Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Tips and Maintenance Procedures
Tips and Maintenance Procedures Post helpful tips, maintenance guides and R&R procedures for all Buick models here.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 09:01 PM   #76
Patster1974
AF Newbie

Re: 4T65E Trans Shift Hard, P1811 DTC

I just finished reading this entire thread (still digesting!) and it has give me a little hope!
I just bought a 2000 montana since the Grand-AM was no longuer big enough due to the latest addition to our family (it's a BOY!). I tried the van long enough to warm it up good before buying it and there was never any issues what's so ever. So we bought it... Only after driving it home (was 4hrs away) did it start the hard shifting thing! I stopped at my brother in-law who is a mechanic and plugged in his scanner. There was a few codes:
P0742 (TCC stuck ON) or something like that
P1811 (we all know what this one is)
and other codes for the O2 sensors... All fluid levels were fine so we erased the codes and drove the rest of the way with absolutely no issues at all?!... Like everyone else it works fine untill it's warmed up then comes the hard shifting. The engine light came on again and the only code that came back was P0742 (no P1811 this time) & the O2 sensor thing again...
I bought some Seafoam Trans Tune and dumped 1/2 the bottle in it (20 kms ago) and the hard shifting is still present except now it doesn't get REAL bad where the van jerks, it just shifts harder then normal & havn't got another code yet.
I want to do a fluid & filter change (already bought the filter & 8ltrs of DEXRON VI) but now I want to try this shift kit that seems to do miracles and save everybody big bucks!!! The only thing I'm not sure is the type of transmission is in this van. Are all 2000 montana equiped with a 4T65E? Would I order the kit which the link in the above post brings me to? I seem to be the only one with the P0742 code, would the kit help resolve my problem?
Thanks ahead of time for any help you can bring me. And a special THUMBS UP to bnaylor for all the help you brought to all these satisfied member! Keep up the good work!
Patster1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:37 AM   #77
Patster1974
AF Newbie

Hi, me again... would this be the kit I would need to get for my 2000 Montana?

http://www.onlinetransmissionparts.c...ift-Kit/Detail

There seems to be different brands of this shift kit, besides the price are they all the same? I'm not looking to get a "racing machine", just want it to work properly...

Thanks.

Last edited by Patster1974; 04-05-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:27 PM   #78
Patster1974
AF Newbie

Here's an update on my situation...

I went ahead and dropped the pan on my transmission and replaced the filter and filled it back up with DEXRON VI. I noticed some metalic like residue in the bottom of the pan and around the magnet (which I cleaned good before re-installing. I then took it for a good run and it looked good up until around 35 kms of driving. It started shifting hard again. I had a scanner plugged in the whole time I was driving. What I noticed is it seems like the transmission isn't downshifting when slowly reducing speed (when I let go the throttle going down hill) it feels like something isn't disingaging and I constantly feel a "chug chug chug" and the RPM bounces as well. When you slowly press on the accelerator (once at a slower speed) it feels like it's still in high gear and the motor's having a hard time (like not downshifting a manual transmission) which is probably why I then got some O2 sensor codes: P0131 & P0137 (both showing a "low voltage")

I am obviously experiencing more symptoms then most people on this thread, am I looking at replacing the trany?
Old 04-06-2011, 08:41 PM   #79
mgssrs
AF Newbie

I thought I would repost this in this tread.

I'm new to this site but have read a lot of good information on here. I have read a lot about the P1811 code and have some questions about it.
I had the trans fluid and filter changed on my 2005 Grand Prix at 96000 mi. The fluid looked and smelled okay before changing. Shortly after we started to notice a slip when starting out from a stop. My wife drives it mostly and thought it was the tires spinning on ice or snow. It only does it once every few days. So I brought it back to the trans shop and they said they notice the slip and pulled the P1811 code. They pulled the pan and filter and found them to be clean but still want to do a complete rebuild.
I don't notice any other hard shifting or the whining that others have talked about with this code. So my questions are.
1 Will the pressure control solenoid cause this slip from a dead stop and not notice the hard shifts in other gears?
2 Is it worth changing the pressure control solenoid without a rebuild?
3 Would the shift kits help at all with the engaging problem at start up?

Thanks for any help on this.
mgssrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:36 AM   #80
Patster1974
AF Newbie

OK, to correct my previous post, it seems I wasn't reading this scanner correctly and last night I noticed I had to go in a "enhanced DTC" mode under a "GM" sub menu to get the codes I was looking for. It's then that I realized that P1811 does comme on in the "current DTC folder" when the hard shifting is felt. Stop the van, turn the ignition off for 30 secs. and start back up and the code is gone... Then the 1-2 gear change is smooth (but long), the P1811 comes back and BANG, here we go again. Besides the noticeable long shifting (between gears), I feel no slippage at all when driving this van. I think I will go ahead and order me one of these shift kits and put it in. (it's cheaper then a transmission) After reading this thread I have a feeling I might get lucky but any comments would be appreciated.

Sorry for the long story

Thanks!
Old 05-05-2011, 05:08 PM   #81
BlueRiff
AF Newbie

Hi All,

I recently installed the TransGo Shift Kit and so far so good, I guess. Are there any other things I should watch out for aside from leaks, maybe signs of incorrect installation, loss of pressure in the accumulator body and what not, what are the symptoms?

Here's what I have observed after a week of driving with light throttle:

-2nd comes in at 1.6k RPMs. It used to be 1.5k, and the needle would kick to about 1.7 RPMs before coming down as it shifts.

-3rd and 4th both at a little over 2k RPMs, are hardly felt so I guess this is ok.

Also, when I'm cruising in 3rd, keeping my foot at the throttle it would wait until a little over 2k RPM before it shifts to 4th. But sometimes just approaching 2k, when I lift my foot it shifts to 4th.

I can feel a slight change when the temperature picks up but nothing like how it used to "judder" before. Let me know if I'm missing something here. It was my first time fiddling with transmission and would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks heaps,
Allan
BlueRiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:08 AM   #82
Patster1974
AF Newbie

Another happy ending!

Well, I installed the Transgo shift kit about a week ago and so far so good! Drove it long enough around town for everything to warm up and it was still shifting nice. No more P1811 wich makes me real happy! Thanks alot to BNaylor and this forum!
Old 05-16-2011, 09:57 AM   #83
XSaaber
AF Newbie

The Transgo kit fixed the hard shift issue for a couple of months, but the problem returned. The garage was taken up by another project car so I took it to the shop and had them replace the PCS. They stated the Transgo shift kit is one they install normally, so no harm done. Now to replace the half axles.
XSaaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:07 PM   #84
nleonard52
AF Newbie

I found this site doing search for a problem that started 5-17-2011 with the car.
My car is a 2002 Chevy Impala 97,000 miles. I had the transmission serviced at around 50,000 miles by the dealer. It's just now started the hard shifts,heard the whining sound once. I noticed when it does the shifting problem the temp gauge will also increase some.I guess it's due to the slipping of the transmission getting hot due to it slipping adding extra heat to the cooling system.
I read these posts on using the Sea foam, changing the fluid, filter and a shift kit.
This car has the 3.8 liter engine so I'm assuming this has the 4T65E trans.
Can the shift kit be purchased at an Auto parts store or can you only get them from an online source? I'm still not sure which kit would be best for me, I only want the car to operate properly, no high performance
I haven't taken it to a dealer or transmission shop for a diagnosis yet.
I don't have a problem with doing the work myself, I have the tools etc.
Thanks in advance.
Norman

Last edited by nleonard52; 05-22-2011 at 10:24 PM. Reason: date wrong
nleonard52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:23 PM   #85
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nleonard52 View Post
I found this site doing search for a problem that started 5-17-02 with the car.
My car is a 2002 Chevy Impala 97,000 miles. I had the transmission serviced at around 50,000 miles by the dealer. It's just now started the hard shifts,heard the whining sound once. I noticed when it does the shifting problem the temp gauge will also increase some.I guess it's due to the slipping of the transmission getting hot due to it slipping adding extra heat to the cooling system.
I read these posts on using the Sea foam, changing the fluid, filter and a shift kit.
This car has the 3.8 liter engine so I'm assuming this has the 4T65E trans.
Can the shift kit be purchased at an Auto parts store or can you only get them from an online source? I'm still not sure which kit would be best for me, I only want the car to operate properly, no high performance
I haven't taken it to a dealer or transmission shop for a diagnosis yet.
I don't have a problem with doing the work myself, I have the tools etc.
Thanks in advance.
Norman
Welcome to AF.

There is no guarantee a shift kit will work. It depends on how bad the PCS is and other variables but for the cost and DIY labor you have nothing to lose versus spending $500 - $2500 on tranny work. The shift kit helps shift timing and may preclude the P1811 DTC from setting or going into a high line pressure mode. Also, some have replaced the PCS but the issue remained. Other transaxle components can cause the issue like internal mechanical, clutch packs, valve body, etc.

Typically you get the shift kit on line. From ZZP Performance, Thrasher or Transgo, etc The kits vary on composition. Some even have the new accumulator springs.

All 2000 and up Impalas have the 4T65E autotransaxle. GM RPO code M15 or MN3.

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
BNaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BNaylor For This Useful Post:
HotZ28 (05-22-2011)
Old 05-22-2011, 10:47 PM   #86
nleonard52
AF Newbie

Thanks for the quick reply BNaylor
I reread my post I had 5-17-02 I meant 5-17 2011. I went ahead and ordered a shift kit from from Transgo. I also purchased the dexron VI atf fluid at Wal mart 8qts.
I got a can of Sea Foam for transmissions, I put in just a little over half of the can. I'll drive the car until the shift kit arrives should be here by the end of this week. I'll drop the pan, changing the fluid and filter, adding the shift kit.
I found a transmission filter at O'Reilly's problem is it's a china made one for $16.00 will this work good?Or should I look else where for a ac delco TF 304 screen filter? I may have a hard time finding this I live in a small town over 60 miles to Amarillo,Tx. Or I can order the filter on line.
I plan on changing the fluid again in a month as there will still be dexron III and some Sea Foam still in the mix as I understand you can't get it all out by just draining the pan, or will it matter?. Should I also change the filter again if you recommend changing the fluid again?
Thanks again for your time
Norman
Here is the prices for all this
I purchased 2 trany filters at auto zone total price $30.29 these were made in Taiwan.
Super tech atf Dexcon VI 8 qts. total $34.38
Sea Foam $11.90
shift kit $62.73......... I purchased this kit as it has springs in case I find a broken spring other wise I'd purchased a zzp kit.
$139.30 total

Last edited by nleonard52; 05-23-2011 at 01:29 PM. Reason: miss spelling
Old 05-27-2011, 09:52 AM   #87
nleonard52
AF Newbie

Well I installed the shift kit etc. The car still has problems with shifting so it looks like I'll be changing out the transmission, it was worth a try using the shift kit. I think having a complete rebuild will be the route for repairing the tranny.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:31 PM   #88
exnjute
AF Newbie

Hi 4T65E thread mates,

I have a 2002 Buick Century, 100K miles with all the typical symtoms plus one. I have read this thread 3 times in the past week. The symtom I have that I haven't seen on the thread is that my trans is not down shifting to 1st when I come to a stop. It is staying in 2nd gear. So I'm taking off in second then I get a hard shift into 3rd. Even flooring it at around 15-20MPH it won't go into 1st.

My car started hard shifting on a cross country trip. When I got home, Salt Lake City, I had the trans serviced/flushed. Fluid was like new and zero metal etc in the pan. Flush did no good and now have added Seafoam and it helped a little. I know, I should have done the Seafoam first. Duh.

My Buick dealer/service mgr who I trust implicitly has checked it out and said I need a PCS and valve body(around $1200).

My question is, should I do the shift kit first to see if it works and eliminates the code or am I just wasting my time and just go ahead with the PCS and valve body? I afraid of doing the $1200 job and not having it fix the problem. Maybe I should just go for a rebuild from the getgo.

I can't do the shift kit myself as I am 70 years old and have trouble working under a car on my back, get dizzy and my eyesight isn't what it used to be.

Thanks for any advice you can give.
exnjute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:01 PM   #89
Patster1974
AF Newbie

For those who might be wondering, our van is still running great since installing the TRANSGO shift kit. Didn't get any shifting issues at all since! Thanks again to BNaylor for this great tip, you saved us ALOT of DOUGH!!
Old 06-16-2011, 09:55 AM   #90
nleonard52
AF Newbie

Here's an update to our cars tranny. We looked around for shops to work on the car. low price was $1500.00 ,1year or12.000 miles warranty. Highest price was $3400.00 but 5 year 100,000 mile warranty and that was from the Chevy dealer who be bought the car from.
I decided to go with the Chevy dealer, they commented they would look at the car and let us know just what they found before any work. Took the car to the dealer my wife drove the car and I followed on the bike, my bike developed a large leak on the front cylinder on the way to the dealer putting me in a not too good of mood.
When I arrived at the dealer my wife and the service man were coming back from test driving the car. He said there wasn't anything wrong. I said your kidding right? Yea he was kidding ,but said he didn't think it was the tranny.
So we leave the car, 2days later he calls said the car is fine!!? he said they found the catalytic converter plugged causing the problems, and no charge! I was dumb founded! Seems Chevrolet will warranty that even if the car is almost 10 years old. The service guy wanted to do a brake flush, spark plugs, and wires along with the serpentine belt. I declined that. I can handle all the things he listed except the brake flush. They say the brake fluid will develop allege I never heard of that.
So now all I have to do is fix the bike which is being done in my garage right now and get the car back and do the repairs to it. I might have let the Chevy dealer do the repairs but money is tight right now for us.
Which auto parts store will carry the best grade of plug wires?
What to do abut the brake fluid if anything at all?
The belt isn't a problem and the spark plugs aren't either.
If your having the trans axle problem it might pay to have it checked by your dealer if you trust him. Could be the catalytic converter? I think one other person has had the catalytic converter plugged and wrote about it on this post.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Tips and Maintenance Procedures