Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 07:45 PM   #1
Dragonminder
AF Newbie

Question Anyone using regular gas?

Here on Long Island, many stations are getting $4.499 per gallon for premium (usually 93 octane, although Getty carries 92 octane). So-called "mid-grade" or "plus-grade" (89 octane) is generally 10-15 cents per gallon cheaper, and regular (87 octane) can run 20-25 cents per gallon less than premium. I had been using only premium in my 2006 330i, which says "minimum 91 octane" on the filler door, until the price hit $4.00 a gallon; then I started going only to self-serve stations so I could pump in a "50-50 mix" of 93 and 89 octane. THEN I read an article in the AAA magazine, not known for crackpot recommendations, which said that ALL modern engines can run safely on regular because the computer automatically retards the spark to prevent knocking, and that the only effect might be a slight loss of power that would be unnoticeable in everyday driving. I researched this on the internet among a number of "auto enthusiast" websites and found that they all agreed with the AAA's article.

So my last two tankfuls have been completely "mid-grade," or 89 octane. (I still can't bring myself to put regular in my bimmer!) I haven't noticed any difference whatsoever in performance; I had to pass a slow-moving truck on the highway, and my car had as much acceleration power as it ever did on premium gas.

Anyone try putting regular in their "premium-only" E90s? Or been running on 89 octane for extended periods with no problems?
Dragonminder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 02:33 PM   #2
Bear
AF Enthusiast

Re: Anyone using regular gas?

First check and see if that is 91 RON or 91 AKI as 91 RON is 87 AKI and many of our cars list the Octane required as RON Owners manual should tell you.
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:17 PM   #3
Dragonminder
AF Newbie

Thanks, I'll do that.
Dragonminder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:28 PM   #4
moon03
AF Newbie

I was using regular on my 86 but premium give better mialage and pays for itself. a 10% increase and you get 11 gal. worth out of 10 gal.at $4.50 a gal you pay 20-25 cents more a gallon but get 45 cents worth saving 20 to 25 cents a gallon.
a 5% increase breaks you even but your getting mor power.
moon03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:45 AM   #5
joe.inom
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon03
I was using regular on my 86 but premium give better mialage and pays for itself. a 10% increase and you get 11 gal. worth out of 10 gal.at $4.50 a gal you pay 20-25 cents more a gallon but get 45 cents worth saving 20 to 25 cents a gallon.
a 5% increase breaks you even but your getting mor power.

Oh well well it is afcourse that premium gives better service , man when i had my job at the Business Newsleter with soem tight salary - i used to be the regular in premium octane , that time it was $4.4 , then when i was fired out and got job at a local agency , i used normal for $2.6 , theres when i got teh difference , at the premium octane time , teh race was soo smooth and soundless but this cheap octane is really life threatening.
I cannever overshoot the red signal now from the zebra crossing.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:30 PM   #6
titaniumbullet
AF Newbie

Naw man Im on that premium shit... (arm + leg)
Old 08-28-2008, 08:09 PM   #7
cliffmac
AF Newbie

yeah...I use regular all the time on my 88 325ic...makes no difference at all, other than in the pocket book...but I am not racing this thing....
cliffmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 02:19 PM   #8
Bear
AF Enthusiast

Amen to regular, use it all the time in '90 325ic with no bad effects. I hear stories of how great premium is, but if your car is not tuned for premium then you should see no difference.
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:52 PM   #9
cliffmac
AF Newbie

all I know is with this hurricane coming they said the price of gas will be over $5 a gallon shortly...I immediately went and filled the Mercedes up for $3.85 a gallon and instructed the girl to fill the 325ic up as well....a hedge if you will...maybe, maybe not...
Old 08-30-2008, 10:15 PM   #10
cliffmac
AF Newbie

so, possibly, the most important thing to understand is 'what is octane?'...so what is octane and what does it do or not do? cliff
Old 10-18-2008, 10:36 AM   #11
rdialber
AF Newbie

I have used regular from time to time on my 2002 - 330 and don't really notice any issues. Seems a little better overall performance with the higher octane. Mix and match?
rdialber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:35 PM   #12
sub006
AF Enthusiast

In most 21st century cars, the engine computer adjusts for the octane passing through the fuel system. I find slightly BETTER mileage from 87 than 91 (California gas)!
sub006 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series