Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes
WIP - Motorbikes Post topics for any "Works In Progress" motobikes projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 05:26 PM   #16
Twowheelsrule
AF Enthusiast

Re: Custom Bike Project

I forgot about Humbrol. I use several of their metallic paints here and there. They are oil based enamel and flow nicely. The parts that I have painted with it have come out good. I like it better than Testors enamels but, sometimesTestors has the color I need.

Mark
Twowheelsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:11 AM   #17
Tombag
AF Newbie

Hey guys,

Another one of the challenges for this has been finding accurate brakes. The closest I found was this photoetch on Hiroboy: http://www.hiroboy.com/catalog/produ...oducts_id=1494

I was planning on getting two sets for the front brakes but also because it has an exhaust clamp I really needed. Hiro have sold out though and apparently might not be in stock again for a while, is there anywhere else I might be able to find this?

Cheers,
Tom
Tombag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:19 AM   #18
cinqster
AF Enthusiast

Interesting project!

As Mark suggested there are similarities with the 888 (especially the seat unit) - I'd be tempted to start sectioning the bodywork on one, rather than starting from scratch.

Regarding the bending tubing issue - solid rod will bend with less kinking and may be the answer.

Good luck
cinqster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:32 AM   #19
Tombag
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinqster View Post
Interesting project!

As Mark suggested there are similarities with the 888 (especially the seat unit) - I'd be tempted to start sectioning the bodywork on one, rather than starting from scratch.

Regarding the bending tubing issue - solid rod will bend with less kinking and may be the answer.

Good luck
Cheers, although the 888 has some similarities it's nowhere near as close as I'd like. I reckon it'd need modification to the point that scratchbuilt pieces will produce much better results. Roca is helping me out with this and 3D reference models are being built as well so in that regard everything is rocketing!

Hiro also said that they might never get more of those tube benders as well so the rod sounds like a good idea, where might I be able to get something like that? If I do get tubing is there a DIY tube bending method to prevent crimping?

Cheers,
Tom
Old 09-08-2009, 11:23 AM   #20
cinqster
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombag View Post
Cheers, although the 888 has some similarities it's nowhere near as close as I'd like. I reckon it'd need modification to the point that scratchbuilt pieces will produce much better results. Roca is helping me out with this and 3D reference models are being built as well so in that regard everything is rocketing!

Hiro also said that they might never get more of those tube benders as well so the rod sounds like a good idea, where might I be able to get something like that? If I do get tubing is there a DIY tube bending method to prevent crimping?

Cheers,
Tom
Don't know of any tube benders for small tubes. I have an old brake pipe bending tool but it's designed for >5mm pipe. I am planning on turning some smaller bobbins for it so I can do smaller stuff - having said that I've had some success bending 2mm alloy tube with no kinking, you just have to be very gentle with it. I normally coax the stuff around an appropriately sized hex socket which is bolted to a flat board. May be worth getting some tube and trying it out?

Any good model shop should do solid rod (but normally in brass) - brands like K&S do it. Alloy rod is harder to find, - Homebase do it in 4mm and upwards - fine for the 1/8th stuff! I used their 8mm rod for the chassis tubes on my project below (last page) - bugger to bend that stuff though!

Where are you in London? They are some speciality metal suppliers around (Park Royal spring to mind).

If you are thinking of doing the exhausts, heavy duty solder works well, it bends easily and polishes up a treat!
Old 09-08-2009, 11:40 AM   #21
cinqster
AF Enthusiast

Forgot another option - ally TIG wire. Comes in a huge variety of diameters - more so than on this link:

http://www.toolnweld.com/Products/We...ire_Aluminium/

Not used it myself yet!
Old 09-09-2009, 04:50 PM   #22
Tombag
AF Newbie

I managed to find some of the tube benders so bought those plus a Tamiya TZ250M as a donor kit. I decided to go with some other brakes which should serve just as well however I'll need two decent looking exhaust clamps, now I'd need to either make some or find something similar.

This is the (now sold out) simplified RC211V photoetch, I have highlighted the clamp which had looked perfect for my project:
http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/a...g/RCVclamp.jpg
Old 09-21-2009, 01:42 PM   #23
Roca46
AF Enthusiast

Hi all,

Let's give some life to this thread, as you may know I'm doing the body work for Tom, and I will upload here the progress of that job.

I hope you like them.

More this weekend.

Roca.
Roca46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:37 PM   #24
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

So it's joint venture modeling nowadays, huh? Will be great!
Old 09-21-2009, 06:09 PM   #25
Tombag
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelwideqvist View Post
So it's joint venture modeling nowadays, huh? Will be great!
Yeah, Roca has been kind enough to help with this as I simply don't posses the skills to scratchbuild bodywork. He's already doing a fantastic job on it, I look forward to seeing it develop whilst working on the rest at my end.

I've ordered various things recently but have only really received some of the detailing parts etc, I'm still awaiting another delivery before I can get properly started on the build. I went home for a weekend not long ago so I visited the bike, took a bunch of measurements to aid Roca and further photos. I'm slowly designing the decal sheet to get printed, what's daunting me at the moment though is all the details and wiring I'll have to replicate!
Old 09-22-2009, 07:30 AM   #26
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

I think you will have a great time making those detail parts. It will be a super kit!
/Joel
Old 10-04-2009, 09:21 AM   #27
Roca46
AF Enthusiast

A lot of work to do... but I enjoy this build.
Roca.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:30 AM   #28
Tombag
AF Newbie

Wow, really nice Roca! I'll try and get some stuff done next week as I'm back in London without anything to work on...
Old 10-08-2009, 01:47 PM   #29
Roca46
AF Enthusiast

Thank's for the comments Tom,

I hope to work on the seat and the tank this weekend and let the seat at almost 90% finished, as for the tank I hope to make the main shape.

More this weekend.
Roca.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:28 AM   #30
Roca46
AF Enthusiast

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes