Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > GLC
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 04:32 PM   #1
wavers1
AF Newbie

glc needed

i am looking for a rwd mazda glc 2 door hatchback. anything in halfway decent shape will work. i would prefer a 79- 80. anyone, please let me know if you have a glc that you would even consider selling. i will make it more than worth your while. i will pay top dollar for one in good condition, and will pick up the car anywhere in 49 states.
wavers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 08:26 PM   #2
wavers1
AF Newbie

Talking Re: glc needed

yes! i finally found another glc after 5 years of looking! i got a '78 3 door with only 57,000 original miles! the guy only had it 4 monthes, he got it when a 97 year old relative died. it sat in a garage from '94 till late '05. the guy even had the seats re-appulstered, front and back, with vinyl imitation leather(lasts longer than real leather). he put new brake pads and michelins on it, and still sold it to me for $500!!! it's unbeleivably clean! almost everything works perfectly and it drives like a champ! the factory radio still sounds good! there's virtually no rust and there is only a couple of small dents, except for the rear hatch. i need a new hatch, this one has a tear in the metal. luckily most years hatches are interchangable. what's not interchangable is the front end! the 77-78 has by far the best body styling of all the glc's. the back is the same from 77-80. after 80 the style goes downhill. the 77-78 has a much more sculpted front end and hood, it's not flat like all later models are. it's just what i wanted! RWD with a carb, manuel tranny and a stock elect. ignition! i don't prefer the fuel inj. because it'e more libel to break and it costs more. i love old technology that's designed to be simple and work good! the paint is faded on one side, but the other side still has the original 70's decals! i will post pics soon and update as i restore the car. believe me, not that much needs to be done. first i'm going to get all the electronics and mechanical squared away how i want(some mods, not too crazy), so that i won't need to rip it apart once the inside looks good. i'll put a 1000-1200 watt stereo in incognito. a custom cover for the back area to cover the woofers. re-appulster the inside black(stock color), so everything matches. i'll have the dash covered, becuese i just got a new old stock dash and i don't want that one to crack because it's probly the last glc dash left on earth without a crack! tint the windows dark, bout 5%, there's no real limit where i live. then i'll get the little bit of body work done and throw a nice paint job on it. shit will be choice!
Old 02-06-2006, 03:10 PM   #3
skooge
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to skooge
Re: glc needed

congrats man. I need to reappolster the seats on mine.
skooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:15 AM   #4
metalhead140
AF Newbie

Sounds like a nice buy. Very lucky.
metalhead140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:00 AM   #5
wavers1
AF Newbie

true, true. it'll be sitting for the next couple years. i'm actually thinking of a dohc 1.6 turbo from a miata. there's also a 1.7 deisel you can use, but that engine was never sold in america, so i would have to order it from chech or something.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:50 PM   #6
metalhead140
AF Newbie

There are a few other options too. With a 1600cc 808 engine/suspension crossmember (bolt in replacement) you can fit the NA 1600cc engine from an 808 (obviously) the MA 2000cc engine from a rwd 626, and I *think* that the FE engines from late 80's 929s may also fit. Of the FE engines, there was a carbied and an injected 2000cc, and also the FET motor, a 2000cc injected turbo motor. Stock these are relatively tame, as they are non-intercooled and run relatively low boost. But they are the same engine as in 626 turbos, mx6 turbos and ford telstar turbos. None of those blocks are any good to you, as they're setup for fwd, but because they are a reasonably popular engine, there is a good supply of aftermarket internals and other goodies. They are a good motor, and they share the same bore and stroke as an SR20. I believe that fitting the crank from later mx6s to get a 2.2l motor may be an option as well. This is all stuff that I have only come across fairly recently, but I am very tempted to do a conversion on the daily. I haven't yet done enough research to be certain that it will fit, but it appears probable. Even stock these should be good for around 80-90rwkw, which is similar to my previous carby 12a powered 323 that was surprisingly quick. Still demolished most newer cars.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:25 PM   #7
wavers1
AF Newbie

good info. they didn't sell the 808 here, and very very few rwd 626's. most of the things you mentioned, like a 929, are about as rare as glcs parts(believe me, they are rare here). theres not one rotary garage that i know of for about 500 miles. the rotary engines are the most readily available here. plus, none of the other engines will rev to 10k rpm's very easily.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:32 PM   #8
metalhead140
AF Newbie

Fair enough. Thinking about it, I have a feeling that the 808 was called an 818 in America. Basically, I'm talking about the piston powered version of an Rx3?

Guess I'm lucky I'm in Australia, though I still have trouble finding parts sometimes.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > GLC