Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-19-2001, 02:21 PM   #1
nsx2000
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to nsx2000
I just bought a '95 Mustang GT 5.0 with 44,000 miles and has a Paxton supercharger on it. Along an MSD ignition box and Blaster 2 coil, Paxton Fuel regulator, and K&N filter. Now I have never driven a mustang GT before and I don't know how fast a stock GT feels. But I don't know if the car is running right. I raced a stock '90 Mustang GT the other night and we were neck and neck. Now the next day I did find out the K&N filter was badly dirty, so I recleaned it. But that shouldn't have made that big of a difference, should it? I also have a stock exhaust system. I was think of putting a off road x-pipe from Flowmaster and an aftercat DynoMax muffler system in. Will this help since the blower is pushing more air into the engine. And also I was thinking of leaving the stock headers on. How good or bad of an idea is that. I don't understand how a stock '90 GT could keep up with me. So I don't know what else to look at right now before changing the exhaust. Please help me.
Now for the gears. I do some interstate driving a couple times a month so I was thinking of putting 3.55 gears in. Is that a good all around gear? And could someone please tell me what the stock gears are in my car. I can't find an answer anywhere.
Any help telling me why my car doesn't seam to run like a supercharger car and any of the above questions will be very much appreciated. Thanks
nsx2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2001, 03:49 PM   #2
GTO-TT/Chev57
AF Regular

You should have a lot more power than stock, Check the boost and timing. The exhaust from the headers back will help heaps for a blown motor. 3.55 gears will give you good take off power, have you got a 5speed that will help with the rev's on the interstate, depends what speed you drive at. Use good fuel higher the better this will help keep the timing and boost up without detonation.
56 Chev Stepside 454 Supercharged
GTO-TT/Chev57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2001, 07:05 PM   #3
nsx2000
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to nsx2000
It's a five speed and I don't go over 85 very often
I talked to a guy today at a parts store and he said that the '90 GTs were about 800 lbs. lighter and have 35 more hp. But would that be enough to alow it to pace me? With everything on my car I should have about 320 hp. I will need to get a boost gauge on my car to see what the supercharger is pushing. I geuss I could take the belt to the supercharger off and then see how it runs. And I've been using Premium 91 octane fuel. I even put a can of BG 44K in the tank this time. Maybe that will help clean everything real well. How high of an octane of fuel can/should you use with a supercharged engine?
nsx2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2001, 12:52 AM   #4
GTO-TT/Chev57
AF Regular

The 3.55 gars will be allright at 85 with a five speed just a few more rev's. 800lbs is a lot of weight which will make a difference in racing. You should have more than 320hp thats not much for a blown 5.0. Taking the belt off the blower will not give you a good comparison because at higher rev's the the blower is a restriction to the intake and make the motor run rich and flatten out. The belt fell off my truck and it only went up to 3000rpm before engine missfire. How high is your fuel there. We have got 91,96,98 octane but the 98 is only in the north island dam it need it in the south island for my truck, high compression only run 5lbs boost, even on a hot day she will pink on 96. Put the boost gauge on it and see what she has got depends on compression ratio to how high you can go before you start to detonate, or timing, best to set it on the road but don't kill it with, Oh my god this goes better and better with more boost untill it pops.
56 Chev Stepside 454 Supercharged
GTO-TT/Chev57 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical