Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 06:18 PM   #1
conardh
AF Newbie

2000 Rodeo check engine light/no gas guage

2000 Rodeo started with the check engine light and then the gas guage quit working (shows empty with the low fuel warning light flashing) no matter what level is in the tank. The local (independant) repair shop said the code was P0463 (Greek to me) and suggested I take it to the dealer and have him look at it.

I think at worst case I can buy a PCM new/used (for my vehicile) and just change it. Am I off base????

Thanks
conardh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 10:30 AM   #2
rodeo02
AF Enthusiast

Search this site, or try http://www.forum.planetisuzoo.com/ -or- http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?Cat=&C=15 and you will see this is a very common issue with 1998-2000 rodeo V6's. The electrical contacts on the fuel tank sending unit loose good contact (the wiper & board), which causes your fuel gage to not function properly & causes the CEL to light up. You have to pull the gas tank to remove the sending unit to fix this. You can bend the contacts back together, or replace the whole sending unit. Either fix will last about the same- about 30-50Kmi. This issue was resolved for 2001+

G/luck
Joel
rodeo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 10:22 PM   #3
2eyefishclaw
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 2eyefishclaw Send a message via Yahoo to 2eyefishclaw
Re: 2000 Rodeo check engine light/no gas guage

your fuel pump is covered by factory warranty for 10 years or 100,00 miles if you purchased the vehicle new also depends on in service date contact your local dealer
2eyefishclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 10:25 PM   #4
2eyefishclaw
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 2eyefishclaw Send a message via Yahoo to 2eyefishclaw

e-mail your vin # to me at bdaigleus@cox-internet.com I can let you know if that pump is covered or not

the problem is the fuel sending unit
2eyefishclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 02:07 PM   #5
Tom Q
AF Newbie

My 1999 Rodeo did the smae thing yesterday. Low fuel light is flashing. What concerns me is that my blower turns on as soon as the lights flash and it stays on even if the engine is cold. I tried hard resetting by disconnecting the battery. Lights turn back on after 2 minutes of restarting. Is there a temporary way of solving this (fuel light flashing)other than bringing the gas tank down? Is there a possibility of vehicle stall?
Tom Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 07:22 PM   #6
dingobait
AF Regular

I am having similar problems. My fuel gauge went out some time ago. Lately the idling has been rough and it will often stall while waiting at traffic lights. Today my CEL came on. From what I have read here it looks like it's all related to the fuel tank sending unit/fuel pump. The cold start hasn't been good for quite a while either. Is there a cold start valve perhaps causing this, or do you think it all relates to the sending unit/fuel pump?

I will call the dealer on Monday 2/16/04 and will let everyone know what success I have getting them to address these items. I have the 100K warranty and am at 77K so they "should" handle all of this.

Thanks for all of the useful information. This has been a great time saver already.
dingobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 09:22 PM   #7
amigo-2k
Isuzu Guy

Sounds like your fuel sending unit is bad and your intake gasket is bad too. If you're the first owner of a 00-02 you're covered.
-Ryan
review the FAQ at the bottom.

Car Show Tips
Operations manager with a results-driven passion for process improvement
FAQ 98-04 Isuzu Rodeo, Rodeo Sport, Amigo, Trooper

SOLD - NOV2015 - 2000 Amigo, V6, HT winter, ST summer, 2wd
amigo-2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 09:35 PM   #8
dingobait
AF Regular

Re: Re: 2000 Rodeo check engine light/no gas guage

Actually mine is a '99.

I can see on page 6C-9 of the workshop manual that the Fuel pump and sender are one assembly, and it looks like the tank has to be dropped to change it out. I will let the dealer handle that since I have the extended warranty to 102K. It is possible that the head gasket(s) is leaking but I would think that if that was the case the idle would always be erratic. The warranty covers gaskets also. It covers most things. Hopefully the dealer won't dispute anything.

The CEL light went out today and didn't come back on yet.

Current anomalies - Fuel gauge doesn't work, intermittent CEL light, idle sometimes erratic/low and sometimes causes stalling, and it has to be given gas in order to start.

It definitely looks like there are some intermittent connections on the sending unit.

I will relay all information after the dealer visit.
Thanks for the feedback.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:42 AM   #9
rodeo02
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: 2000 Rodeo check engine light/no gas guage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingobait
....It is possible that the head gasket(s) is leaking but I would think that if that was the case the idle would always be erratic. The warranty covers gaskets also. It covers most things. Hopefully the dealer won't dispute anything......
Actually, it's the intake manifold gasket that goes on these engines. When they go bad you get the performance issues you describe & it happens pretty much only at startup & idle (hi vac conditions). Fuel tank sending units are a common problem as well (1998-2000), & make sure you only repair/replace the sending unit. It has it's own part# and can be removed from the $$$ fuel pump. There's MANY posts out there on both of these issues.
G/luck!
Joel
rodeo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 04:22 PM   #10
dingobait
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: Re: 2000 Rodeo check engine light/no gas guage

[quote=rodeo02]Actually, it's the intake manifold gasket that goes on...

Thanks rodeo02. Much appreciated I will definitely keep on top of that. Unfortunately there are some issues with the extended warranty.

"If anyone else out there has an extended Warranty through Smartchoice, be advised that the company has been liquidated. You can get information on what you need to do at http://www.sceadmin.com/index.htm."

The company that the dealer says assumed the bogus Smartchoice warranties is "First Extended" - http://www.firstextended.com/

So far the dealer indicates that their diag shows:

Fuel gauge - problem is with the fuel sending unit.
Check Engine Light (CEL) - they codes indicate misfire - could be the EGR valve
Stalling - Fuel pressure regulator is leaking fuel into a vacuum hose (regulator gets overloaded and dumps fuel)

I am working warranty coverage issues at the moment so I will have to post actual results later. I don't have the actual error codes yet but I will have them before this is all over.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:19 AM   #11
dingobait
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 2000 Rodeo check engine light/no gas guage

The dealer informs me that the new warrantly company will not cover these items. Long story.

The dealer did run the full diagnostic test, though they didn't provide any of the failure codes (another long story that I am still working).

Here's the bottom line fix wise -

The dealer says that the problem with the fuel gauge is the "sending unit", which is a separate part from the fuel pump (fuel pump is covered under warranty). This I expected.

They further say that the "fuel pressure regulator" is the cause of 1) frequent stalling at idle 2) low idle 3) hard starting 4) CEL light (came on once for 1 hour after initial start following an oil and filter change).

The dealer says that they will replace the sending unit and the fuel pressure regulator for $718, which is the full price and not an estimate. Seems very high to me, but to be expected at a dealer.

My questions:

Will I have to get the fuel "sending unit" from a dealer? I couldn't find it on https://www.rockauto.com/, and I doubt any local auto parts store will stock it (I will check)

Is there some reprogramming that has to be done once the sending unit is replaced? That is what the dealer is telling me.

As far as the "fuel pressure regulator", I do see in my service manual a "fuel pressure control valve" that is mounted on the fuel rail and maintains a pressure differential across the injectors under all operating conditions. Seems like it should be easy to replace. It appears to be located on the fuel rail near the intake manifold.

Should I replace the EGR valve as well? And take a good look at the whole EGR system?

Does anyone have experience changing out the "fuel pressure control valve", or the "sending unit in the fuel tank"? Is there some reprogramming that needs to be done as well? What connections need to be cleaned up/made stronger on the sending unit (instead of replacing it)? Are they in a connector on the wiper and board, or are they actually wipers across contact points on a circuit board? It doesn't seem like too difficult of a job to drop the fuel tank.

If anyone has worked on/fixed the sending unit or the fuel pressure control valve, any info you care to share would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark
dingo01@verizon.net
Old 02-25-2004, 12:35 AM   #12
amigo-2k
Isuzu Guy

Seeing that you have a 99 it looks like the sending unit fix should be covered by this recent post:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=193601

Fuel Sending Unit -- Recall in 6-8wks (post on 24Feb04)
"I was called by NHTSA and I was told to expect the fuel sending units on 98-99 Rodeo to be
recalled by Isuzu. They said expect 6-8 weeks."

So I would just use your trip odometer, and every 250miles or so fill-up. And then when you get your recall notice, take it in and have it done for free. FYI: the sending unit costs about 40 bucks from St. Charles Isuzu (shipped). Check my FAQ at the bottom.

Instructions on the fuel pressure regulator removeal:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...ight=regulator

Contact St. Charles Isuzu for a price quote for the part.

Here is an idea what it will cost:
http://www.professionalautoparts.com...16-2266_6.html

But call up St. Charles (5 minute call). OEM is the way to go for sure.

If you don't want to replace it yourself take the part to a local mechanic and print off the instructions.

good luck!

Car Show Tips

Old 02-25-2004, 01:46 PM   #13
dingobait
AF Regular

Amigo 2K,

Incredibly great information. I am of course already well versed in using the trip odometer as my fuel gauge. I will wait for the recall on the sending unit and will have the dealer replace that at the same time that they do the ABS software upgrade on an existing recall.

I just called Isuzu Owner Relations at 800 255 6727 and they don't know anything about the recall yet. I guess the NTHSA hasn't notified them yet. Better to wait and see if it can be fixed for free.

And as far as the fuel pressure regulator GREAT NEWS. I called the local dealer and they want $71.44 for the part. I then call St. Charles Auto, http://isuzu.stcharlesauto.com/index.asp, at your recommendation and even though they are in St. Louis, MO (I am in California), they can get the part to me tomorrow and still beat the local dealer's price even with the cost of priority overnight shipping!!!!!!!!!!!! Now that is service and is quite the opposite of the service available from the local dealers here. That is a great site to have bookmarked.

And with the directions you've provided it looks like a fairly easy job.
Thanks a million Amigo 2K!
Mark
Old 02-25-2004, 03:05 PM   #14
amigo-2k
Isuzu Guy

Wink Re: 2000 Rodeo check engine light/no gas guage

Quote:
Thanks a million Amigo 2K!
not a problem! Would you happent o have the part # and cost? They will be printed on your invoice when y ou get it. I would like to include this info in my FAQ doc.

Thanks!
-Ryan

Car Show Tips

Old 02-25-2004, 05:21 PM   #15
dingobait
AF Regular

As soon as the part is in my hands you will have the information on part number and cost.

I will also give you feedback on how the installation goes.

Thanks again.
Mark