Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 03:19 AM   #1
aussieidiot
Gone crazy! Back soon

z750

I've had my dads z750 for a couple of weeks now. he's on holidays and asked me to get it serviced and mind it for him.

when i rode it to the service centre, i thought "man this is slow"
he has lowered the pegs and raised the bars to make it more comfy for him and for me the handling was crap. as a commuter it would be great.

when i picked it up i wanted to "test" ride it properly.

got out onto a straight and twisted the throttle to full open. ho hum, ho hum HOLEY SHEEEEEEEEEEET. the bastard thing almost threw me off when it hit 7k rpm. it took off almost from under me like a fricken slingshot.
i doubt my dad rides this far up the fun scale.

so next time i went to work, i took his bike instead of mine. lotsa fun if you don't like going real fast but it was sloppy and not as agile and direct as my blade.

getting back on the blade made me realise how little i use its potential. i only twist about half throttle to get the thing moving fast enough to want to wheelie but not quite. keep the throttle open and just bang through the gears at 6-7k gets me going so much faster than the Z. i'd hate to think what would happen if i try to ride it like i did my dads.......
Old 09-11-2007, 03:40 AM   #2
psych0hans
AF Regular

Re: z750

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussieidiot
i'd hate to think what would happen if i try to ride it like i did my dads.......
Theres only one way to find out
"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." George W. Bush—Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004
psych0hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:24 PM   #3
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

I've been riding this old Yamaha XJ650 Maxim most of the summer, a weird combination of inline compact Jurassic Sport Bike powerplant and UJC (Universal Japanese Cruiser) styling....it's a good solid little motor but lacks any kind of torque off the bottom, power curve is linear to about 6000 rpm, which is as high as I usually took it...fun, but not what you'd call exciting. Didn't see any reason to push it higher...figured it would just deliver a bit more of the same.

But after looking at this YICS logo on the motor for months and not really thinking anything of it, I finally decided to see what the hell it means. It stands for Yamaha Induction Control System...what it does is very interesting. It has a secondary set of intake paths with their own fuel metering, and at 7000 rpm they open up.

When they do, it's not unlike popping the big secondary barrels on an old 4bbl carb, or being in a Honda Civic when the VTEC kicks in....there is a sudden change in engine pitch, the rpms build much faster than before, and you get this rush of acceleration that is very addictive. The motor redlines at 9500 rpm, so there's plently of tach left to let it eat and enjoy this rush...

Only bad part is it's so abrupt, with a chassis like this, it's only good for straightline antics...it'd put you on your ass if it kicked in while geared down and carving a turn...The engine is Identical to the SECA 650 turbo offered the same year but without the turbo....that must have been quite thrilling when the YICS opened under boost

...empty gun rack.
jeffcoslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:43 PM   #4
psych0hans
AF Regular

Do you guys know why the honda VFR750 nc30 is so expensive? saw two examples on ebay both for 5k+ quid. You can get a much newer R1 for that much, or even a fireblade or hayabusa for that matter... Just curious. Thanks in advance.
"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." George W. Bush—Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004
Old 09-11-2007, 01:55 PM   #5
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

Quote:
Originally Posted by psych0hans
Do you guys know why the honda VFR750 nc30 is so expensive? saw two examples on ebay both for 5k+ quid. You can get a much newer R1 for that much, or even a fireblade or hayabusa for that matter... Just curious. Thanks in advance.
Did you mean RC30?

The NC30 is the VFR400R

The RC30 is built to race standard, with titanium con rods and gear driven cams, and single sided swingarm and quick release wheels and brakes and lots of other goodies not found in normal production Hondas at the time....

...empty gun rack.
jeffcoslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 02:14 PM   #6
psych0hans
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcoslacker
Did you mean RC30?

The NC30 is the VFR400R

The RC30 is built to race standard, with titanium con rods and gear driven cams, and single sided swingarm and quick release wheels and brakes and lots of other goodies not found in normal production Hondas at the time....
yes, that would be the one. Here are the links
Link 1
Link 2
Old 09-11-2007, 03:26 PM   #7
aussieidiot
Gone crazy! Back soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by psych0hans
Theres only one way to find out

when i ride the blade, i grab the throttle slightly high so its comfy at cruising pace. fully open i need to twist it so far around its uncontrollable (handling geometry wise). to get it to comfy spot at full open means to grab the throttle like a dirt bike.

considering how hectic the pace gets at slight throttle. its hard to control at low speed holding it that high. a 1/4 throttle would fix the throttle throw but make it pretty much deadly in a slight fuck up scenario.

when i rode my dads, it was so slow to pick up i could basically grab so high as to make full open throttle "normal" position.

i do get the blade to redline quite often in 1st and second but i'm thinking its not going to happen on full open throttle. not sure if theres going to be much difference but if there is and i'm not prepared for it (like my dads) its going to be a trip to owieland.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:23 PM   #8
speediva
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to speediva Send a message via Yahoo to speediva

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcoslacker
Did you mean RC30?

The NC30 is the VFR400R

Plus the VFR market is highly "adult"-driven, so they are usually in pristine condition and very well-maintained. Not to mention they aren't terribly common (though not entirely uncommon) so the adult owners know what they can get out of one.

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
speediva is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes