wd - 1995 Chevrolet C2500 - 1992 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L - 1992 Chevrolet S10 Ext. Cab 4.3L - 1995 Honda ST1100 - 1980 Yamaha XS400 - 1980 Mercury Bobcat.
jdmccright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:09 PM   #4
shorod
SHO No Mo

If you're referring to the same sales pitch, errr, episode that I saw, it was a pretty clear paid endorsement for E3, likely funded by the manufacturer. I've seen similar endorsements for air filters on those shows that speak to all the potential benefits (increased HP, fuel economy), but never the real world applications (only measureable improvements at HIGH rpms which will decrease economy).

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:37 PM   #5
jdmccright
The RustBuster

I concur those shows are usually more infomercial than information, so yes, certainly take it with a grain of salt...or 10-lb bag thereof. You don't know what happens in the footage that was cut or edited that shows all the "tweaking" they did to achieve the end results.

I tried to note the exceptions, but yes, there are many variables that are at work and simply changing to a pricier "super-turbo-triple-platinumized" plug may or may not make a difference. That's why I suggested a more complete ignition upgrade so that there is no weak link in the system...I'm just bad at conveying it in writing. Thanks.
2003 GMC Envoy XL
2000 Honda ST1100
2000 Pontiac Sunfire

Vehicle History:
2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD - 1999 Acura Integra GS - 2004 4.7L Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 - 1996 GMC Jimmy 4wd - 1995 Chevrolet C2500 - 1992 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L - 1992 Chevrolet S10 Ext. Cab 4.3L - 1995 Honda ST1100 - 1980 Yamaha XS400 - 1980 Mercury Bobcat.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:08 PM   #6
shorod
SHO No Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmccright View Post
..."super-turbo-triple-platinumized" plug may or may not make a difference. That's why I suggested a more complete ignition upgrade so that there is no weak link in the system...I'm just bad at conveying it in writing. Thanks.
You should market such a plug, just badge engineer an Bosch Platinum, triple the price (hence the "triple" part of the name) and make some money. I bet you'd sell the heck out of them.

You actually did a pretty good job of conveying possible reasons the show claimed an improvement, I did a poor job of reading that paragraph.

-Rod
Old 02-27-2010, 12:37 AM   #7
RahX
AF Enthusiast

Spark plug tech hasn't changed very much since the dawn of internal combustion due to one main, undeniable factor. A normal spark plug is the most efficient and refined design that leaves very little room for improvement. It is simple yet effective. To improve upon a normal spark plug would be similar to reinventing the wheel. Spark plugs will be the same until internal combustion is dead and gone. Getting it wrong is easy, just ask Bosch and their crappy platinum plugs.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:21 AM   #8
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahX View Post
Spark plug tech hasn't changed very much since the dawn of internal combustion due to one main, undeniable factor. A normal spark plug is the most efficient and refined design that leaves very little room for improvement. It is simple yet effective. To improve upon a normal spark plug would be similar to reinventing the wheel. Spark plugs will be the same until internal combustion is dead and gone. Getting it wrong is easy, just ask Bosch and their crappy platinum plugs.
Agreed. All those fancy plugs with slight engineering variences are following an old marketing technique called "product differentiation". This is seen mostly with products that are viewed as a price-sensitive commodity, with relatively little brand preference.

So, these slight differences result from a marketing move, not from any particular engineering breakthrough. Therefore, I have little confidence that there really is a worthwhile improvement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_differentiation
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:23 PM   #9
jdmccright
The RustBuster

I don't care how many times it's "platinized", Bosch Pt plugs suck. Not even I would do that to the good people of Earth...well maybe Iran...or North Korea.

You want an innovation in spark plug tech? Get rid of the single-point ignition point in the cylinder. Try Ford's development of a laser ignition plug. Imagine being able to focus a laser into multiple points inside a cylinder chamber for a faster burn by eliminating the single flame front. Many smaller wave fronts consuming the fuel/air at the same time, resulting in a faster, more complete combustion. Makes you think of the possibilities.
2003 GMC Envoy XL
2000 Honda ST1100
2000 Pontiac Sunfire

Vehicle History:
Old 02-27-2010, 03:45 PM   #10
RahX
AF Enthusiast

That is a tricky feat though. Multiple mis-timed flame fronts can cause detonation like symptoms. Imagine those clacky balls on a handle. When you get them swinging right they clack perfectly, get one out of time with the other and you have a hard time gettin em back in unison. I dunno, probably one of those technologies you would have to see to believe lol. 90% of the crap out there with incredible claims all boil down to the same thing. If anyone can make a buck on a gimmick they will. Like P.T. Barnum said - "There is a sucker born every minute" Bosch platinums don't use a big enough electrode, it is the size of a clicker pencil lead, or smaller. They break off almost instantly and ANY amount of gas can foul the fking things out. When I worked at an independent shop I used to change those things all the time. The #1 complaint was that they cost like 4-5$ a plug.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:42 PM   #11
jdmccright
The RustBuster

the laser beam can be split into multiple focused beams at the plug using a multi-faceted lens, meaning multiple ignition points occurring simultaneously. I do wonder how to prevent fouling of the lens...guess I should stop worrying & let the braniacs figure it out.

As for the Bosch Pt's, as you said the electrode is very thin, and is surounded by the insulator such that only the very tip is exposed. When I used them once, the electrode eroded away into the insulator and I could not effectively re-gap it because the gap tool would touch the insulator instead of the worn down electrode. Sucky design. And their +2, +4, or however many there are are a joke. Bosch? Never again.
8900b/MR2 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11)
Old 10-27-2014, 01:50 PM   #12
1LEguy
AF Newbie

Re: Pulstar spark plugs worked for me

I just tried the Pulstar plugs and I have to admit I was a skeptic especially with the cost. I was quite impressed with throttle response and gas mileage increase. Anyone can pay a celebrity to endorse a plug like many of the so called premium plugs do. This is the only new plug I have tried that really makes me feel any difference. Will keep you posted as time goes on. Oh yeah tried every Bosch made and none of them did anything but turn check engine light on. E3 did the same thing too.
1LEguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 04:12 PM   #13
Lubeman
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Lubeman
Exclamation Re: Pulstar spark plugs worked for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEguy View Post
I just tried the Pulstar plugs and I have to admit I was a skeptic especially with the cost. I was quite impressed with throttle response and gas mileage increase. Anyone can pay a celebrity to endorse a plug like many of the so called premium plugs do. This is the only new plug I have tried that really makes me feel any difference. Will keep you posted as time goes on. Oh yeah tried every Bosch made and none of them did anything but turn check engine light on. E3 did the same thing too.
I researched the Pulstar plug a couple years ago. I was told by 2 different automotive shops that they have had customers who had to have all the coil packs replaced due to Pulstar plugs burning them out! I have ran the E3 plugs with very good results, but I'm getting same results with NGK Iridium Plugs.
Lubeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:16 PM   #14
1LEguy
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubeman View Post
I researched the Pulstar plug a couple years ago. I was told by 2 different automotive shops that they have had customers who had to have all the coil packs replaced due to Pulstar plugs burning them out! I have ran the E3 plugs with very good results, but I'm getting same results with NGK Iridium Plugs.
I was told that Pulstar has changed complete configuration and gotten away from the precious metals game. 5 million watts vs 50 watts which is what all other plugs produce. They are using a capacitor to achieve this. I've tried every flavor of Bosch they are worst plug I have ever used. So far these are working and have much better throttle response.
1LEguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:39 PM   #15
shorod
SHO No Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEguy View Post
I was told that Pulstar has changed complete configuration and gotten away from the precious metals game. 5 million watts vs 50 watts which is what all other plugs produce. They are using a capacitor to achieve this.
There must be some fine print involved there, like for off-road applications only on a non-computerized engine. I don't see any way they could get 5 megawatts, even for a fraction of a second, using a standard coil and resistance spark plug wires. Power is not free, so even with a capacitor they are not going to be producing energy.

-Rod

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical