Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > Town Car
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
Recoil spring
AF Newbie

How to remove an electrical relay?

Wanted to replace my fuel filter today, read that you need to disconnect either a fuse or a relay to knock out the pump, let the engine run until it stops to release pressure.

Pulled the fuse and the engine ran rough, but then settled down and continued to operate. Tried to pull the relay, it would wiggle but not come out. Tried to remove another one, also locked in, despite having strong hands I could not get it to come out. Even tried a pliers, but I know better than to use heavy force on a part that won't budge as I will break things. Is there a special tool to unplug those? Ford is usually good about having a release latch, could not see one.

In my Lincoln repair book it said to unplug the fuel safety button in the trunk, might try that. However, in the future how do you get the relay switches out if I want to do any electrical repairs?
Recoil spring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
Recoil spring
AF Newbie

Re: How to remove an electrical relay?

Did the job this afternoon, the fuel pump relay needs to be wiggled out (rocked from side to side) while pulling up, having read this on the Saturn forum, although tough to remove according to them, but I ended up breaking the plastic cover with a vise grips on the relay and used a screw driver to pry up on the internal element to get it out. Make sure your battery is disconnected first. I would not recommend using a pressure tool like a pliers on those plastic relay covers, they break.

The fuel filter was not the easiest I have done, but it is now with a new one for my piece of mind. Ironically the relay did function fine without the plastic cover, I purchased a new one but wanted to use the old for testing in case I had to unplug it again, then put in the new unit.

It would be nice if there was a convenient tool to remove those hard to get out relays as my car is getting old and I am sure I will have to pull another relay down the road as they get tired from age.
Recoil spring is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > Town Car