Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Crown Victoria
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 11:49 PM   #1
IZ1111
AF Newbie

92 CV tail-lights and red light not working

Hi I'm new, great site, been looking for somewhere like this a long time ago.

Well, I have an old 92 CV with many many problems, mostly electrical and malfunctioning guages. But what I really am in need of help is the tail-lights and red lights in the back staying on for night driving. I've checked the fuse box and all fuses check good. The bulbs have been replaced. Don't know what else to do, I would glady check all the wiring but only if I knew what I was doing or looking at. Can someone help me. I'm tired of cops stopping me for having my tail-light off. Thank you.

P.S. Dashboard light aren't working either, but this is another topic. I really need the exterior lights working the most.

Last edited by IZ1111; 09-08-2007 at 05:59 PM.
IZ1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:40 AM   #2
taillight
AF Enthusiast

Re: 92 CV tail-lights and red light not working

Dash and running lights are on the same fuse. Get a wiring diagram and a 12 volt test light. Follow the wires by color. Try a Haynes manual.
taillight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:46 AM   #3
Selectron
AF Enthusiast

As taillight said, a Haynes manual would be a good idea. Until you get one though, you can also get wiring diagrams for your vehicle from www.autozone.com - click on Repair Info, then select your vehicle, then click on View Repair Guide. Then go to Chassis Electrical and then Wiring Diagrams. I had a quick look and the diagrams for the lights do appear to be on the list.
Selectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 01:01 PM   #4
IZ1111
AF Newbie

I actualy do have a haynes manual for the CV, I've taken a look at it and it says fuse 9 is the source in the diagram. But the fuse is good. It also says that its a brown wire that goes to the taillights. I have it open below my dashboard having all the wires exposed. But I cant tell what I'm looking at. which brown wire is it? Do I try to see if exactly behind fuse 9, see if there is a wire that runs out of it. but really behind the fuse box, its chaos of wire down there. I'm screwed. Please Help.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:24 PM   #5
Selectron
AF Enthusiast

If the tail lights are fed from fuse 9 and if that's ok then I'd just put the lid back on the fusebox and head instead to the tail light lamp socket.

The lighting circuit appears to use high-side switching, which is to say that the negative side of the circuit is permanently connected to ground, with the 12V side being switched.

First thing I'd do would be a visual inspection of the lamp fitting, looking for signs of moisture ingress and corrosion. The bulb sockets are often mounted on a little printed circuit board (PCB) so also take a look at the PCB tracks (if there is one) for signs of corrosion. Then, if you're using a multimeter, switch to the resistance range and verify that the bulb ground connection is intact (lighting circuit switched off while doing that, and also, while you're on the resistance range, check the bulb filament for continuity). If the ground and bulb are good, then switch the lights on, switch the meter back to the dc voltage range and check to see if 12V is reaching the bulb socket. If it isn't, then you have an open-circuit between the fuse and the lamp fitting, so look again at your wiring diagram and identify the switches and connectors between the two, and then choose one to check the voltage on, and trace the voltage through the circuit until you find the point at which it disappears, and that will indicate the location of the fault. Note that the colour of the wiring is likely to change as it goes through switches and connectors, so be aware of that when reading the diagram.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:59 PM   #6
IZ1111
AF Newbie

I'm not very technical with cars, and I dont own a volt meter but I'll give it a try.

Here are a pic of what I see under the drivers dashboard. Just to see if anyone can spot trouble in the wires. You can see that at the bottom of the center of the picture there is a connection thing that I have now idea where it was connected, or if there was something there before, that made use of that connection.

Here is another pic of the back tailight where I think a wire may be a trouble spot, it has a short, dont know if this matters. Just putting it up just in case.

Feel free to ask me to take anymore pics of my car if it helps. I would like to do anything to get this problem solved. Thankyou.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:12 PM   #7
Selectron
AF Enthusiast

A multimeter isn't a necessity - with a little ingenuity you can test for more than just voltage with a simple 12V test lamp. If you don't have a test lamp but do have a soldering iron, then you could remove one of the little interior courtesy lamp bulbs and solder a couple of leads to it, then wrap insulating tape around the exposed metal to keep it from shorting to anything and you're ready to go - you just need something to indicate the presence or absence of 12V.

It's by no means unusual to find unused connectors in cars. Instead of making a different wiring harness for basic models and another for mid-range and another for top-of-the-range, it's a whole lot cheaper to just make a single harness to cover all variants of a particular model, and then simply leave plugs disconnected if they're not required, so that connector may not be anything to worry about. You could trace it back and see what it connects to, and take a note of its wire colour and then find it on the wiring diagram and identify its purpose from that.

As for the second photo, if that's an insulated wire with the end bared and then secured to the bodywork by a screw then that would be a ground connection for something, and it sure doesn't look too healthy, so I'd remove it and clean it up and reconnect it. It would be a good idea to smear it with a protective coating of petroleum jelly (Vaseline) before reassembling it, and that would help prevent it from corroding again in future.

Edit: I was looking more closely at the second photo, and there's a bit of that wire that doesn't look quite right, which I've put a circle around in the photo below. If that's just a knot in the wire or if there's something stuck to it then it's probably ok if the insulation isn't broken, but if the insulation is damaged and you can see bare wire then the copper is likely to have corroded internally, in which case that section of wire should be replaced.

Last edited by Selectron; 09-07-2007 at 09:58 PM.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:06 PM   #8
IZ1111
AF Newbie

Yeah the wire is actualy bear and the internal threads exposed, but I thought as long as its making contact it was find. I'll try to replace it, but in the mean time, could simple black electric tape around the area work fine?
Old 09-07-2007, 10:19 PM   #9
Selectron
AF Enthusiast

Putting tape on it isn't ideal but it might be ok. Depends on what you can see - if the wire strands are still intact and if, when you scrape them, you can still see shiny metal then you might get away with it, but that's a long way short of being a proper solution.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:05 PM   #10
IZ1111
AF Newbie

Yeah, it didn't work. I'll replace it somehow. I'll have to pick it up in tommorrow, thanks for staying with my situation Selectron. You must be very well known here.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:10 AM   #11
reekor
AF Enthusiast

Humm car alarm wiring harness under the dash. Here is my two cents on the problem. Someone cut the parking/dash light wire to add the flashing parking light wire from the alarm and I bet that the wires came apart. Check for lose wiring behind the headlight switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZ1111
Yeah, it didn't work. I'll replace it somehow. I'll have to pick it up in tommorrow, thanks for staying with my situation Selectron. You must be very well known here.

His, 96 Limited, 5.2 Magnum, Magnaflow CatBack System, HID Head & Fog Lamps, 242 T-case swapped , Rear Trac-Loc. Chrome grill added to match the wheels.

Hers, 96 Limited I6, 242 T-case, HID Head & Fog Lamps.
reekor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 08:38 AM   #12
IZ1111
AF Newbie

The headlight switch? You mean the one where you pull out to make the headlight on? I'm gonna have to remove the dashboard, right?
Old 09-08-2007, 10:37 AM   #13
reekor
AF Enthusiast

yup, you don't have to remove the dashboard, just some trim, check the brown wire behind the switch for cuts or anything taped or wired onto it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZ1111
The headlight switch? You mean the one where you pull out to make the headlight on? I'm gonna have to remove the dashboard, right?

His, 96 Limited, 5.2 Magnum, Magnaflow CatBack System, HID Head & Fog Lamps, 242 T-case swapped , Rear Trac-Loc. Chrome grill added to match the wheels.

Hers, 96 Limited I6, 242 T-case, HID Head & Fog Lamps.
reekor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 04:30 PM   #14
IZ1111
AF Newbie

Yeah, the problem is in the switch.

The brown wire as been fried at the connection.

But how do I solve this problem? Where can I get these wires? How would I install them back again? Thanks for any help.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:29 PM   #15
IZ1111
AF Newbie

Well now that I kept looking at it and opening it. It looks like its completely burned from both sides. I'm thinking of going to Autozone or Advanceauto to see if the have one of these things.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD