Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > HHR
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 09:52 PM   #1
SaintJimmy
AF Newbie

High temps when idling

I have a 2011 HHR, and when I'm driving, the temp seems to stay in the 190-200 degree range. But I've started to notice recently that when I'm not moving, the temp climbs up pretty fast. It doesn't overheat, but temps reach 235-240 in just a short time. This happens whether I'm in park or in drive with the brake applied.

My first thought was that maybe the radiator fan wasn't kicking in, but it seems to be working fine.

I also noticed that if I put the car in park and give the engine a little gas, the temp begins to climb back down... so I don't think it's an airflow issue.

Anyone have any ideas what the problem might be?
SaintJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:52 PM   #2
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: High temps when idling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintJimmy View Post
I have a 2011 HHR, and when I'm driving, the temp seems to stay in the 190-200 degree range. But I've started to notice recently that when I'm not moving, the temp climbs up pretty fast. It doesn't overheat, but temps reach 235-240 in just a short time. This happens whether I'm in park or in drive with the brake applied.

My first thought was that maybe the radiator fan wasn't kicking in, but it seems to be working fine.

I also noticed that if I put the car in park and give the engine a little gas, the temp begins to climb back down... so I don't think it's an airflow issue.

Anyone have any ideas what the problem might be?
the 235 deg f temp is high. at idle with the ac off the temp can climb to 235deg f then the fan should come on.

you may have a leak and this has allowed air to enter the coolant system. check for leaks. pressure test thesystem for leaks.

if the coolant pressure is not present the coolant will boil a 212f. then the coolant will over heat because the water pump can not pump air.

make sure the system has pressure when hot !
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to j cAT For This Useful Post:
SaintJimmy (09-26-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 01:44 PM   #3
SaintJimmy
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by j cAT View Post
the 235 deg f temp is high. at idle with the ac off the temp can climb to 235deg f then the fan should come on.

you may have a leak and this has allowed air to enter the coolant system. check for leaks. pressure test thesystem for leaks.

if the coolant pressure is not present the coolant will boil a 212f. then the coolant will over heat because the water pump can not pump air.

make sure the system has pressure when hot !
Thanks for the response.

It's really hard to see the markings or even the coolant level in the reservoir on these HHR's. I decided to try adding coolant and see what happens. I filled the reservoir and topped off the radiator, and since then the temps have been running about 180-185 and stays steady even when idle. The reservoir took quite a bit of coolant, so the level was definitely low, which leaves me now looking for leaks. So far, I haven't found any, which is leaving me a bit perplexed as to how the level got so low. Luckily, I don't see any signs of a blown head gasket.
SaintJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:41 PM   #4
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintJimmy View Post
Thanks for the response.

It's really hard to see the markings or even the coolant level in the reservoir on these HHR's. I decided to try adding coolant and see what happens. I filled the reservoir and topped off the radiator, and since then the temps have been running about 180-185 and stays steady even when idle. The reservoir took quite a bit of coolant, so the level was definitely low, which leaves me now looking for leaks. So far, I haven't found any, which is leaving me a bit perplexed as to how the level got so low. Luckily, I don't see any signs of a blown head gasket.
keep the res bottle at the full hot mark when hot .check every day . if its still dropping you will have to find that leak.

could be a head gasket. also the water pump can leak and not show much. remember even though you may live where it never gets cold out you must use at a min 50% coolant. I use 65% . not for the freezing but for the corrosion protection. this with distilled water .drinking water is contaminated.
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 04:53 PM   #5
david1965d
AF Newbie

Once you get to a place where you can let the vehicle cool off, check the thermostat housing to see if the small 10 mm bolts are tight. Be care and don't over tighten them. My HHR was doing the same thing so I checked those bolts and one needed tightening. I turned the motor on after that. I put it in drive and held the brake to let it idle. It went up to 217 and the fan came on. Then the motor cooled down to 189. I turned it off and the system sucked some antifreeze from the recovery tank.Problem solved. Check that! It might be an easy fix.
david1965d is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > HHR