Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 07:42 AM   #1
stylez777
AF Newbie

Opinion needed.

I went to the store the other day cause I was looking to replace my factory speakers. I have a 99 Sunfire 2dr coupe. I had a choice of getting either the Pioneer TS-a6981R or TS-a942P 6x9's. After looking at all the specs these speakers basically seemed identical (excepts the max watts ones was 420 other was 440) Anyone familiar with these speakers know which ones are better or if there is any difference in them at all??

Also I have 4x6's in the front. How difficult would it be to put bigger speakers in the doors? I know there will be some customizing involved but is it worth it to go bigger since 4x6's are not that great to begin with?
stylez777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:44 AM   #2
PaulD
Audio Guy

Send a message via AIM to PaulD Send a message via Yahoo to PaulD
Re: Opinion needed.

try using a 5 1/4" coaxial in the front, shouldn't be too bad
PaulD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:02 AM   #3
stylez777
AF Newbie

Ya i have to look into what i cna do for bigger in the front. was looking at 5 1/4 or 6 1/2 if posible.

though this pioneer is REALLY bothering me. I mean seriously, they put out two speakers that are IDENTICAL in specs. Label one premier and the other not and sell them for the same price. why??? there HAS to be something different doesn't there?? please someone has to know...I can't let this go until i know and answer, it going to keep bothering me
Old 04-02-2007, 12:32 PM   #4
bjboertje
AF Enthusiast

not much difference. get the premiers.
Rainbow CMX 265 front stage
Stock 5X7 rear fill
Hifonics BX1505D
TC-5200
bjboertje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:41 PM   #5
sickcallawayc12
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylez777
Ya i have to look into what i cna do for bigger in the front. was looking at 5 1/4 or 6 1/2 if posible.

though this pioneer is REALLY bothering me. I mean seriously, they put out two speakers that are IDENTICAL in specs. Label one premier and the other not and sell them for the same price. why??? there HAS to be something different doesn't there?? please someone has to know...I can't let this go until i know and answer, it going to keep bothering me
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Z74D6Eh...130TSA6981#Tab
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...262691,00.html
specs for both. both are pretty much the same. Personally, i'd take the pioneer just for the looks. Both are decent products for the money so don't let it bother you.
PIAA Super Plasmas GT-X bulbs
PIAA Xtreme White bulbs
K & N drop-in filter

"Melo" and "AI". Enough said.
sickcallawayc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:07 PM   #6
PlayStation3
AF Enthusiast

not to try to bash you but was this store walmart? anyway the thing with pioneer is that if possable get the premier version
PlayStation3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 04:22 PM   #7
stylez777
AF Newbie

Nah it wasn't Walmart...I never even woudl step into a walmart for anything!! let alone Car audio!! It was an Audio shop near me. They had both Pioneers. I bought the Premier ones but after i got them I started thinking which of the two were actually better and that is when it started to bother me. I know everyone says the REV series is the only way to go but im not big of an audiophile that i need top of the line everything.

As far as my front 4x6's go, i went to a few audio shops today and alot of them said they could Customize the door to put bigger speaker sin the front, but the cost was just way too much. ?One place said they would put in 6x8 Pioneers (crappy bottom of the line $60 speakers) and they wanted $300 for installation and customization. So guess I am stuck with crappy 4x6's...
Old 04-02-2007, 06:20 PM   #8
PaulD
Audio Guy

Send a message via AIM to PaulD Send a message via Yahoo to PaulD

I think you could cut a peice of MDF wood yourself to mount a 5 1/4" coaxial. The outside diminsions would be just a little bigger then the 4"X6" and the inside hole needs to fit a 5 1/4", so maybe 4 1/2 - 3/4. The speaker instructions will have the correct size. Try to stay away from oval speakers.
PaulD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:39 PM   #9
stylez777
AF Newbie

Ok assuming i want to customize the front 4x6 for bigger speakers, i have some questions.

1 once the door panel is off and i remove the stock speaker to reveal the factory hole in the door, I would want to measure the depth of the hole correct?

2 Would I have to cut the metal on the door to make the whole bigger for the bigger speakers? If so what kinda tool would i need to make the cut? Jigsaw, snips?

3 I assume I would need to purchase speaker mounts to stick in my newly resized hole so the speaker mounts correctly?

4 How do I know how big to make the hole before i purchase a set of speakers? Like I don;t want to just buy a pair of speakers then find out there too big or something then have to keep returning them till i get a set that works. What key things would i be looking for before I purchase them?
Old 04-02-2007, 10:44 PM   #10
PlayStation3
AF Enthusiast

you need the following:

dremel drill
normal drill
self tapping screws for convince.
and besides wire cause who wants to use old 18 guage speaker wire

you might need spacers though

for your sake i would pay attention to besides the specs of it as a speaker. the mounting depth.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:09 AM   #11
stylez777
AF Newbie

ok i took off the door panel, and got to the speaker took that out and it's a square hole with the factory mount and the speaker in that. Problem i seen and a friend seen aswell is the window is pretty close to the hole, so if I go with a 5 1/4 speaker i need a shallow depth or else the magnet will hit the window. Also I can't come too far out into the car or else my window crank will hit the speaker. I guess i will need to build a custom mount out of something that will fit into the factory square hole that will hold the 5 1/4 speaker assuming i can find a shallow enough one that sounds good....
Old 04-03-2007, 02:19 PM   #12
PlayStation3
AF Enthusiast

have you looked into kick panels and also thats where the spacers come in with the depth issue

Last edited by PlayStation3; 04-03-2007 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:51 PM   #13
BlasZ24
AF Regular

I have actually done this exact thing and I have essentially the same car (2000 Sunfire GT 2dr). I used a 3/4" piece of MDF as my speaker bracket. It fits perfectly in the door and it gives enough of a space in the door for a decent sized magnet. The speakers I have are 5 1/4" Alpine Type R component speakers. They have a pretty decent sized magnet on them... The diameter of the magnet is about the same size as the cone of the speaker, and they are kinda thick too.

The magnet did not fit through the hole at first but it was a pretty close fit I actually just took a hammer and hit the metal so it was bent a bit in the middle to fit the magnet through the hole.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio