Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorbikes Post topics for any "Works In Progress" motobikes projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 10:11 AM   #16
andrew59it
AF Regular

Re: Yamaha Tech 3 + Laguna Seca

Finally something more interesting....
Clear coated (2K) the rear cowl and the fenders.... sorry for the pinkish background...

And finally installed the rear cowl with exhaust on the frame....

andrew59it is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andrew59it For This Useful Post:
Katana1000 (09-16-2011)
Old 09-09-2011, 10:51 AM   #17
racer93
AF Enthusiast

Very nice job! What was the bronze/sepia color you used on the exhaust? That looks to be the perfect shade. Nice job on the exhausts, it's something that is easily overdone.
racer93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:07 AM   #18
andrew59it
AF Regular

Everytime I change the colors for painting the exhaust, I have no fixed rule. If I remember well I used alclad engine manifold and hot metal sepia. Stainless steel as a base and trasparents for shades....
Old 09-09-2011, 11:14 AM   #19
andrew59it
AF Regular

This time I spent my time to replicate the seat texture. I wanted something like neoprene. I fixed a brass mesh to the seat and cover the seat with Tamiya liquid cement (the green one)
After a while the plastic has begun to melt... I thought "what a disaster..." I waited some time and removed the mesh, when the seat was dry I sended it a bit.... this is the result. It was painted with flat black and tire black

What do you think about it?
Old 09-09-2011, 11:45 AM   #20
racer93
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew59it View Post
Everytime I change the colors for painting the exhaust, I have no fixed rule. If I remember well I used alclad engine manifold and hot metal sepia. Stainless steel as a base and trasparents for shades....
Ok. I was just asking about the sepia itself. I understand the mixing/overlap, as I love these bikes! The exhausts can really make these models stand out, as yours has!

BTW, I think the seat works! I like it!
racer93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:13 AM   #21
John18d
AF Enthusiast

this is looking very good - keep up the postings with lots of pictures - I have these kits to build but I am waiting for the Top Studio super detail kits to arrive - John
John18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:41 AM   #22
andrew59it
AF Regular

I'm waiting for the top studio super d. kit too, but for the valencia and standard version....
Old 09-13-2011, 07:41 AM   #23
andrew59it
AF Regular

Installed the swing arm on Tech 3

and prepared the swing arm of the L.S.

I don't know how people can handle some little pieces like the connector of the rear sensor, it was a nightmare!
Now I have to decalize the carbon fibre on the rear cowl of the L.S. , I don't like the tamiya decals
Old 09-13-2011, 01:27 PM   #24
John18d
AF Enthusiast

Andrew59it - you are doing an excellent job at building these two kits. The exhaust detail and the decal work - both standard decals and carbon fiber - are excellent. What manufacturer (company) are you using for the 2K paint? I have Zero 2K clear but I'm interested in the paint. Also how did you paint the chain/sprockets? You are doing fantastic attention to detail - I just ordered the ST27 Laguna Seca decals - as for you tire choice of "soft" that is most likely correct. I have raced at Laguna Seca in the late 90's and although the track has been repaved it has only gotten smoother. The track temperature is also very good during the time of year the bikes come there so the track is very good on tires and the riders can make a soft last the entire race. Keep up the great work and the postings - John
Old 09-13-2011, 01:41 PM   #25
andrew59it
AF Regular

Did you race at Laguna Seca....????? I have to take my hat off....
Fantastic... Thanks for the compliments... 2K is unknown brand from an automotive shop. Some friend of mine use Lechler or Max Meyer. Zero is a good choice too, but hardner comes into clear bottle so after a while you may trash it..... Chain is simple. First the sprocket, then gun metal, masked the gun metal and airbrushed the gold but.... look at this:
http://www.modellismo.net/forum/stat...zr-1400-a.html
bottom of page one..... it's easier....
Old 09-13-2011, 02:15 PM   #26
John18d
AF Enthusiast

Andrew59it - thank you for the link - I looked at it for the help. As for the paints - yes I use the Zero paints from Hiroboy but the shipping costs are very high to the USA. I was told by, I think it was, "Steve Nobel" that the Hiroboy paints are actually Leckler paints thinned and repackaged. Reference Laguna Seca - yes I was an AMA superbike racer from 1995 thru the end of 1998 before I was involved in a street accident where I was paralyzed. I still have many racing friends and enjoy watching the motorcycle racing in person and on the television. Thank you again for the chain painting link - I think you do the best paint work on the original plastic chain/sprocket that comes in the box. I have purchased several Top Studio chains but I find that the time to build one is very long. You also do an excellent job at painting the exhaust system - John
Old 09-13-2011, 02:52 PM   #27
andrew59it
AF Regular

The link is my WIP.... I don't know if you noticed .... I'm very sorry for your accident... but I'm sure you have found the force to go ahead, and your friend will surely have helped you...
About 2K why not PPG? Is it not an american brand?
Old 09-13-2011, 03:43 PM   #28
John18d
AF Enthusiast

Andrew59it - thank you for the kind words - Yes, I have several friends that have helped me thru my injury - I also met with Wayne Rainey and Eddie Lawson at Willow Springs raceway in California back in 1999 and things have gotten much better since I returned to university here in Tucson. I have found that model building "scale replicas" has been very therapeutic and I am learning many techniques from this forum. Reference the link - Yes, I noticed it was yours. Reference PPG - yes I am very familiar with their paints - I used to use PPG paints on my superbike bodywork (panels/cowlings). The biggest problem to paints is that here we have to purchase big (973ml) quantities or larger - and many times the paint goes "off" before you can use it all. I wish I could find a shop here in the USA that would sell small volumes of PPG paint. When I used to paint the bodywork panels on my superbike I used the PPG Deltron system - urethanes like the Zero paints. I was trying to PM you but I cannot seem to get the forum site to do that. Keep up the great work - I look forward to seeing more of your skills at work - John
Old 09-16-2011, 02:54 AM   #29
andrew59it
AF Regular

Carbon fiber again......

Old 09-16-2011, 08:29 AM   #30
Katana1000
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: Yamaha Tech 3 + Laguna Seca

Fantastic work and a true inspiration to all Bike builders.

Just bought the Tamiya Tech 3 kit today myself, have three of the Tamiya FIAT M1's, one for Rossi, one for Lorenzo and one for Rossi cornering with the figure, going to try get a hold of that decal sheet with the fans faces on it (Laguna Seca is it?) so that will be another 09 M1

Keep up the good work.
Katana1000 is offline   Reply With Quote