Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > ZX2
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 08:21 PM   #1
hotrod_chevyz
AF Enthusiast

2000 zx2 problem

It runs fine when its cold. After it warms up it seems to run fine for around 15 minutes. Then suddenly the idle drops off below 600 and the engine starts to shake. As its doing this if you stand behind the car the exhaust sounds like the engine is missing. no CEL comes on so i figured a v-leak.

Any ideas on what it could be?
hotrod_chevyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:16 AM   #2
Markb873
AF Regular

Re: 2000 zx2 problem

Vaccum leak or possibly the computer isn't compinsating for an electrical load. Does it go away with everything off? Usually with a vaccum leak after the MAF the MIL will light. But maybe it's a minor one. Good Luck

-Mark
Markb873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 10:59 AM   #3
hotrod_chevyz
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markb873
Vaccum leak or possibly the computer isn't compinsating for an electrical load. Does it go away with everything off? Usually with a vaccum leak after the MAF the MIL will light. But maybe it's a minor one. Good Luck

-Mark
Everything was off when i tested it. I was thinking it was a leak at the TB because once it started running wrong after it warmed up, i sprayed some carb cleaner around the base of the TB and the idle came back up and it smoothed out.

So i replaced the TB gasket and it had no effect on the problem. She said when it messed up, she thought either she ran over something or something fell off the car. After looking for missings and found none visible i asked her if it could have been a backfire, she said yes.

What are the chances it backfired and cracked the intake somewhere i cannot see?
Old 02-26-2007, 05:20 AM   #4
KimMG
AF - Advisor

After you replaced the gasket, did you try looking for a vacuum leak again with carburetor cleaner to make sure there aren't any other leaks?
KimMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:54 AM   #5
hotrod_chevyz
AF Enthusiast

Yeah, I didnt find none...I must need a second set of eyes to look at it maybe something i dont see ya know.. its a bummer too my sis really needs that car.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:36 PM   #6
hotrod_chevyz
AF Enthusiast

UPDATE:

The problem was at the elbow on the "PCV hose assembly." The PCV valve has a plastic hose that runs from the PCV valve back around to the bottom of the intake manifold. At each end of the plastic PCV valve tube are rubber elbows that connect to the intake on one end and the PCV valve on the other. The elbows are very soft and weak rubber material. The problem in this instance was a hole developed on one of the elbows causing a huge leak.

A dealership wanted $22.50 for the entire "pcv hose assembly", and $50.00 to install it. DONT BUY IT! The original ones are junk crap and a superior repair is less than $10.00 and takes about ten minutes to put on.

Buy a PCV valve with a elbow built into it, and use a very small STRAIGHT piece of fuel emissions hose to connect the PCV valve to the plastic tube. On the other end of the plastic tube, replace the elbow with a rubber "PCV elbow (chrysler)" ( auto zone help part no. 47028) you can find for $3.99 at auto zone in the "help" section of the store. You will also need to buy a couple of small hose clamps to connect the elbow to both the intake, and the plastic tube.

If you do this consider it an upgrade and anybody who has this same car check yours out and make sure you dont have a hole in it, or if the elbow is sucking flat where no air can travel through it. This car is a low miles vehicle and its rubber fittings are going bad. If you have +50k miles, replace the rubber ends i know they are bad without having to look because they are all the same.

The noise she heard originally was probably due to the PCV not working correctly. I believe the rubber end of the tube sucked flat not allowing the crankcase to vent. The crankcase eventually filled with gasses from the combustion chamber, wich blew a hole in the rubber elbow resulting in a miss.

Last edited by hotrod_chevyz; 03-07-2007 at 07:21 PM.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:54 AM   #7
GrZX2000
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod_chevyz
UPDATE:

The problem was at the elbow on the "PCV hose assembly." The PCV valve has a plastic hose that runs from the PCV valve back around to the bottom of the intake manifold. At each end of the plastic PCV valve tube are rubber elbows that connect to the intake on one end and the PCV valve on the other. The elbows are very soft and weak rubber material. The problem in this instance was a hole developed on one of the elbows causing a huge leak.

A dealership wanted $22.50 for the entire "pcv hose assembly", and $50.00 to install it. DONT BUY IT! The original ones are junk crap and a superior repair is less than $10.00 and takes about ten minutes to put on.

Buy a PCV valve with a elbow built into it, and use a very small STRAIGHT piece of fuel emissions hose to connect the PCV valve to the plastic tube. On the other end of the plastic tube, replace the elbow with a rubber "PCV elbow (chrysler)" ( auto zone help part no. 47028) you can find for $3.99 at auto zone in the "help" section of the store. You will also need to buy a couple of small hose clamps to connect the elbow to both the intake, and the plastic tube.

If you do this consider it an upgrade and anybody who has this same car check yours out and make sure you dont have a hole in it, or if the elbow is sucking flat where no air can travel through it. This car is a low miles vehicle and its rubber fittings are going bad. If you have +50k miles, replace the rubber ends i know they are bad without having to look because they are all the same.

The noise she heard originally was probably due to the PCV not working correctly. I believe the rubber end of the tube sucked flat not allowing the crankcase to vent. The crankcase eventually filled with gasses from the combustion chamber, wich blew a hole in the rubber elbow resulting in a miss.

Hey Guys,

I'm know to this forum and really like the way you all share info.

Ok, I think I might be having the same problem with my 2000 ZX2. I took it to Auto Zone and got a reading 171 which includes a vacuum leak. I sprayed the MAF sensor, changed the O2 sensor, but my "check Engine" light is still on. My mileage is the same but the engine seems like it's about to cut off when I come to a stop and idles rough if standing too long. I know there is a vacuum leak some where but I haven't found it yet.

I also don't know, exactly, where the PCV is located. I think this might be the real problem since I checked everything else (I'm a novice, but I catch on quick). The diagrams I've seen don't totally match my engine, so I'm having trouble locating the PCV...of course the shops I took it to wanted to charge me money and attempt to convince me it's something else, but never just tell me where the PCV is.

Thanks if any one has a clear diagram, better picture, of a 2000 ZX 2000 engine.

GRZX2000
GrZX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:55 PM   #8
Markb873
AF Regular

It's tucked under the exhaust manifold, it's visible on the right side (looking at the engine).
Markb873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:44 AM   #9
GrZX2000
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markb873
It's tucked under the exhaust manifold, it's visible on the right side (looking at the engine).
Thanks Mark.

I ended up buying a repair manual at Advanced Auto, but it's like I've heard already. The diagrams don't match up all the time, but it will work for other projects.

I bought the pcv but haven't put in in yet. That will happen this weekend unless I"m forced to do it earlier cause of my car cut off a couple of time heaed home when coming to a stop at the light. I played around with the hose a bit from the pcv and didn't hear the sucking when I pressed the gas I used to hear, so I'm sure this is the vacuum problem I've been having.

GRZX2000
GrZX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:07 PM   #10
lewis0300
AF Newbie

Her is your solution you will need a hose clamp to. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Help-Ford-1997-1998-PCV-elbow/_/N-25vf?counter=0&filterByKeyWord=pcv+elbow&fromStrin g=search&itemIdentifier=715889_0_0_
lewis0300 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > ZX2