Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #1
Honda_Civic7
AF Newbie

Wheel bearings question

Honda Civic 2005
Replaced just the right front bearings (no assembly) a year and a half ago.
Everything was fine until 5 months ago. Then sound started developing. I wasn't sure if it was left or right. I suppose it could have been both. Today I had the left front (whole assembly) replaced. It's still making the sound.

My question comes from this old post:
Quote:
It could be that the previous wheel bearing that was replaced was done so improperly (pressed in too far or not enough, or the axle nut was torqued down too much), or that the other side has now gone bad. Usually, replacing both side wheel bearings at the same time (both fronts or both rears) is recommended.
Does that mean that I need to replace the whole thing, or is it possible that the right front could merely be torqued down some (at very little cost)?
Honda_Civic7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
82Stang
AF Enthusiast

Re: Wheel bearings question

A bad wheel bearing will make a moan going down the road that is consistent with wheel speed. As the speed increases, so does the moan. Pinpoint which side is making the moan first. If you have a right front wheel bearing making a moan, go down the road and turn slightly left and right, you will hear it change as load changes. That will tell you it's the right side. Regardless of it being done before, something failed.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:52 PM   #3
Honda_Civic7
AF Newbie

Re: Wheel bearings question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82Stang View Post
A bad wheel bearing will make a moan going down the road that is consistent with wheel speed. As the speed increases, so does the moan. Pinpoint which side is making the moan first. If you have a right front wheel bearing making a moan, go down the road and turn slightly left and right, you will hear it change as load changes. That will tell you it's the right side. Regardless of it being done before, something failed.
Well I just had the left done 2 days ago so it must be the right.
Honda_Civic7 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General