Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorbikes Post topics for any "Works In Progress" motobikes projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 03:51 PM   #1
HIPPIE2
AF Newbie

Talking Honda Magna Cafe Racer

Hello everyone,
My Porsche has been finished so I’m jumping on to this; I stopped this build about 3 weeks ago when I was just about at the half way point. For those of you who don’t know this is the Tamiya Honda Manga kit in 1/6 scale, which is a great kit by the way. I’m trying to build this as a café racer type bike which has kinda been hard with a 50 cc engine but so far it has worked out. Anyway here’s the beginning to the point where I’m now:
First the goal i'm going for this look mixed with cafe racers:

Now the basic block compared to a 1/24 scale kit:

And I have added gaskets to almost every thing:

Skip a few steps and here's the engine kinda done:

And now the frame which I have added welds too. The engine is also in:

I then added texture to some of the fiberglass pieces:

Then the modified swing arm:

I also rebuilt the breaks in the back:

And in the front:

Then here's the planed stance:

The tool bag on the side was modified and I made some stuff to go in it:

Then installed:

Then the kickstand was scratch built:

Now just a overall shot at that point:

The modified exhaust:

Then some wiring began:

The fuel tank had a decent amount of body work to be done, manly I took some of the width out then weld seems where added to the bottom:

Then painted:

Just because this is getting way to boring and long here's where I'm at right now:

Thank you for looking, sorry for the long post didn't realize how long this was but anyways thanks and any comments or help is appreciated.

Last edited by HIPPIE2; 05-02-2012 at 06:11 PM. Reason: fixing the title
HIPPIE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
sasha45acp
AF Newbie

Re: Honda manga

Really cool! The gaskets are awesome... First time seeing anyone do them like that. Rock on!
Old 05-04-2012, 05:15 AM   #3
sportracer02
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha45acp View Post
Really cool! The gaskets are awesome... First time seeing anyone do them like that. Rock on!
dito, looks geat so far, nice details
Old 05-04-2012, 09:37 AM   #4
miguel s
AF Regular

stunning details!!!. My eyes go crazy
Old 05-05-2012, 08:57 AM   #5
HIPPIE2
AF Newbie

Hello everyone and thanks,
The gaskets are quite easy to make there just thin plastic painted.

I have made a bit of progress not much but it really makes the bike more cafe style, I have forgotten the rear fender and seat and replaced them both with much smaller units. The shocks have been moved so I need more support in one area, this was added, and it also gave me a place to mount the rear turn singles. I also got the front light bolted on, i took of the stock molded-in bracket and made my own adjustable one.

Sorry about the mess but this thing won't fit in my backdrop, add if any one can help with ideas I can't figure out where to mount the license plate in a hidden place.

Thanks for looking.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #6
HIPPIE2
AF Newbie

Hello everyone.

Got some paint done, I have decided that to be a true cafe bike that all the part will be mismatched in age and brands, so some parts will be weathered and some will still have the sticker on them. (hopefully that makes sense)

So on that note here's some of the weathered parts:

And some of the parts I showed last time kinda finished:

Then here's the headlight:

And lastly I found a place to hide the turn lights in the front:

Thanks for looking comments are appreciated.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:54 PM   #7
HIPPIE2
AF Newbie

Hello again,

I have started on the front end first off the handle bars. There styled after a modern sport bike. The grips from tamiya where vinyl kinda one of the few problems in the kit they where remade out of some heat shrink, each side is different to bring in that pieced together look. The actual box things where the wires connect ( sorry no clue what the name ) need to be replaced. Still working out how to make some.

And like the monkeys handle bars they fold up:

Then I've done one turn single:

On the other side I added what i think is a damper of some sort. It looks like the sensor used in sport bikes but in my reference there's no wires so any guise what it is but i built one.

Well thanks for watching. Any comments or idea or even criticism is appreciated.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #8
HIPPIE2
AF Newbie

Hello everyone

Not much progress but a bit I got the turn singles in and some of the wiring for it all:

Old 05-22-2012, 04:57 PM   #9
HIPPIE2
AF Newbie

Also did the front. I added some damage to one of the front lights, manly because I lost the headlight lens ......

Also started on some wiring for all the switches:

And lastly I added " engine turned" polish to the bottom of the seat pan. Sorry doesn't photograph well.

Thanks for looking.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:04 AM   #10
euro_z
AF Regular

this is looking fantastic, great work so far
euro_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:15 PM   #11
sasha45acp
AF Newbie

Flat black and damage look great. Has anyone ever tried painting steel under the black and then scratching out the damage? Might look like real damage on painted steel parts.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:39 PM   #12
HIPPIE2
AF Newbie

Thanks guys really means a lot. Sasha45acp:, the way you mention is actaulay how I did most of this, tamiya's chrome was underneath and I just painted on top, when handling they become mildly chipped like in real life.

I've got a few odd bits done but the big excitement is RB motion a/n fittings, this might be old news but last time I went on there site they where advertising pre-anodized fittings I've never been particularly good at the anodized look so I went and bought some and there pretty awesome. Also got the oil cooler scratch built for them to go on.

(just a note you can't see the dust in real life)

Next off will be some of Pro Tech's .80 line, but I still have to get that ordered.

Anyway I also got the front light finished:

Got the clutch/chain cover finished:

And built a fuel pump, the stock pieces is the gray plastic blob and my thing in the tweezers:

And here's kinda a overall pic of whats going on:

Sorry not a ton done but the cotton wood is out in force right now and thanks to allergies most days i cant even see.

Anyways thanks for watching.

Last edited by HIPPIE2; 06-06-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:29 PM   #13
HIPPIE2
AF Newbie

Hi,

This isn't much of an update but its the begin of the two parts that I've dreaded the most.

First of the electrical panel, the stock piece is just one molded in piece, so first I drew out the panel and copied it in to plastic, I've also made all the little boxes but for some reason photo bucket wouldn't load them, will have to try again later.

And the handle controls, I was inspired by BetoBrazil's amazing Yamaha and tried to do half a good job on them. so far I don't have much done but it took a few hours just to get here.

Thanks for looking, And hopefully more progress next update.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:50 PM   #14
HIPPIE2
AF Newbie

Update time!!!

First off the braided line showed up yesterday and is already installed:

The hand controls are also done, on one side, I found a tiny spring that's inside them so it all actually works.

Also made the cable tensor for them, some how the paints already chipping, will have to retouch it later......

The other side hand control was also built. I cut off most of the stock piece and rebuilt it more like a sports bike would have, before it was the set up most cruisers have.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #15
HIPPIE2
AF Newbie

More.......

The kick stand has kinda been a ongoing problem, I wasn't happy with the first few tries I posted before so here what I think (hopefully) is the final one.

Some of the foot controls where also scratch built.

Half the resin this update took so long was that I idiotically knock the bike of my workbench so after rebuilding I need to make sure I couldn't do this again, looking again to Moto GP bikes I added this thing under the rear swing arm, the half circle is for a stand when the bike is finished and displayed and the tinny holes bolt the bike down.

The front break is kinda sucky in this kit, so it was chucked in the dremel and turned to in my opinion looks better, then it was painted in MM aluminum and put again in the dremel and polished while spinning.

The side body work was also done in a way to look like is going through repairs

And a fuel gauge was added to the tank

And lastly the front wheel got a bit more detailing, its the part that connects to the spedio.

Thanks for watching and please leave some input.