Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > RSX
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 04:25 AM   #1
Audiobahn77
AF Enthusiast

Squeak or squeal????

Just wanted to say Hey again and let you all know that I purchased an 03 type-s with 22k miles and has been modified with tein adjustable suspension, dc sports manifold, comptech exhaust, AEM intake, slotted/drilled rotors.
My problem that I'm having. The car doesn't make the noise when I start it up (when the engine is cool)...but as soon as it warms up above the "Cold" mark, the car will make a faint belt sounding squeal and a rather loud squeak/squeal when I shift (like when I'm releasing the torque from the front wheels and then re-applying the torque). The easiest way to get the noise is to tap the gas pedal on and off while the car is moving at slow speeds. The sound is definitely coming from the engine compartment. I get a little squeal from the belt area when I shut off the car too.
The best way to DESCRIBE THE SOUND.....imagine a belt spinning on two or more pulleys and when you apply torque, one of the pulleys isn't spinning as fast and the belt is spinning faster causing a squeal. Hopefully that makes sense. I'm not saying that is the problem...rather that is the best way to describe it. I took it to an Acura dealer and they said its the suspension without even looking at it in detail. They told me to take it to someone who specializes in aftermarket suspension systems. It doesn't do it when I go over speed bumps unless the car jerks due to the torque either being applied or released. The dealer also said it could be a bushing. It almost sounds like belt or metal to metal rubbing. The belt appears to be in good shape and is tight, so I don't think that it is too loose. Any Suggestions????

Thanks!
Audiobahn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 04:09 PM   #2
RSX-S777
AF Enthusiast

Re: Squeak or squeal????

It could be bushings squeaking (which used to drive me nuts on my Mustang), but I've never had that problem with a Honda- especially a newer car. And if it were bushings, you wouldn't hear the noise when the car was idling or being shut off. Sounds like your Acura techs are idiots or lazy.
Usually, if the sound you hear increases as the engine revs, it is the result of misaligned pulleys. Low belt tension would cause a noticeable screeching, and you seem confident that the belts are not loose. Misalignment is loudest at idle up to maybe 3K rpm, at which point it will tend to diminish/ disappear. Try this to rule out belt and pulley issues:

Keep the car running and pop the hood. Take a spray bottle full of water and mist the belt lightly. If the noise recedes, then returns louder (or as loud), it's misalignment. If the noise immediately increases, it's most likely slipping. In either case, easliy fixable.

Congrats on the car, welcome to the RSX forum.

I've got a fever. And the only prescription is more cowbell...
RSX-S777 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > RSX