Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 01:26 AM   #1
ElleanorEliza
AF Newbie

Cool Can someone help?

Soo I've never hooked up my own speaker system or anything BUT I bought a new car today {yay!} so now I have NOTHING and going a bit insane driving around.

I got given a JVC 12" sub && I have 4 8" Kenwood speakers && a Kenwood head unit.

Can anyone help me understand how to "plug it in" and make it all work together?

SO CONFUSED

Anything would be great, thanksss

Elleanor x
ElleanorEliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:31 AM   #2
PaulD
Audio Guy

Send a message via AIM to PaulD Send a message via Yahoo to PaulD
Re: Can someone help?

8" Kenwood speakers ?

There is a section in the Newbie thread on how to install stuff. Best thing to do with the headunit is to get a harness and wire it up, easy and painless. The sub will require an amp to get any real output. Let me know if you have any specific questions.
PaulD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
nicks84
AF Regular

Re: Can someone help?

Might be easier to decide what or how you want to run. This can be easier if we know what equipment you have.

The 8's might be a bit much to run if you already have a sub. What I would do is scratch the 8's (unless you have an accomadable high end and several amps dedicated to mids, high, and lows). Use the 12 as a sub, which as Paul said would require an amp. Then use the factory speakers (or aftermarket) for high end.

Amps usually come with a workable crossovers so no need to get one of those unless you want a better one. But Im guessing the equipment is limited.

If you are set on running the 8's, you can do so as dedicated midbass (if you have the space). But usually the stock fittings do not accomadate for such luxurys.

In short, run factory speakers for high end and mids, then the 12 as the sub. It wold work better with 2 amps, but not necessary (but it would be so much better). The other thing you could do is get a 5 or 6 chanell hybrid amp that will run yoru whole system with one amp.

Hope this helps
nicks84 is offline   Reply With Quote