Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Technical
Technical Discuss different strategies and theories of the racing aspect.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 02:38 AM   #16
Vip09
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Vip09
Gas mileage is great in 6th gear!
Old 01-24-2005, 02:04 PM   #17
kfoote
AF Enthusiast

Re: 6 speed vs. 5 speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKIISupra
did you just say that the differance is only 10-20 pounds. It seems like you are saying that is not alought of weight. Well, that is a lotta lotta lotta weight. JGTC guys take grams off of cars, taking 10-20 pounds off is more helpfull than you think. I am stripping my whole entire car, no iterior AC no rear seats no speakers or anything.
For racing, a 6 speed transmission with closer gear ratios for highly tuned engined with a narrow powerband will be faster because it allows more time spent at peak power, which more than makes up for the added weight. If you're trying to remove weight, there are a lot of better places that are more effective to remove weight from than the savings of a 5-speed over a 6-speed. As an extreme example of this, take the Jaguar F1 team. They run a 6-speed sequential gearbox, but use a special lightweight green paint because most green paints are too heavy.

The only time I can see the weight benefits of a 5 speed vs a 6-speed to be beneficial is in a low power car (think under 100 HP) with a flat torque curve and wide powerband, which is not exactly the prime group of cars that someone who would be considering going from a 6-speed to a 5-speed to save 20 pounds would have.
kfoote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:06 PM   #18
Elfonzo
AF Newbie

I don't see anyone directly answering the question. If it’s a quicker ET time in a quarter mile that your after, you may wont to just swap out you're gears in the rear end. It is best to be at the top of your final climbing gear at the highest power out pot. Some cars red line is after the peek power curve and you can run slower times if you ride out your gears. I would find out were your torque curve is at before making any big decisions. A lot of newer cars with bigger engines need the extra gears to meet CAFE standards to be sold in the US, it is not always for performance.
Elfonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 01:03 PM   #19
bandito88
AF Newbie

I'm trying to refurbish a 69' Camaro SS Z28. I've done some research on them and it looks like they only come in a 4-speed manual transmission. I know that there are conversion kits for 5 and 6 speed, is it worth the money to convert the 4 into a 5 or 6 speed??
bandito88 is offline   Reply With Quote