Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes
WIP - Motorbikes Post topics for any "Works In Progress" motobikes projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 10:35 AM   #1
SandroSilva
AF Regular

Yamaha YZR-M1 USA 2005

As this is the last of three Yamaha, I also decided to separate its assembly.

Like the other pictures have been shown from the beginning, I will continue from the engine installed in the frame.

Front and rear wheel

Here I decided to do something different. I bought a pack of Valentino's helmet decal used in 2005, the Hobby design. But as we see by the photo, the decal is completely out with the colors and the size is much larger than it should be.

Even so decided to try. For this we used the Helmet Tamiya model 2009. I know that the model is another helmet, but I decided to do anyway.
I started the helmet painted in two colors, black and yellow.

After I applied the decals, note well the difference in color, there was the tricky part, I was masking piece by piece, painted white with yellow and then right, gave a lot of work, but the result until it was good.

For the excitement of doing just not taking more pictures of masking.
Here the result, hope you like.

Sandro
SandroSilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:41 PM   #2
jmpsebring
AF Newbie

Re: Yamaha YZR-M1 USA 2005

Sandro...you seem to be the expert here so I will ask you your opinion please. I would like to buy one bike model. I will put my own paint scheme on the bike so I'm not trying to build a specific bike in history. I saw the stunning Top studio transkits and would like to use the Yamaha as my canvas. I don't really care what year the bike is, but I do want to reproduce the under cowl area in front of the handelbars, tank, rear seat area, etc.
The top Studio $$$ kits that come with full resin body parts are like $200+ dollars! Are their resin parts and their fit and finish inside and out better than the Tamiya? Or are they mostly just an upgrade of body style? I don't mind paying for top quality, but if Top Studio's less exspensive detail kits are the same as these super kits...just minus the updated bodywork, I don't mind going with an older version.
I hope you understand and see my problem. Is there a reason to spend all of that extra money for a resin body? Is the resin body so much better with it's fit and finish? Or are the Tamiya kit's body parts and their fit with the Top Studio's upgrades perfectly ok?
Thanks for any advice. Your work is so stunning I decided to add a bike to my collection.
jmpsebring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:01 PM   #3
andrew59it
AF Regular

Very nice job Sandro. It looks superb!
How did you realize the front disks?
andrew59it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:39 AM   #4
SandroSilva
AF Regular

jmpsebring, my friend, thanks for your considerations, unfortunately I have never seen one of the Top Studio Kit, complete with parts of the fairing. But the tamiya kits reproduce very well the fairings because they are in plastic, can be very thin, unlike resin kits which are thicker, which is not real. How do you intend to use a Yamaha, maybe could use a kit model 2009, with accessories from Top Studio, with only the details MD29012. I hope I have helped a little.

andrew, if you're talking about the effect on the disks, I use this technique with brush and white paint. After painting the colors displayed on the discs and masking.

The smaller the spray paint better, and you can also paint the part through which passes the caliper, as this Yamaha.

Sandro
Old 01-04-2012, 08:53 AM   #5
andrew59it
AF Regular

Very nice idea Sandro! I usually spray not white but matt aluminium with airbrush but at very low pressure near 0 and with unthinned paint to have a rough pattern.
Is white thinned?
andrew59it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:16 PM   #6
SandroSilva
AF Regular

Andrew, thin the paint a little yes, but do test before you will find the right spot.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #7
jmpsebring
AF Newbie

Thanks for the advice. I continued to research and came to the same conclusion. Tomorrow I should receive the Monster tech3 '09 Yamaha and the same top studio transkit. Two 1/24 Monster rally cars were raced and they both have amazing paint schemes. I will try to combine their various decals to make my own Monster bike.
jmpsebring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:38 PM   #8
SandroSilva
AF Regular

After a vacation in the assembly :mrgreen: , painting the fairings back.

Soon I'll post more progress.

Sandro
Old 02-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #9
John18d
AF Enthusiast

how did I miss this Sandro - look great another fine work of yours - thanks for sharing your carbon brake technique - John
John18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:16 PM   #10
SandroSilva
AF Regular

Thanks for following.

Today I put some decals on the fairings and some carbon fiber.

Also installed the drive chain Top Studio, it will not be complete because my idea is like the picture, share a tray with the drive chain and some tools.

Sandro
Old 02-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #11
John18d
AF Enthusiast

Sandro - that is an interesting way to display the bike with the pit tools and tray. Also is that correct to have the fuel tank in carbon? I would think that would be in aluminum as carbon is not very abrasion resistant. Oh! Just so you know - when I was racing superbike's here in the USA we changed the entire chain with the sprockets. Rather than mess with individual links with a sprocket change we had dedicated chains pre-made to length for different rear/front sprocket ratios and then we used to use a "rivet" master link to connect the selected chain/sprockets for each track we went to. Once we had been to a track before we arrived with the correct sprockets/chain already assembled so that getting the bike set up and up to speed was quicker as we did not have to determine the best final drive ratios - still I like your diorama build - John

Last edited by John18d; 05-02-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:10 PM   #12
SandroSilva
AF Regular

Thanks John, for the technical explanation of the chain of transmission, but as you said will stay cool for a diorama.
With respect to the fuel tank, took the book as a reference PIT WALK PHOTO COLLECTION 6 (Moto GP Racer's Archive 2005) which clearly shows in Carbon
Old 02-28-2012, 06:00 PM   #13
John18d
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandroSilva View Post
Thanks John, for the technical explanation of the chain of transmission, but as you said will stay cool for a diorama.
With respect to the fuel tank, took the book as a reference PIT WALK PHOTO COLLECTION 6 (Moto GP Racer's Archive 2005) which clearly shows in Carbon
Thanks Sandro - I haven't looked at my pitwalk book so thanks for the update. Here in the USA when carbon fuel tanks first came out some people got them because of the claimed weight savings, but almost every time a bike with a carbon tank crashed at the race track the tank would abrade though and it would catch the bike on fire when the leaking fuel made contact with the hot metal parts of the bike. I don't know of anyone here that runs a carbon tank anymore - maybe the MotoGP guys know something better - also Rossi never did crash much. With regards to your diorama - I can wait to see it - the tools and the metal tray look great, where did you get them? - John
Old 02-29-2012, 06:32 AM   #14
SandroSilva
AF Regular

Thanks John, I ended up buying the tools a scrap kit at a store here in Brazil, were mechanical F1 in 1:20 scale (Item 20063 - Tamiya), and the tray was made based on, that box of drills Tamiya, sawed, cut, sanded and painted silver, pasted inside Bare Metal. That's what I could do was find my idéai a metal tray ready, but I got nothing ...

Sandro
Old 02-29-2012, 08:23 AM   #15
John18d
AF Enthusiast

Sandro - you have amazing skills at resourcefulness - I do not have the imagination and skill you have to make the things one needs for dioramas - I am learning a lot from you and YoungGunPark about making more than just a model for display. I have a Kawasaki ZX-RR that I've been working on for some time and I'm completely frustrated by the Top Studio chain that I have been trying to make for it. I wish I knew your building procedure for the chains - you and YoungGun have made them and they look so good, but I have had nothing but frustration with the TS chain. - John