Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 03:54 PM   #136
carrrnuttt
AF Fanatic

Re: Srt4 Vs Wrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER D12
like ldelaysionl said their so close its a drivers race.
Therein lies my point: Saying that the two is a driver's race is like saying a 13-second LS1 is a driver's race against a 14-second Mustang GT...we both know each car is fast in their own rights, and a mistake by the LS1-driver compared to good driving by the Mustang might result in the 'Stang winning but, we all know and admit which one is the faster car...which you guys can't seem to admit about the SRT-4.

Let's quote |delaysion|'s quote of himself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldelaysionl
any idiot who knows how to shift should be able to waste a stock wrx in a stock srt4 anywhere above 30mph.
Last I checked, even a quarter-mile went WAY past 30mph?

And before you guys talk about turns, Neon ACRs have been wasting WRXs long before the SRT came out, and PVO used whatever Dodge has learned with that car on the SRT.

An SRT-4 also wasted all the AWD-class cars at Pikes Peak, except one: http://www.srtforums.com/forums/show...threadid=21290

Just admit it. Especially in straight-line speed: STi > SRT-4 > WRX...plain and simple.

Just as I go to SRTforums and challenge the SRT fanb0is, I am on here doing the same to the opposite side.

ANd lastly, RACER D12: The SRTs are doing JUST fine over 300HP: http://fastattack.org/srtgurl/Fastes...mes%20List.htm

Have you read the article in SCC about how strong the 2.4 motor is?
Old 12-22-2003, 04:15 PM   #137
LjasonL
Some Guy

Send a message via AIM to LjasonL
Re: Re: Srt4 Vs Wrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrrnuttt
Therein lies my point: Saying that the two is a driver's race is like saying a 13-second LS1 is a driver's race against a 14-second Mustang GT...
But it's not like there's a full second difference between them, it's a couple tenths. My runs vary by more than a few tenths in a night when I go to the strip, and that's the same car, same driver, same conditions. My point is that even with equal drivers, nobody is perfect and nobody can make a perfect run every time, and their times are so close one could win 1 race, then they line up again 5 minutes later and the other could win. Or maybe it's hot out, and 1 is more affected by it than the other, so with equal drivers the SRT4 might win in hot weather and the WRX in cold. There's just not enough of a difference to give an SRT4 owner an assured victory every time he comes up against a stock WRX, even if he is one of those guys who can pull a 13.8.

Quote:
Last I checked, even a quarter-mile went WAY past 30mph?
I was talking about going from a 30 mph roll.
Old 12-22-2003, 04:21 PM   #138
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Send a message via AIM to Neutrino

carnutt its right...the srt4 can do pretty good even from a stand still despite being FF...srtgurl's still has an open diff and pulled a 12.6

the 04 will do much better with the quaifee though

and about its handling...its very good...as i said just testdrive one and you'll be hooked

the srt4 was very nimble its brakes were fenomenal and the engine pulled like a V8

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Old 12-22-2003, 07:15 PM   #139
RACER D12
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to RACER D12

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrrnuttt
ANd lastly, RACER D12: The SRTs are doing JUST fine over 300HP: http://fastattack.org/srtgurl/Fastes...mes%20List.htm
If you read my post again you will see that I said the SRT can make over 300hp. What I was saying though was good luck driving that on the street. Think of what a bitch that would be driving around town and maybe racing here or there. All the the SRTs toward the top of that list had some kind of slicks. Are you going to use slicks on the street? However a 300hp WRX would be very streetable and put its power down on and off the track with out slicks.

This is one of the longest threads I have seen that has not broke out into a flame war

Lindsey Boost Enhancer, Blitz EBC, Hot Air Intake, Koni Yellows
Old 12-22-2003, 07:27 PM   #140
Steiner
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Srt4 Vs Wrx

Quote:
If you read my post again you will see that I said the SRT can make over 300hp. What I was saying though was good luck driving that on the street. Think of what a bitch that would be driving around town and maybe racing here or there. All the the SRTs toward the top of that list had some kind of slicks. Are you going to use slicks on the street? However a 300hp WRX would be very streetable and put its power down on and off the track with out slicks.

This is one of the longest threads I have seen that has not broke out into a flame war
I think I see what your saying, but using that logic you would have to say that any 300hp non AWD car would be a bitch to drive around town. Why would driving a 300hp 3000lb FWD car to the liquor store be any more difficult than driving a 400hp 3500lb RWD car to the grocery store? A slip of the foot on either car and you can lose control.

If you're talking about daily driveable SRT-4's that can run sub 13 second 1/4 miles...yes you're probably right. A 12 second WRX can do it on the factory tires because of AWD, but the SRT-4 has to stop at the garage and swap out the street tires for some slicks if they wanna get the best times possible.
Old 12-22-2003, 08:29 PM   #141
RACER D12
AF Enthusiast

True but RWD is set up to get a lot better traction than FWD. However we are comparing the WRX vs the SRT so I was just making my case for those two. The second half of your post is what I was saying once you start going over that 300hp mark any FWD car is going to start having traction issues. Which is why the WRX will always be the fastest on the street. The SRT can only go so far on the street before it becomes "nose happy".

Edit:I mean in the end if you mod both, the WRX will be faster because the SRT can only go so far before it needs slicks

Old 12-22-2003, 09:14 PM   #142
Steiner
AF Enthusiast

I think you just have feather the clutch a little more w/FWD. Once you get moving it won't be an issue. We're talking 300hp not 800hp. I've heard SRT-4 drivers are pulling low 13 second and high 12 second times on street tires. Of course w/slicks the 60ft times are better, but the traps speeds are comparable.
Old 12-23-2003, 01:27 AM   #143
Neutrino
Yaya Master

and if i'm not wrong the ecu is programed for less boost in 1st gear so peeling out will not be a problem

even if you get over 300hp you can get a profec b and run very low boost in 1st then use the remote button to switch to high boost in second

(\__/)
Old 12-23-2003, 02:32 AM   #144
Self
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Self
Just in case everyone has forgotten...Torque spins wheels, not horsepower. A 300hp fwd car isn't that big of a deal people. Especially not coming from a smaller motor with not all that much torque. You can have 900hp and 100lbs of tq and not spin the wheels. I don't think that 300hp in an srt would really be that hard to drive around on a daily basis(at least not as far as tires go). I mean, give it a couple years and that's what the Accord will be putting down.
Old 12-23-2003, 03:20 AM   #145
SkylineUSA
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to SkylineUSA
Self has a good point, but then again he knows whats up

There are so many variables, as well.

R32 GTR w/351w .020 forged, 8.9:1, PTK T76, Turbosmart 40 BC & 45 WG, Tial 40 BV, AFR 205s 310/245, 228/228 550/550 114 Hydro, 1.7rr, Isky RLs, 4" HKS exhaust, ARC 30x16x4 IC, 8 point cage, C2 gauges, 2 step, C4 3200 stall w/ R Manual & Hurst Ratchet shifter, 17" Panasport G7s, CSU 750 & bonnet, Vic Jr intake, 3.63 gears, Corbeau Carrera seats, Custom wide body, Bomex side skirts and rear 1/4 caps, Tommy Kaira bumper.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:04 AM   #146
RACER D12
AF Enthusiast

Yes Self I did not forget that tq is what makes wheels spin. The SRT motor though makes simular tq and hp numbers.

Steiner and Neutrino ya you can feather clutch reprogram the ECU like you said, but while your doing that the guy in the WRX can be going balls out. Plus then when you take into consideration the the road conditions and what not its just going to cause more problems for the SRT. So IMO WRX is the the better street racer.

Old 12-23-2003, 03:05 PM   #147
Neutrino
Yaya Master

and its a true an AWD car will always win the launch...but you forget one thing....AWD hard launches are murder on your transmission and clutch....why do you think everyone keeps saying that the evo and sti are not drag racers

(\__/)
Old 12-23-2003, 03:23 PM   #148
fatninja19
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to fatninja19
Re: Re: Re: Srt4 Vs Wrx

Quote:
If you read my post again you will see that I said the SRT can make over 300hp. What I was saying though was good luck driving that on the street. Think of what a bitch that would be driving around town and maybe racing here or there.
For daily driving applications, you can use an electronic boost controller to turn down the boost.. you wont be needing 300hp if you're just driving to the grocery store 5 minutes away anyways.

And a high powered FWD doesnt ALWAYS need slicks to go fast when drag racing..... example: Hybrid & DohcCam's CRX.
Old 12-23-2003, 03:30 PM   #149
Steiner
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Yes Self I did not forget that tq is what makes wheels spin. The SRT motor though makes simular tq and hp numbers.

Steiner and Neutrino ya you can feather clutch reprogram the ECU like you said, but while your doing that the guy in the WRX can be going balls out. Plus then when you take into consideration the the road conditions and what not its just going to cause more problems for the SRT. So IMO WRX is the the better street racer.
In theory that makes sense, but in reality the SRT-4 starts pulling on the WRX big time at about 30mph. If you're talking about a street race to 30mph ...well then the WRX will win every time...but so will an AWD Toyota Matrix and an AWD Volvo Cross Country wagon if you drop the clutch as 5k.

I've seen a couple videos of "SRT-4 vs. WRX" races. From a roll the SRT-4 pulls from the 3rd beep of the horn and doesn't stop until the race is over. From a dig the WRX hooks up impressively, but the SRT-4 pulls like a mutha once the driver shifts into 2nd gear.
Old 12-24-2003, 01:48 AM   #150
-The Stig-
On Fire!

Send a message via AIM to -The Stig-
If you guys are questioning driveability of a high powered car of any type. You got to remember it's your right foot that controls the throttle. The car will only go as fast as you want it to.

I learned that when I learned how to ride my motorcycle. It'll only go as fast as I let it.

User Guidelines It's important to read, like the Bible. But unlike the Bible we will strike you down if you jerk off around here.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing