Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 10:30 PM   #91
bighops2000
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to bighops2000 Send a message via Yahoo to bighops2000
Re: Isuzu Rodeo TICKING NOISE !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighops2000 View Post
Engine Valve Train - Ticking Noise
BULLETIN NUMBER:
SB00-01-S009

ISSUE DATE:
SEPTEMBER 2000

0w-30 is almost $9 per quart and the 3.2L V6 takes 5.7. WHEW!!! Sadly with all that Ive tried Ive have never tried this fix. Will do some more research.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:01 AM   #92
345John888
AF Newbie

Quote:
0w-30 is almost $9 per quart and the 3.2L V6 takes 5.7. WHEW!!! Sadly with all that Ive tried Ive have never tried this fix. Will do some more research.
I've also changed teh way I do Oil Changes. I will let the Oil Drain for at least 24Hrs. Cant believe I Have this problem. I changed the Oil at 3000 miles or when it started to tick. Thanks for the Link to Planet Isuzu. The info fits my problem.
345John888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:35 AM   #93
bighops2000
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to bighops2000 Send a message via Yahoo to bighops2000

Hate to bring this back up so late but as an update to the ticking. about 500 miles prior to my oil change i added a quart of rislone. When it came time for the oil chage I swapped a quart of oil for a quart of rislone and used a mobil 1 filter. I didnt notice until today (about 500 miles later...so rislone has been running through the engine for about 1000 miles total) the ticking has significantly improved and is now tolerable. I do however have the ticking at a cold start that another gentleman mentioned but if you turn the car off after 10 seconds and then restart it, its quiet as a mouse?!?!?!!? WTF!!!! If you dont do that, it will go away on its own after a few blocks. I am now a believer that rislone is actually doing something inside the engine.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:45 AM   #94
345John888
AF Newbie

Quote:
Hate to bring this back up so late but as an update to the ticking. about 500 miles prior to my oil change i added a quart of rislone. When it came time for the oil chage I swapped a quart of oil for a quart of rislone and used a mobil 1 filter. I didnt notice until today (about 500 miles later...so rislone has been running through the engine for about 1000 miles total) the ticking has significantly improved and is now tolerable. I do however have the ticking at a cold start that another gentleman mentioned but if you turn the car off after 10 seconds and then restart it, its quiet as a mouse?!?!?!!? WTF!!!! If you dont do that, it will go away on its own after a few blocks. I am now a believer that rislone is actually doing something inside the engine.
I've seen some improvement since using BG MOA. The tick goes away before warmup. And the tick is very light. Next I'm gonna try BG's Engine Oil Change Cleaner.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:52 PM   #95
345John888
AF Newbie

Quote:
Engine Valve Train - Ticking Noise
BULLETIN NUMBER:
SB00-01-S009

ISSUE DATE:
SEPTEMBER 2000

GROUP:
ENGINE

TICKING SOUND FROM HYDRAULIC VALVETRAIN
(Supersedes SB00-01-S002)

NOTE : This service bulletin is being revised to update parts information.

AFFECTED VEHICLES

Some 1997 and earlier Trooper (UX) and Rodeo (UC) V6 models

SERVICE INFORMATION

Condition:
The above affected vehicles may exhibit a condition of ticking sounds coming from the valvetrain during normal operation.

Possible Cause:
One or more hydraulic lash adjusters do not fully extend due to varnish build-up inside. This condition results from exceeding the required oil and filter change intervals. Severe driving conditions require more frequent oil and filter changes. (Refer to appropriate Owner's Manual or Workshop Manual for details.)

Correction:
A typical repair for the condition may involve the replacement of the affected rocker arm(s), and rocker shaft(s). However, follow the information in this bulletin to perform an oil/filter change using 0W-30 Mobil 1 synthetic engine oil, prior to replacing any valvetrain component.

NOTE : Although the current recommended engine oil for these engines is 10W-30 API SJ, the 0W-30 synthetic engine oil allows air in the hydraulic lash adjusters to bleed out quickly and removes the varnish that is preventing hydraulic lash adjuster piston travel.

Service Procedure
1. Drain the engine oil, replace the oil filter with a Genuine Isuzu oil filter, and refill the crankcase with 0W-30 Mobil 1 synthetic engine oil.

2. With the engine warm, run it at 2,500 rpm for 30 minutes.

^ If the ticking noise goes away, return the vehicle to the customer.

^ If the ticking noise persists, proceed with step 3.

3. Let the motor run at idle and use a stethoscope or Steel screwdriver to determine which bank is noisy. Once you have determined the location, turn the key off. (Figure 1)

4. Remove the cylinder head cover on the noisy bank.

5. Inspect each rocker arm for clearance at the valve (when the rocker is on the base circle of the cam and the valve is closed). The noisy rocker arms are the ones with clearance. (Figure 2)

NOTE : Each cylinder head has one oil pressure relief valve that controls oil pressure to its rocker arms. If all rocker arms on one cylinder head have clearance and/or the rocker arm pivot shaft is worn, then the cylinder head oil pressure relief valve may be stuck open. In this case, refer to the appropriate Workshop Manual for additional troubleshooting procedures.

6. Remove the ticking rocker arm assembly, and inspect the wear pattern of the hydraulic lash adjuster surface that contacts the valve stem (the intake rocker arm is located under the camshafts, which require timing belt removal).

7. Carefully remove the Hydraulic Lash Adjuster(s) from the Rocker Arms using your fingers. (Figure 4)

IMPORTANT : Do not damage the O-Ring on the outside of the Hydraulic Lash Adjuster, or you will have to replace the entire rocker arm (the Hydraulic Lash Adjuster cannot be ordered separately). When replacing an exhaust rocker arm, replace its intermediate rocker arm too.

8. Insert a paper clip into the hole at the top of the Hydraulic Lash Adjuster and depress the spring loaded check ball, while completely pushing in the piston at the opposite end. Some traces of oil may come out of the check ball hole. (Figure 5)

9. Carefully remove and retain the Hydraulic Lash Adjuster O-Ring. Spray the Hydraulic Lash Adjuster piston with carburetor cleaner to remove any varnish (while holding the piston in). (Figure 6)

10. Submerge the Hydraulic Lash Adjuster in new cleaning solvent; (while depressing the check ball) pump the piston repeatedly to allow the cleaning solvent to penetrate through the Hydraulic Lash Adjuster. (Figure 7)

11. Submerge the Hydraulic Lash Adjuster in clean 0W-30 Mobil 1 synthetic engine oil, (while depressing the check ball) pump the piston repeatedly to allow 0W-30 Mobil 1 synthetic engine oil to penetrate through the Hydraulic Lash Adjuster. Then allow the piston to extend fully, to fill the Hydraulic Lash Adjuster with oil.

12. Reinstall the Hydraulic Lash Adjuster O-Ring.

13. Lube the Rocker Arm bore that houses the Hydraulic Lash Adjuster with 0W-30 Mobil 1 synthetic engine oil, then push the Hydraulic Lash Adjuster back into place.

14. Inspect for leaks at the check ball and piston by attempting to compress the Hydraulic Lash Adjuster without depressing the check ball (The Hydraulic Lash Adjuster should not leak or compress).

NOTE : Oil filled Hydraulic Lash Adjuster will hold its valve off the seat for several crank revolutions. This may cause the engine to run rough for a short period after starting. To prevent this, select one cylinder and bleed some oil off the Hydraulic Lash Adjuster (depress the Check Ball and compress the piston 1/4 of the way down). This will allow the valve to close. Do not remove all of the oil or the valves spring and cam will collapse the Hydraulic Lash Adjuster permanently.

15. Reassemble the engine using new cylinder head cover gasket (see Parts Information) and apply some gasket seal at the corners where the cam tower gasket and cylinder meet. Torque the Cylinder head cover bolts to 8 Nm (69 lb. in) using hand tools only.

16. Start the engine and listen for noise.

17. Remind the customer, "More frequent oil changes can prevent varnish accumulation." Also recommend to use minimum oil rating of: API Service SG, but SJ is preferred
I have a real big question for everyone. Where was the Rodeo manufactured. At the time there was 2 plants in America. Reason being is I've heard people say there Rodeo run just fine. Its makes me wonder if it was a Manufacturing Plant at fault. I'd really like to do a POLL on this. If anyone is interested. The info is where you open the drivers door. And on a sticker.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:11 AM   #96
tkinney1991
AF Newbie

i had the same porblem but i let it go for awhile and when i was driving around and i heard a loud pop and the noise stopped and lost alot of power any suggestions
tkinney1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:55 PM   #97
labrea
AF Newbie

Guys,
I have a 2001 rodeo 3.2L
around 140k

2 weeks ago, I decided to clean EGR Valve (myself) and got oil change at Ez Lube, (as always), since that day I noticed there is ticking noise, I can't tell there it's exactly coming from but I usually hear it when I stop at red light, stop sign or park my car and it goes away right after I hit gas pedal. or I don't hear it anymore . it's not always, but it happens everyday, I was wondering if ezlube used wrong type of oil or used worst quality oil instead of what I paid (castrol gtx)

what you guys think?
labrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:54 PM   #98
slxdrvr
AF Newbie

Just wanted to say Thanks for all the ideas with the ticking noise. I was ready to get rid of our 96 slx. The ticking was VERY loud and our mechanic said it would be a costly repair. But one quart of rislone and a mobile 1 full synth 5w30 oil change and the ticking was GONE in 10 miles!!! I never post...but I wanted to say a BIG THANKS...will update if there are changes.
slxdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #99
mrradkids
AF Newbie

Smile Re: Isuzu Rodeo TICKING NOISE !

I have a 95 Rodeo 5 speed 3.2v6. I work at an auto parts store and I have tried the sea foam. It helped and cleaned out the engine great - put it in your fuel too for the fuel injectors. But, it did not completely cure my ticking. I have noticed while out and about it does seem to be a common Isuzu problem because I have heard it in a lot of them. I had already thought I would try the Rislone next, it is a wonderful product and has helped several of our customers. I am due for an oil change and will post the result. I have not been impressed with putting the cheap oil in mine. I have had other vehicles that didn't seem to be affected by it, but my Rodeo doesn't like it. I tried the Motorcraft semi-synthetic and didn't like it either. I am thinking Castrol High Mileage next since I am at 170,000 ODO miles.
mrradkids is offline   Reply With Quote