Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Montana/Montana SV6
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 09:42 PM   #16
gkindub
AF Regular

Re: Anyone change plugs on their Montana?...

For sure changing plugs is a chore! Luckily I only do it once every 50-70k miles. I believe GM designed this vehicle only to be serviced by its own techs/mechanics and tried to make it a non-user serviceable product. How else could such simple maintanace tasks as changing plugs, oil, and air filter be made so difficult? Of course I have spent 0 time under the hood of any other minivan on the road. My 2/100$. Catesja, you have 50K+ miles to think about redoing those plugs yourself

hufhouse, sounds like you have been working your A off! I hope everything
goes together nicely for you( no rework).
Regards, gb
gkindub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:48 PM   #17
rcpwlh
AF Newbie

I just changed the plugs and wires on my 01 Montana because I had a misfire on cylinder #5 (of course it couldn't be 2,4, or 6). Anyways I followed some instructions here and in the repair manual, but the best advise I can add is make sure that you take the altenator out of the mounts. You can leave it sit back there, but with it out of the way it is a lot easier to remove the ignition coils.

The job ended up taking me about 5 hours total not trying to hurry at all, just doing a good job.... I don't ever want to do that agian!! What sadist designed that.
rcpwlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:42 PM   #18
newfiejeff
AF Newbie

Smile Re: Anyone change plugs on their Montana?...

Here is a post from before.

spark plug removal of a 2002 pontiac montana

#1 - jack the vehicle up and use jack stands to support the van in case jack gives out.
#2 - you can reach up and get the plugs from underneath the van, use a light to shine down on the back of the engines from up top
#3 - the first plug on the left you will need a 3/8 ratchet and spark plug socket
#4 - the middle plug you will need a 3/8 spark plug ratchet and a short extension and spark plug socket and you can get both hands on the ratchet and extension, one hand(arm) on either side of the exhaust pipe
#5 - the plug on the right is a bit difficult but not to hard you will need a 3/8 spark plug ratchet and a spark plug socket. To get the boot off you will need a pair of needle nose visegrips to pull it off as you can't get your hand firmly on it enough.
I have changed all 3 rear plugs in about an hour.
Make sure that you twist the spark plug boot first to break the seal they have with the spark plug, then pull your brains out with a twisting motion.

Jeff
newfiejeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:09 PM   #19
tdtman
AF Newbie

Exclamation Re: Anyone change plugs on their Montana?...

for me it was pretty easy... when I figured that you have more room when you remove the 2 rear crossmember bolts and removing the coil pack/ignition module.But I still believe that changing those 3 back plugs are a pain in the ... mostly that after 5000km I will need to change the ignition wires. Good luck and don't lose patience you'll get it!
tdtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:33 PM   #20
kjlundgren
AF Newbie

Forget jacking up the car and getting underneath it, or shifting the engin forward!!

Just spent 2 hours fighting with the clearance and leverage problem by going under the montana. Yes you can get the plugs but the leverage is ridiculous. I'm not savvy enough to move the engine forward and don't have the correct equipment so I thought why not move the engine coil (the thing that all the spark plug wires plug into). Removed it and reached behind and BAM!! the spark plugs are right there all 3.

1. unglug engine coil. should be 1 on the left side when facing the engine and 2 on the right side.

2. unscrew engine mount bolts. should be one just to the left and right of the black box sitting in front of engine coil. Not sure what that black box is called but it's about 3 inches wide and 2 inches deep. you'll need a 10mm socket or wrench.

3. You will have to jack up van to get to the two other mount bolts. If you are down there and can get the spark plugs out then good for you and do it. However if you can't get the leverage, then continue taking off engin coil. The two bolts are just to the right and left of the muffler. The nuts come off with a 1/2 inch wrench. (kinda weird that the whole van comes apart with a 10mm socket but not those two nuts) anyway.

4. After all the nuts and screws are out and you have unplugged EVERYTHING. The coil will slide up off the rear bolts and then twist out. Turn the right side to the back and push toward the starter. You'll have to wiggle it out but it does come out.

5. BAM! reach behind and you'll have access to all three plugs and wires.

Hope this helps someone.
kjlundgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 06:59 PM   #21
mstewart62
AF Newbie

Just competed sparkplug replacement on a 2002 Montana. Waited till vehicle had 142,000 miles and had developed a terrible miss.

I followed a combination of what kjlungren and ced_snyder suggested. In a nutshell, I rotated the engine and pulled the coil set. Plenty of room to access the plugs when this is done. The plug boots were really tough to remove in one piece, but with some patience they can be removed. Plugs came loose very easily.
Total time about 3 1/2 hours.
mstewart62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:46 AM   #22
Cripple
AF Newbie

Taking off your coil makes it much easier to do a plug change. Using anything other then AC Delco will cause errors and rough idle unless you change your plug wires and coil system. Without changing all 3 you will have issues that are going to cost you money.
Cripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:31 PM   #23
nevada1
AF Newbie

when moving engine foward does the exhust pipe and fuel line need to be undone?
nevada1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:36 PM   #24
rkvons
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevada1 View Post
when moving engine foward does the exhust pipe and fuel line need to be undone?
Those two items should be flexible and should not need special treatment.
rkvons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:30 PM   #25
russells350
AF Newbie

Rather than change spark plugs on my Montana, I decided to trade it in. Best choice that I have ever made!!!! R
russells350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:03 PM   #26
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Cold engine, remove dog bones, and pull that engine forward, and a double ball swivel setup.....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #27
jchinderle
AF Newbie

i know this thread is pretty old but if it helps anybody out you dont actually have to remove anything on the engine or tilt the engine to get at the back spark plugs. if you get under the van and follow the exhaust pipe, you can get to the spark plugs. i just changed mine and the boots stuck pretty good so it was tough to get the wires off but on the last plug that i did (#5) i was tired of trying to wrestle off these wires so i tied a thin rope into a slip knot from above the engine then got back under the van and secured it on the boot, then went back to the top of the engine and just pulled the rope and it popped off, not easy peezy but it came off. i will try to attach a pic so you can see what im talking about, in the pic you can see my ratchet on the plug... all in all it took me a couple of hours to get them changed out...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg backplugs.jpg (164.6 KB, 6 views)
jchinderle is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Montana/Montana SV6