Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 06:06 PM   #1
Percon
AF Newbie

Unhappy ABS Light on

I have 98 Rodeo. The ABS light turn on i'd check brake fluid and refill it light still on all brake pads ok. Please Help!
Percon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 06:50 PM   #2
amigo-2k
Isuzu Guy

Re: ABS Light on

1. Check the fuse
2. There is a connector on the right rear wheel that sometimes come lose (I think, wait for some others to reply for sure)
3. There is a recall on the ABS for the 98-99, so you may want to call your local isuzu dealer with your vin to see if your truck applies.

see my FAQ at the bottom for sites to search for TSB's and recall info.

-Ryan

Car Show Tips
Operations manager with a results-driven passion for process improvement
FAQ 98-04 Isuzu Rodeo, Rodeo Sport, Amigo, Trooper

SOLD - NOV2015 - 2000 Amigo, V6, HT winter, ST summer, 2wd
amigo-2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 10:56 AM   #3
Percon
AF Newbie

98 Rodeo Engine died at first start

Engine died every time i first start. so i just step on the gas so it wont die on me. any body know what's the ploblem
Percon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 12:34 PM   #4
amigo-2k
Isuzu Guy

Sounds like a bad intake gasket. See the FAQ.

Car Show Tips

Old 02-24-2004, 05:18 PM   #5
johnsm
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percon
I have 98 Rodeo. The ABS light turn on i'd check brake fluid and refill it light still on all brake pads ok. Please Help!

ya here is another kick in the nuts for me. My abs light just came on this afternoon

John
johnsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 05:44 PM   #6
amigo-2k
Isuzu Guy

just added this today, but it is not going to help with the ABS light, get your ABS codes read:

How to fix that over-sensitive system by Jeff Rouse:

My brakes sucked. A crack in the road would set the ABS off. I did a few things and it works way better now. After I took my Amigo back to the dealer ("everything checks out within manufacturers specs" ) for difficulty stopping twice, I bled the brakes. This made a HUGE difference. Cost: $0

Then I had some Earl's Plumbing steel braded brake lines custom made (I added 2" in front and 4" in back for future mods) and replaced all five stock rubber lines. HUGE, HUGE improvement. $150

Then I lifted my truck 3" and put rancho 9000's on. I don't know why but this helped quite a bit too. Maybe from it not getting jarred so hard when I'd hit a bump. Beats me, it helped a lot. $400 CP style lift.

I put 265/75/16 Futura Dakata's all around. Good improvement. $510 for five tires - mounted, etc

Next I changed brake pads all around. Axxis metal master. Some improvement. $70 *note, non-OEM pads have a tendency to squeal with used with OEM rotors.

Finally, I swapped the front rotors for Powerstop cross-drilled rotors. (I tow a lot, slotted are better for most people). I left the rear stock - for now. Great improvement in stopping, some improvement in ABS. $230 for the pair.

At first I thought my ABS didn't work anymore, because it didn't' come on for at least six months. Then when driving in the snow I jammed the brakes on one day and... it was still there working like ABS should. Since then it has only come on a few times, and only under extreme braking on bumpy surfaces.

Car Show Tips

Old 02-24-2004, 09:58 PM   #7
johnsm
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percon
Okay I just fixed my light. I read the owners manual and they say to stop the car immediately. Shut it off, start it up again and for about quarter to half mile do not exceed 8 mph, go slow and the light will shut off. If the light comes back on, repeat the same. If it does not go off or it returns, have it serviced.

John

next year I'm using my dashboard for christmas lights on the tree.
johnsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 07:27 PM   #8
Ragman26
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Ragman26 Send a message via MSN to Ragman26 Send a message via Yahoo to Ragman26

I have a 92 Rodeo and the Rear ABS light stays on what should I do? Is this the same thing?
Ragman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 08:04 PM   #9
fergmonster
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to fergmonster

the sensor is on the rear axle on the left side. Unhook the battery(this can reset your
ECU), and clean the sensor with electrical contact cleaner...... if that doesn't work i would replace sensor or unhook bulb in dash.
fergmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 12:09 PM   #10
wb4lbg
AF Regular

The ABS light on my 99 Rodeo LSE usually comes on when I start the truck but not always. Sometimes, it will go off if I accelerate slowly after starting (per the owners' manual).

I bought this from a local used car dealer who bought it from an auction. I have the original owner's name and address from '99 but she has evidently moved since buying this truck. Best guess from CarFax is that she probably had a four year lease on it and when the lease was up, it was auctioned. At any rate, there's no getting any maintenance history from her.

The first week I owned the truck, I never saw the light. The longer I have had it (about a month now), the more frequently the light comes on and the longer it stays on. I called Isuzu and gave them my VIN and according to them, the ABS recall work has been done.

I read that the wheel sensor connectors can be a cause for the light to come on but I have unplugged all of them and they look OK - no gross corrosion. The back sensors and harness (4WD) seem to be all one unit -- anybody know if that's the case? How expensive is this bad boy?

Anybody know of a way to test the sensors themselves -- maybe check the resistance with an ohm meter? Any idea what the resistance should be?

One more thing -- the dealer had the fuel sending unit replaced while it was still on his lot -- don't know if this also included a new fuel pump but he said it cost a bundle for the repair. Does the wiring for the sending unit run in the same connector as the rear ABS sensors? Maybe the repair guys screwed something up when they dropped the gas tank?

When does the low fuel idiot light come on? I've twice put 17-18 gallons into the 21 gallon tank on this truck and have never seen the light even flicker. Maybe they didn't hook this up right either?

Thanks in advance for any help. Been reading this forum for a few weeks now and there seems to be a lot of good info here. I really love the truck but its little quirks (burning a qt of oil every 400 - 500 miles, flaky CD changer, etc) are making me start to regret buying it. I used to have a Honda Accord which had 252,400 mi on the clock when I sold it last week. Aside from a couple of timing belts, routine oil changes, and tires every 50-60K, this thing was a rock. I expect the new owner will get another 100K out of it. I was really hoping the Rodeo would be as solidly reliable.

Sorry so long -- thanks again!

JWS
wb4lbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 01:03 PM   #11
95.5 Rodeo
AF Regular

Re: Re: ABS Light on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragman26
I have a 92 Rodeo and the Rear ABS light stays on what should I do? Is this the same thing?
On my 1995.5 Rodeo, it turned out to be the speed sensor. It cost about $70.00 for the part. I did a resistance check on the sensor and the reading did not agree with the value in the service manual. I haven't had a problem since I installed the new sensor.

Dale

Last edited by 95.5 Rodeo; 04-20-2004 at 06:12 PM.
95.5 Rodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 01:50 PM   #12
wb4lbg
AF Regular

It's my understanding that ABS prior to 1998 was only on the rear wheels. 1998-current is four wheel, three channel -- rear ABS works off a single sensor on the differential on 2WD and there are a total of four sensors on the 4WD (but still only three channels).

Any recollection of what that resistance value was on your 95.5? Probably not the same as the 99 but maybe a starting point. Is this kind of info in the Isuzu maintenance manual or would one be able to find it on alldata.com? I bought a Haynes manual but the info on ABS is pretty sparse (how disappointing).

I pulled the probe on the front passenger side and it looked OK. Couldn't get the one on the driver's side out but I could see the end of the probe through the wheel and it looked OK as far as I could see. Didn't try the back ones -- yet!

Thanks for the reply. Anybody else want to weigh in on this?

JWS
Old 04-20-2004, 03:02 PM   #13
95.5 Rodeo
AF Regular

On my Rodeo, it is a rear wheel system with the sensor mounted on top of the rear differential. The Chilton manual lists a resistance value of 900 - 2000 ohms for a good sensor.

The manual has a section on the four wheel system and the resistance is 900 - 2000 ohms for the front wheel sensors. It says only the 4WD models have separate rear wheel sensors. Remember, the Chilton manual I'm reading from is good up to the 1996 model year only.

What helped me diagnose the problem was that the brakes were occasionally pulsing at "parking lot speeds" of about 10 MPH. I thought the speed input to the system was off. That led me to check the sensor. Sure enough, mine was open. No codes were set in the computer for me to retreive, the lamp on the instrument cluster would light up.

I've never tried the Alldata manual. I have the 1995.5 factory (UC) manual and 2 copies of the Chiltons manual. When I first purchased my Rodeo, I went out and bought the Chiltons manual not even looking at the other one I had for my Trooper. Later, I checked and they were the same! Duh. If anyone wants my extra copy, make me an offer...

Hope this helps.

Dale
Old 04-20-2004, 03:42 PM   #14
wb4lbg
AF Regular

It looks like the rain may be over for today so maybe I will pull out the ol' digital multlimeter and do some resistance checks before it gets dark tonight.

I didn't realize the pre-98's had individual sensors on the back wheels. Does yours have a light called ABS or RWAL? From what I've read the RWAL is for the earlier models and the single sensor is located on the Passenger Side toward the back. The 'brain' is under the passenger seat. I wonder where it is on the 98 and up Rodeos. Doing a Google search on 'Rodeo ABS module location' turned up no useful info.

Also, the Haynes manual says the brake light switch is part of the system on the RWAL's. I guess it ignores the speed sensor when the switch indicates the brake is not being applied. Maybe the switch is part of my problem? The owner's manual says the system does a diagnostic at start-up. Maybe since you have to press the brake pedal to put the truck in gear, the switch is the problem? Brake lights work OK so at least part of the switch is working.

If I ever figure out what's going on here, I will post my findings.

JWS
Old 04-20-2004, 05:46 PM   #15
95.5 Rodeo
AF Regular

My lamp is labeled RrABS.