Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-19-2002, 07:02 PM   #31
super 96 accord
AF Enthusiast

I personally don't see why it'd be different than any other auto-2-manual switch except for the fact that little outline to cut out is missing. I'm sure there's shops that can do it.
super 96 accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 07:52 PM   #32
94tegRS
AF Enthusiast

yeah it can be done, almost anything can be done with a bit of time. Im sure you could just find a pedal asssembly from something else, mount it and find where the pushrod would go into the slave, make a template and cut it out and then you install it and run some metal lines to the clutch on the tranny. you should also not just run metal lines, you need some flexible line inbetwen also. like on my car, the line runs toi a ftting that is mounted on the car itself, then one metal line is mounted from the clutch to something mounted on the tranny, with a flexible line between so that when you are accelerating and the engine/tranny moves under the hood the metal line doesnt bend or anything. I am not sure if you know what I mean, but take a look at some integras under the hood, probably civics and other sticks also, and you will know what im talkin about
94tegRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 08:46 PM   #33
MadDog06
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to MadDog06
94teg - i sorta see what you're saying about the flexible line...
Does anyone know of any sites where they've posted detailed info and pictures on any type of auto to manual swap that i could check out just to get a feel for what i'm getting into (any vehicle is fine, really, i just want the basic idea of whats gonna be going on here)? that'd be a huge help, thanks.
MadDog06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 09:21 PM   #34
MadDog06
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to MadDog06
hold on, i was just thinking of this- where the hell is the shifter gonna go????!?!?! right now the ody has the gearshift mounted on the steering column, but that location obviously won't work for a manual. how in the world am i gonna get this shifter in a decent location. i guess i'd have the space for it somewhere, but there'd probly need to be a lot of cutting and moving and tooling around, which could get real expensive im thinking. anyone got any ideas? maybe i'm totally off-base and this thing wouldn't be so hard to figure out for a competent mechanic but could someone please clarify this -- if despite my current steering-mounted gearshift location i'll still be able to go manual? thanks.
MadDog06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 12:20 AM   #35
drewgrew
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to drewgrew
hahahahahahhahaha
drewgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 12:24 AM   #36
94tegRS
AF Enthusiast

ever heard of 3 on the tree, well, having a stick shift on a column is do-able, and has been done on older vehicle, mainly trucks, but that would get tricky trying to quickl shift on the column I think, I nebver drove one but my dd told me once you get used to it it is lke it is natural.

but just get a 5 speed center console froma junkyard outta a stick shift car where the console is about the size to fit good between te seats, and then just cut out the part that covers the stick shift thing and carpetthe sides to match the floor of your car, cut a hole out of the floor and cut out the thing that holds the [pivot-ball on the shifter outta a nother car and mount it in your oddesy
94tegRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 01:39 AM   #37
spy54
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to spy54
hey you could have it like a jeep wrangler or something bc thiers are pretty long

Purehonda.com - may she rest in peace

1996 Chevy C1500, Flowmaster Exhaust, Tinted Windows, 2 Kicker 10" L7 Subs, Eclipse 5v headunit, Alpine V12 Amp
DJM 4/6 drop kit being sold
Full Throttle 9.5 inch lift being installed

1989 CRX si "silver mist"---SOLD---.....Stripped and Wrecked in Compton
corbeau forza 2 seats, DC short shifter, Powerslot slotter rotors, AEM brake pads, Bfgoodridge Stainless steel brake lines, Greddy MX exhaust, AEM Cold Air Intake, Konig Rated-R rims, Kamikazi header
Make an Offer spy54@yahoo.com
spy54 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical