Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Quest | Presage | Serena
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 02:02 AM   #1
CHRIST75
AF Newbie

98 quest shifter cable

The cable on my 98 sudently is hard, it feels like it's pulling something hard and feels like it's a little off, all these when changing from parking to R N D and it doesn't go into park well, i have to press and hold it up on park so i can start car if i don't do this it won't start cos even it's all the way it may not be on park to start.

I've seen some other car to fail and brake shifting line but they get loose rather than hard like it's doing on mine. Any ideas?

Also the switch from the lock doors go crazy, i'd unlock with remote and right before open door it will lock again, another time i'll unlock/open door and it will lock just after opening door, other times it will lock and unlock rapidly, and all these by itselt, what's going on ? Thanks
CHRIST75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:00 PM   #2
CHRIST75
AF Newbie

Re: 98 quest shifter cable

Sorry for the double post my computer has been horrible, i tried to the Edit/delete but can't do it it just takes me to the edit thing with no option to delete the thread/post.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:45 AM   #3
CHRIST75
AF Newbie

I found the problem, it was a weird one but i could happen to anyone
Old 08-27-2009, 05:51 PM   #4
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Would you be so kind and post the fix, so others have a clue as what to look for.

thanks
tempfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 01:03 AM   #5
CHRIST75
AF Newbie

Yeah kinda weird like i said.
I had a new set of engine mounts ( 4, two on engine two on trans ) cos last time i went under saw them cracked, and just a couple of days before doing the job the darn shifter cable got hard to pull back to park and didn't feel right when in D D1..., well i finally had the car on ramps to replace the mounts and i saw that the metal tube ( of the front engine mount )where the bolt goes through was all the way to the bottom of the mount, and that's like an inch down where it should be, the weight of the engine just pushed it down, and the other mounts didn't help either cos they were cracked, so when i got the main front one replaced the problem went away : what happen is that the front of the engine dropped by the bad front mounts were pulling the shifter cable ( shifter cable is in front , on trans side ) and this pull didn't make it easy to shift, so that's why it felt hard, all the mounts were bad so they didn't help either but when i got the main front one changed it felt right again and after changing all of them the car drives & shift like new now.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:56 AM   #6
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

thanks for posting fix
Old 04-24-2011, 01:30 PM   #7
supercivic86
AF Newbie

I have a 96 and the shift indicator was all loose and i would have to push it really hard into park before it would start. now the indicator line doesn't move at all. It still goes into r n and d fine i just cant tell which one. Any help would be great. thanks!..
supercivic86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 04:17 PM   #8
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercivic86 View Post
I have a 96 and the shift indicator was all loose and i would have to push it really hard into park before it would start. now the indicator line doesn't move at all. It still goes into r n and d fine i just cant tell which one. Any help would be great. thanks!..

You will need to remove the instrument cluster to get to the indicator which I believe is attached to the shifeter tube in the steering column

Here is a link for a online service manual:

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/

Scroll down to Quest
then choose year

go to the index and look for section and page for the indicator.

hope this helps
Old 05-06-2011, 04:36 PM   #9
supercivic86
AF Newbie

Dang, That is alot of s@%t to take apart. Not only does the indicator not work but the shift lever itself is really loose and floppy. So far I have taken off the cover of the steering colume and noticed that there is a (kinda a sleeve that goes around a rod conected to the shift lever itself) that has a plactic piece that is worn out and split in half and has slipped down out of place. I have pushed it back in place and also put small shims in with it to hold it in place. it held the piece in, but did nothing to make the shift lever less floppy. have you ever done this before. Van only has 120k miles on it and im trying to sell it....Should i try and fix it or just sell as is? any help would be great. thx....
Old 05-13-2011, 10:59 AM   #10
supercivic86
AF Newbie

Fixed it. Thx for all the help.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:33 PM   #11
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercivic86 View Post
Fixed it. Thx for all the help.
supercivic86; could you also post your fix?? peoples fixes can be helpful to others in the future. thanks

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Quest | Presage | Serena