Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Games > Gran Turismo Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 10:36 PM   #1
VAD0R
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to VAD0R Send a message via AIM to VAD0R
Lightbulb Xbconnect like,Pulling an online Halo on GT4

I am really pissed that they removed the online mode, I mean just because they want to earn a couple more $$$ for releases it for Christmas and they put a number of delays on it just to try to fix that feature too.

Then again, it is not so insane to release just in time to hit the shelves right before Christmas Eve. But I'm still pissed.

But then something came to mind, I started wondering if GT4 still has a link feature, even though I heard they removed it. But if they did not people can do the same exact thing that got people to play Halo online or got people to play online without having to pay for XBOX live using a program called Xbconnect. What they did was download it and use the program to assign an IP address to the XBOX (if it did not have a router address already, then they probably used that). You either got your XBOX to connect or click on one of the other hosting XBOX games on that program. You then went to link mode and vwalah you are connected with other people. I saw this done on TechTV, before it was bought over by Comcast.

Now does GT4 have a link mode and if it does, you think that Xbconnect could be modified to include PS2 users as well? I am aware it is a pipe dream. Or perhaps someone can develop a third party application of their own to get people to play GT4, and normally games that do not have an online feature to get on the net?
VAD0R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 01:46 PM   #2
jmrev
AF Enthusiast

Re: Xbconnect like,Pulling an online Halo on GT4

like i-link in gt3. who cares about the internet connection, i wasnt going to use it anyways. All im saying is as long as i get it.
jmrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 08:47 PM   #3
VAD0R
AF Regular

So why did you post here again?

Then can I get someone to post here who does care?

Anyway on a side note there is one problem, XBOX uses a standard CAT5 cable in order to link XBOXes while the PS2 in contrast uses S400 or 4-pin Firewire cable. Now on further research that is not as bad as it seems since there are cables out there that have S400 on one end and a standard 1394 6-pin connector on the other, http://dv411.com/19569.html (this can be our key to go online with non-online games that have an i-link feature . Or for people who do not have their computer by them or doesn't have a firewire router handy with them can probably use a 1394 to standard USB adapter, then if you do not have a computer with USB or a router/ wireless bridge that does not support it you can by a two way standard usb cable. Then buy an UBB to Ethernet bridge/adapter and use a CAT5 cable to run to its final destination. Unless someone can help me find a 1394 bridge.

After that the only thing we have to worry about is whether we have broadband connections so we can stream this smoothly enough so its playable.

But thanks jmrev for posting, at least it put me in the top area for a bit longer.

And as for people who have later PS2s and lack the i-link firewire port, I heard that USB could substitute for the Firewire's absence. If that is the case, then making our i-linked (or i-linked like) PS2s going online a bit more easier and perhaps even a bit cheaper.

Look here:http://www.answerbag.com/q_view.php/44

I also heard you can get i-link to work over the internet adaptors. I know that Syphon Filter: Omega supports LAN.

Last edited by VAD0R; 10-21-2004 at 10:24 PM.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:27 PM   #4
VAD0R
AF Regular

SCATCH THAT, NOW I KNOW YOU CAN!

http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/
Old 10-22-2004, 03:11 PM   #5
jmrev
AF Enthusiast

Re: Xbconnect like,Pulling an online Halo on GT4

honestly are you really going to use it?
jmrev is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Games > Gran Turismo Series