Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Riviera
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 04:44 PM   #1
Vince.n
AF Newbie

Question Troubleshooting my dash cluster in my 91 Riviera

First let me say I've enjoyed looking through this forum. The info I have interpreted has been very helpful. I bought this Riviera $1000 cash. Everything seems to work great except for my dash cluster it has 2 zeros and it also has error. I have read that this could be due to the BCM where someone has tried to alter the odometer. What's even weirder is that when it's very moist or rainy it will work for just a few minutes maybe and then it quits and goes back to what he was doing and then it quits and goes back to what he was doing before can anyone out there help me with this I am desperate to fix it because I can't tell how much fuel I have or how fast if anyone can help me please please do I love this car and I want to fix it up I'm going to restore it.

Thanks ,Vince
Vince.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:07 AM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: Troubleshooting my dash cluster in my 91 Riviera

I can't remember if this is the cluster that uses A-C power.....the unit that powers it I think was located under the center console(if you ever spilt anything there, that could be a problem).......

Could also be a bad connection...take the palm of your hand and hit the top of the dash to see if it has an effect on the cluster...

Is your radio, a CRT screen, where it all touch screen and no knobs?
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 03:44 AM   #3
damanx
AF Newbie

Re: Troubleshooting my dash cluster in my 91 Riviera

AWESOME!!!

Another '91 Riviera owner here.

Just bought mine about a month ago. Maroon paint with the light gray plush interior. Body in excellent shape. 151k on the clock.

Finally got the A/C working, but the low side pressure temperature sensor will need some tweaking since I'm not using R12 or R134. (not using propane or anything flammable.)

In any case, you problem sounds like the cluster is not seeing the serial data from the BCM because that is what feeds the data to it. You will see that same error when the serial data line is disconnected, so, unless you have good reason to believe that a previous owner actually tried to erase and rewrite the prom in the BCM that stores that info, then there is no reason to believe that the BCM is the problem in regards to that.

Now verifying that the wire line from the BCM to the cluster will be a possibility.

I would not be surprised if there were cracked solder joints, which is a good indication because it occasionally works.

First off, you NEED to go and buy this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-GM-Buic...#ht_1599wt_779

Offer the fella 10 bucks, he'll take it I'm sure. I bought one from him for that amount and then decided to get a second from him for the same price. One for the trunk and the other for the small manual library I have.

That manual has EVERYTHING in it. Very detailed info from wiring to troubleshooting and even details all the connector pinouts in it.

Also, I found out real quick that there isn't a whole lot about this generation of Riviera's on the net. Most of what I found that was somewhat helpful in regards to the electrical side was via the Reatta forums as that car is more popular and used the same electricals as the Riviera's of the same period.

But if you get that manual, you should be covered for the most part.

In regards to the cluster, if it turns out that your cluster is bad, I have an extra that I picked up from a local scrap yard. Wasn't cheap, but wasn't as expensive as those on ebay and it works.

But let's first make sure that the cluster is getting the serial data.

Last edited by damanx; 06-30-2015 at 10:39 AM.
damanx is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Riviera