Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Alero
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 05:53 PM   #1
tmodaniel
AF Newbie

01 alero 3.4L Coolent leak

It seems to be comming from the passenger side of the engine. The only thing that I can see is that coolent seems to be coming from underneth the bottom pully, it seems to be flinging the fluid off of itself when it's running any ideas?

Update: I changed out the hose, even though I am pretty sure that it is not the problem. I am going to test drive it in the morning.
Update2: Still seems to be leaking. I can't see where it is coming from except it is coming from the passenger side by the belt. Any ideas?

Last edited by tmodaniel; 01-07-2009 at 05:16 PM.
tmodaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:51 PM   #2
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

Re: 01 alero 3.4L Coolent leak

Welcome to AF !

Could be a LI leak running down or your water pump. I guess one of your freeze plugs could also be leaking. Not much else on that side.
Only other thing is your coolant res. which if it overflowed could get slung around.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:08 PM   #3
anorris
AF Newbie

i had a very similar problem with my 01 alero. took it to the dealer and said had to have a new head gasket. luckily my brother if very handy and changed it because parts alone are over $200. But this is probably your problem.
anorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
sightdev
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmodaniel View Post
It seems to be comming from the passenger side of the engine. The only thing that I can see is that coolent seems to be coming from underneth the bottom pully, it seems to be flinging the fluid off of itself when it's running any ideas?

Update: I changed out the hose, even though I am pretty sure that it is not the problem. I am going to test drive it in the morning.
Update2: Still seems to be leaking. I can't see where it is coming from except it is coming from the passenger side by the belt. Any ideas?
Had exact same type of symptom. most likely water pump and it is the easiest water pump change I have ever done to date. pump is hidden behind the pulley so you will have to remove it to check the leak on the lower part of the pump like all others. loosen four bolts, loosen the belt, remove the bolts from pulley which will expose the small water pump. I had mine replaced with a new pump which was $5 more at $35 than the rebuild pump. there was a note in the box about blade revision which looked larger compare to the original that came with the car. My Alero like many others, ran hotter [above mid-point] but with new pump, it seems to running cooler than before.
sightdev is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Alero