Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Rumors & Concepts
Car Rumors & Concepts Post pictures and discuss the upcoming cars, rumors and spy photos.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 05:15 AM   #1
jankslov12
AF Newbie

Wet Sanding

I was planning on painting the hood of my car. I was told by a friend that I need to wet sand it first. Is this true? And if so, would something like this work well enough?
Old 06-12-2009, 12:57 PM   #2
Carbreaker101
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Carbreaker101
Question Re: Wet Sanding

I am new to posting anything on this site, please inform me if this is a far off thing to post in response. I am trying to gauge if I am correct on where I post, what I post.
If you are "painting the hood of the car" I would personally suggest; decide weather the car is worth the paint you want to applie. There is a wide veriety of scenario's that could be a factor in what you paint the car with. If the car is your pride and joy or a car that you would like to restore it to a look that is going to stay consistant with the hood. keep in mind that it is imposible to match 100% because of paint deterioration will not match in ratio. Likely the car is what is refered to as "Base-Coat/Clear" if it is a stock paint job recent. At least that is the way that you can best match the hood, anyhow, First go to a paint store/shop and have them use a 3m sample match camera or use a paint code (paint code if the car is lite and not sun faded. Then you will need to get the paint mixed for that car. in this case you need to accurately mix paint and use a nice technic on the whole process, wet sanding would be completely necisarry if you would like to impress anyone. I mean by this that the car is not going to be worth painting any part of if you use base-coat/clear correctly or corresponding "enamel" one-part -(NO WET SANDING NEEDED IN ANY CASE I HAVE USED THIS FOR JUST A DECENT TECHNIC OF APPLICATION. If this is not enough of a Idea to go on you may not know much about paint you should look into prices and decide to be more down to eath you CAN just blast paint to the car with spray cans and it will not look good and you ("im sure you have seen this or other bad paint jobs) can imagin will not look good. the primer for iether instance is something that also needs to be wet sanded; for better smooth reflection. "Orange peel" because of the little frumplie look that orange peelings have if you can imagin that is what you will get with a poor but still glossed over sanding job with paint or drips and inconsistancies with hue and every other defect... nothing is perfect. Im the guy with the spray paint can and the little bita ugly on the car. rite. , Like I said I hope that this answeres the Question and is something of a small test to get a post. Im not hip to the web. sorry for anything you may find wrong with this. let me know, contact me if this sounds close to helpful.

Last edited by Carbreaker101; 06-12-2009 at 01:01 PM. Reason: spelling and gramatical errors
Carbreaker101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:23 PM   #3
pmcleroy
AF Newbie

Re: Wet Sanding

lol the guy that replied to the original post is a clown yes wet sand with 600 and a hard block where ever possible as long as the paint or clear is not pealing or lacquer checked you should be good enough to either single stage or base clear the hood. If the hood is pealing of checked let me know and i will walk you through that process as well good luck
pmcleroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
codythesamurai
AF Newbie

Re: Wet Sanding

Sorry about how random this is, but how do you post new threads?
codythesamurai is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Rumors & Concepts