Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > 323/Protegé/Familia/Etude/Allegro
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 02:02 AM   #1
Ice98
AF Newbie

1994 Mazda Protege Problems (gas cuts out?, read on)

Well, i cant figure out whats wrong

when in neutral, it revs just fine to 3k RPM or so, i havnt gone higher

when im driving it seems like it gets power for 3-4 seconds, then cuts out (like back to idle), as if i had let up on the gas, i pump the gas 3-4 times and it runs again...then the cycle repeats, i just got a new muffler, and tires, i dont know if theres any wires that may be pinched perhaps....

im no expert, and i have no idea what certain RPMS sound like, i do shift pretty well, but from my view point, i think the car has been idling kind of high, although maybe thats just because my car has been running with basically ONLY a resonator (muffler/pipe were destroyed) and has been VERY loud

its hard to tell my exact RPM since i have no tac, and to save money i skipped the resonator on my new muffler (VERY quiet)

I dont know if its the transmission, fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel injectors, air filter, or what, but it seems like its not getting steady, consistant power

please help!! it would be very much appreciated, im on a limited budget, and i just had to pay for new tires/install, and a new muffler, and i know theres repairs to come

OH, also, last time i got my oil changed (about 1k miles ago) i was told that i needed new fan belts, any possibilty that they are slipping and causing the problem?

Edit

'94 protege
~118K miles

regular oil changes as long as i have owned it... (10-11k miles)
Ice98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 12:59 PM   #2
Ice98
AF Newbie

Re: 1994 Mazda Protege Problems (gas cuts out?, read on)

anyone???
Ice98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 05:29 AM   #3
Flash75
AF - Advisor

What do you mean when you say the muffler and pipe were destroyed? Were they flattened because the car ran over something? Was the converter damaged? Any flattened or damaged exhaust system parts could cause a running problem. The EGR valve can also cause problems but it usally affects low engine speeds. The belts are not the cause of you running problem. Is your check engine light on? How does your air cleaner look? Without a more specific description it's hard to say what is causing the problem you describe. You can visually inspect the items I have mentioned at no cost to you, the EGR valve would need to be removed, tested and cleaned if working. Give us more information if you can.

Clifton
Flash75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:43 PM   #4
Doug Tatham
AF Enthusiast

I'd have the fuel pressure checked. When you open the throttle, it lets in more air. The air sensor tells computer to tell the fuel injectors to open longer. If your fuel pump is weak, it behaves like you're not getting any gas. The fuel pump is under the back seat and easy to replace.

Change your oil every 5 thousand miles at the least.
Doug Tatham is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > 323/Protegé/Familia/Etude/Allegro