Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-11-2002, 01:41 AM   #61
LjasonL
Some Guy

Send a message via AIM to LjasonL
dont be mad cuz a wagon can outrun your celica! youll be sorry when those groceries fly outta my window and hit your windshield cuz youre behind me.

seriously calm down man. backin me up is fine but dont go off saying stuff like u that cuz if i hadnt given u that remark then one of the domestic owners would have. i may prefer imports, but i can appreciate all forms of autodom, including v8s. maybe i dont like them, but i respect them for their speed and i can appreciate a fellow car enthusiast, import or domestic.

i like celica gts's, they can give me a good run! have u done anything to yours? got any pics? well anyways welcome to af!
Old 03-11-2002, 01:43 AM   #62
LjasonL
Some Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by godsfather
you know this guy is mad.. i got him good:zx11pissed :
nope sorry, didnt get me, i like my wagon, i mean i did have the choice of wagon or sedan, and i got a wagon and all...
Old 03-11-2002, 10:51 AM   #63
fastrThanU
AF Enthusiast

godsfather- you'd better hope i don't see your cocky ass on the road anytime soon, because i will blow your doors completely off. as far as resale value goes, my car has gone way up over the past 3 years that i've owned it. in fact, if i sold it right now, i'd be making money. your top speed is only 158? geez, with the Chevelle, i've had it up to 165 and it was still accelerating very strong(top speed is prob around 180 or so), pulled a mid 11 second quarter, gone 0-60 in 5 seconds flat, laid out 100ft strips of rubber, and can pull the front end off the ground when launching. i guess those V8s really suck then, huh?

what exactly have you done to your motor? specifically to get 11.5:1 CR. what rings are you running, what's your chamber volume, what kind of pistons do u have etc..... i find it hard to believe that someone would go through the effort to run a 11.5:1 motor (with anything past 10:1, can you say race gas?), and only be making 209HP.... and don't waste your time picking a fight with ldelaysionl, he knows his shit as well as i do

you gotta realize that V8s were made for different purposes than modern smaller motors... they were made for going in a straight line as fast as possible with balls-out raw power, while modern motors were designed to go with a car made for handling, and can't handle the weight or torque of a cast iron 8-cyl block

11.67@117
"plaster your ass to the back glass"
.... put yer motor where yer mouth is.....
Old 03-11-2002, 11:10 AM   #64
ImportNut1212
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ImportNut1212
umm, anything past 10.1 needs race gas??? not really, the Civic Type-R's and Integra Type-R's are running 10.1 and 11.1 respectively. (i'm almost sure) and they run on pump gas last time i checked. and the comment about your chevelle going 180.... i have a real hard time believing that, the aerodynamics wouldnt let it go that fast, and if it did, you would move hte wheel a centimeter and be flyin all over the road.....but i mean no disrespect.

i've had this argument hundreds of times at school, and it always seems that the domestic fans are really ignorant and close minded to the whole import scene. i know two guys, one has an 84 chevy el camino SS (real gorgeous car......wait??) and the other has a 99 camaro SS. The camaro is really fast, and the camino thinks its fast. They both say that no matter how many mods on a 1.8l 4cyl. there is it wont be able to beat a v8. and then when i try to explain, they just keep talking, and persist in being ignorant. i told one of them that Vishnu WRX (Sport Compact Car mag.) with about 6 grand thrown in it (new slightly larger turbo, new exhaust, suspension improvements, new downpipe) could beat a vette in 0-60mph and it was better handling. he didnt believe me of course, i even brought in the magazine and he went as far to say it was a misprint, or human error.

i have respect for domestics and 8 cylinders, those are what i orignially liked, and got hooked on. but now i'm an import fan. they are both used for different purposes. a modded v8 is best for straight line acceleration, and a modded import is best for handling.
original tofu crew member #06

my car=95 240sx se w/ s14 sr20det

lUcAs-----
Old 03-11-2002, 11:29 AM   #65
fastrThanU
AF Enthusiast

i'm sorry, the CR was supposed to be 10.5:1. my bad, i forgot to put the .5 in. anyways, it's a matter of physics. simple fact- octane is gasolines resistance to pre-ignition. the higher the octane, the higher the resistance. each grade of gasoline has a certain threshold as far as the highest compression it can tolerate. the fact is that 93 octanes threshold for preignition is at 10.5:1- once it exceeds this, it self detonates. it is a simple fact of engine building. computer controlled knock sensors can help to a point, but ultimately it's a matter of physics. this information is taken from my experience with building motors, and the experience of the people i know.

as far as 180mph as a top speed (no disrespect taken), it is estimated. the fastest i have gone is 165, and it was still pulling very strong, so naturally, i extrapolated and that was about where i ended up. it's probably (more than likely) a bit on the optimistic side, but it's just an approximation. i have no intention of going that fast again, simply because i'm not THAT sick in the head

11.67@117
Old 03-11-2002, 11:34 AM   #66
ImportNut1212
AF Enthusiast

i know you probably know a lot more than me about cars, i know alot, but i dont have alot of first hand experience. anyway, how do you justify the Integra Type-R running since it has 11.1 compression?

lUcAs-----
Old 03-11-2002, 11:47 AM   #67
fastrThanU
AF Enthusiast

this example of the Type R is a really interesting apparent violation of traditional rules. i'm researching it right now because it really has me interested as to how they can do it.

11.67@117
Old 03-11-2002, 11:56 AM   #68
ImportNut1212
AF Enthusiast

could you do me a favor and let me know your findings? its interested me now too.

lUcAs-----
Old 03-11-2002, 12:01 PM   #69
fastrThanU
AF Enthusiast

hmmmm.... i've looked at some stuff adn it seems there are two type r's out there.. one with 11:1 which i found on some UK pages, and one with 10.6:1 which i found on some US pages. i'm also not sure what the octane ratings in the UK convert to over here. but on the apparent US model, with the 10.6:1, it is definetely feasible to make it run on 93 octane pump gas. i'd imagine that since they're running right on the brink of pre-ignition, that they would program the computer system to run slightly rich in terms of the mixture to avoid detonation on the temporary lean condition that occurs during the first stage of hard acceleration, which would be critical in a motor of this type.

if i'm off on anything, let me know, ok?

11.67@117
Old 03-11-2002, 12:07 PM   #70
ImportNut1212
AF Enthusiast

The USDM Type R has 10.6 compression, so that is feasible with the explanations you gave. but yeah, the JDM and Euro Type R's get the 11.1 compression. and like you, i dont know the conversions for octane over there.....but i thikn they might be stricter. dont ask me how i think i know that, but i remember hearing that its stricter over there in japan and europe.

lUcAs-----
Old 03-11-2002, 12:52 PM   #71
CAptynCrunch
AF Enthusiast

Fastr, I totally agree with your post a ways back in reply to mine. You are completely right, there is no chance in hell that a naturally aspirated 4 banger will out run a naturally aspirated v8 on the drag strip. I was just trying to support whoever it was earlier that said because of technology and other toys like turbos then it is possible for smaller displacement cars to have a chance. However, it all really depends on the weight to power ratio. It's generally accepted that anything with at least 1 HP for every 10lbs of car is pretty quick. If you can surpass the 10 to 1 ratio then your starting to get into the respected territory. I've seen naturally aspirated engines, ones that rev very high, like 10,000+ RPM that from a 1.8 can get about 250HP and around 200lbs of torque. Sure thats not much but when these engines can be put into cars with a curb weight of like 1900lbs, then you've got a fairly competitive little car. Sure it's not the same as a well built big block, but still pretty respectable.

Personally i think we should all agree here and now to change the old saying "theres no replacement for displacement" to "there's no replacement for a good power to weight ratio".

So let's end with the arguing, we're all friends here with a common interest. We should be helping each other!

The only thing better than cars is Music... maybe.
Old 03-11-2002, 12:56 PM   #72
NSX-R-SSJ20K
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to NSX-R-SSJ20K
Quote:
Originally posted by fastrThanU
godsfather- you'd better hope i don't see your cocky ass on the road anytime soon, because i will blow your doors completely off. as far as resale value goes, my car has gone way up over the past 3 years that i've owned it. in fact, if i sold it right now, i'd be making money. your top speed is only 158? geez, with the Chevelle, i've had it up to 165 and it was still accelerating very strong(top speed is prob around 180 or so), pulled a mid 11 second quarter, gone 0-60 in 5 seconds flat, laid out 100ft strips of rubber, and can pull the front end off the ground when launching. i guess those V8s really suck then, huh?

what exactly have you done to your motor? specifically to get 11.5:1 CR. what rings are you running, what's your chamber volume, what kind of pistons do u have etc..... i find it hard to believe that someone would go through the effort to run a 11.5:1 motor (with anything past 10:1, can you say race gas?), and only be making 209HP.... and don't waste your time picking a fight with ldelaysionl, he knows his shit as well as i do

you gotta realize that V8s were made for different purposes than modern smaller motors... they were made for going in a straight line as fast as possible with balls-out raw power, while modern motors were designed to go with a car made for handling, and can't handle the weight or torque of a cast iron 8-cyl block
is your car really solid and all the bits re welded cuz i'm scarred getting past 100mph
Old 03-11-2002, 02:04 PM   #73
LjasonL
Some Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by ImportNut1212
and the comment about your chevelle going 180.... i have a real hard time believing that, the aerodynamics wouldnt let it go that fast, and if it did, you would move hte wheel a centimeter and be flyin all over the road.....but i mean no disrespect.
he said it COULD go 180, he didnt say anybody is crazy enough to WANT to go 180 in it.
Old 03-11-2002, 04:00 PM   #74
CAptynCrunch
AF Enthusiast

very true I've got absolutely no problems with doing 150 in a 91 protege, but i think to make the jump up another 30 i'd want to ahve the suspnsion checked first. Now a 60's muscle car, thats a different story, like i said, those things weren't exactly made for handling.

The only thing better than cars is Music... maybe.
Old 03-11-2002, 07:07 PM   #75
fastrThanU
AF Enthusiast

the Chevelle was completely rebuilt about 2 years ago from the frame on up, but it still gets pretty hairy after 150 even though the shocks and springs are stiffer

11.67@117

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing