Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-10-2002, 12:28 PM   #46
BigBlock454
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to BigBlock454
Quote:
Originally posted by 90notch
This is real easy.

No replacement for displacement.
HP sells cars, torque wins races.

If any of you "import" guys ever drove a built v8 car, you'd sell that slow shit and join the big boys real fast.
This is so true, the big V8 of true American muscle will always be able to outdo ANY 4 or 6 cylinder on the planet as long as their is enough intelligence and money thrown in...
Old 03-10-2002, 01:24 PM   #47
AlexB
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to AlexB
Haha it's ok man. Happens...
K&N Filtercharger
Hurst Shifter
Old 03-10-2002, 01:34 PM   #48
NSX-R-SSJ20K
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to NSX-R-SSJ20K
Quote:
Originally posted by BigBlock454

This is so true, the big V8 of true American muscle will always be able to outdo ANY 4 or 6 cylinder on the planet as long as their is enough intelligence and money thrown in...
any four cylinder? ey i don't think you have written that correctly

as Top Secret ported an MR2 enigne into a Supra and gave it a huge turbo 820hp

and their Silvia is 800hp = 4 cylinder

and the no replacement for displacement is bullshit

turbos can boost the power phenominally when it comes to that sort of thing so don't talk out of your ass

and why on earth do you make me do this 6 cylinders ? are you referring to skylines per chance ? i think you're a moron don't count cars like this out just because you're scarred of these vehicles ?
http://www.exvitermini.com

Old 03-10-2002, 03:36 PM   #49
CAptynCrunch
AF Enthusiast

Ok, this is getting out of hand.

Ok, so big block v8's are more powerful then smaller 4 bangers, who gaives a damn? because of things like turbos and other things YES a 4 cylinder will compete in drag races, it will keep up with any other domestic big block, which is a damn admirable feat considering the domestics are designed for drag racing and imports aren't.

I mean if you ever goto to Japan, the place where these cars are designed and made, you will never EVER see anyone drag racing in them. They use them for STREET racing, races that actually involve turning and require your car to handle well. Would you want to try and go down a twisting moutain pass at 100 mph in a 3-4000lbs 600ft-lbs of torque domestic that starts to body roll when you take a sharp turn at 70mph? I sure as hell wouldn't.

I'm currently trying to decide on a first car, if i was actually interested in anyway in drag racing(no offense, i jsut don't see that fun of driving in a straight line for a couple of seconds) then i would find myself a nice mid to late 60's vette and spend a summer building it up, spending probably no more then like $5-10,000 on extras before getting a car that will rape all but the fastest of opponents on the drag strip. However i don't want to drag race, i want a car that handles well and can drift around a turn without rolling.

Thats why I'm looking at early 90's Rx-7's, MR2's, and if i might be so lucky as to have the guy out by the mall sell it to me, possibly a corolla sprinter.

Sure it costs a hell of a lot more to make a good import drag car, it's because they're not designed for drag racing, they're designed for cornering and handling. I mean you buy yourself a POS civic and it'll cost ya probably $30,000 to make it run like a 10 sec quarter, quite possibly a lot more then that actually. However, spend about 5 or 6 grand pumping it's power up to about 200+ HP then spend a couple of grand on some suspension upgrades and you've got yourself a great handling car.

Like the old saying goes, Money equals speed. Since most people don't have the money to blow on building up a 9 sec. civic, then if you want to drag race, buy something that's practical and designed for it, an old vette is a great choice. If you want to buy an import, then don't waste money and the car on something as dumb as drag racing with it, use it for what it was designed for, HANDLING. Learn to really drive, not just hold the steering wheel straight and let the automatic take care of the rest, practice cornering and actually learn what you car is made for.

Well, i'm done. Hope i didn't offend anyone. Oh yeah, and just to cause more arguing, um...i mean discussion...isn't the current drag champion a 4-banger?(an AWD Talon if i'm not mistaken).

The only thing better than cars is Music... maybe.
Old 03-10-2002, 03:40 PM   #50
NSX-R-SSJ20K
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to NSX-R-SSJ20K
Quote:
Originally posted by CAptynCrunch
Ok, this is getting out of hand.

Ok, so big block v8's are more powerful then smaller 4 bangers, who gaives a damn? because of things like turbos and other things YES a 4 cylinder will compete in drag races, it will keep up with any other domestic big block, which is a damn admirable feat considering the domestics are designed for drag racing and imports aren't.

I mean if you ever goto to Japan, the place where these cars are designed and made, you will never EVER see anyone drag racing in them. They use them for STREET racing, races that actually involve turning and require your car to handle well. Would you want to try and go down a twisting moutain pass at 100 mph in a 3-4000lbs 600ft-lbs of torque domestic that starts to body roll when you take a sharp turn at 70mph? I sure as hell wouldn't.

I'm currently trying to decide on a first car, if i was actually interested in anyway in drag racing(no offense, i jsut don't see that fun of driving in a straight line for a couple of seconds) then i would find myself a nice mid to late 60's vette and spend a summer building it up, spending probably no more then like $5-10,000 on extras before getting a car that will rape all but the fastest of opponents on the drag strip. However i don't want to drag race, i want a car that handles well and can drift around a turn without rolling.

Thats why I'm looking at early 90's Rx-7's, MR2's, and if i might be so lucky as to have the guy out by the mall sell it to me, possibly a corolla sprinter.

Sure it costs a hell of a lot more to make a good import drag car, it's because they're not designed for drag racing, they're designed for cornering and handling. I mean you buy yourself a POS civic and it'll cost ya probably $30,000 to make it run like a 10 sec quarter, quite possibly a lot more then that actually. However, spend about 5 or 6 grand pumping it's power up to about 200+ HP then spend a couple of grand on some suspension upgrades and you've got yourself a great handling car.

Like the old saying goes, Money equals speed. Since most people don't have the money to blow on building up a 9 sec. civic, then if you want to drag race, buy something that's practical and designed for it, an old vette is a great choice. If you want to buy an import, then don't waste money and the car on something as dumb as drag racing with it, use it for what it was designed for, HANDLING. Learn to really drive, not just hold the steering wheel straight and let the automatic take care of the rest, practice cornering and actually learn what you car is made for.

Well, i'm done. Hope i didn't offend anyone. Oh yeah, and just to cause more arguing, um...i mean discussion...isn't the current drag champion a 4-banger?(an AWD Talon if i'm not mistaken).

this guy knows his shit
Old 03-10-2002, 08:16 PM   #51
fastrThanU
AF Enthusiast

a 4-cyl can comete with a fully built big block on the dragstrip? are you on crack?

find me a car DOCUMENTED ON THE INTERNET THAT I CAN SEE that can reliably run over 200 passes down the 1/4 in at least the 7's naturally aspirated (that means no turbos, pal). my friends family drag races compeitively (their site is www.siracing.com ) and their new top dog car is a 2000 Camaro with a 565ci big block putting out 1,032 HP and 816 lb/ft. it runs 7's with out the NOS Pro Fogger system that they recently hooked up to put it into the mid 6's. show me a drag racing 4-cyl that can run 7's without forced induction, and then i will believe that they are equals with the almighty Chevy big block. they also have a '67 Camaro, and a recently sold '67 Nova that all ran well into the 9's without power adders. Mike is also currently building a top fuel dragster as we speak.... and as far as streetable big blocks go, i cruise every friday night in the summer with a '70 Chevelle that runs mid 9's off of a 468BB, a '63 Nova that runs low 10's off a small block 350, and a '69 Dart that runs 10's off a small block 350. keep in mind that these are all cars that i personally know. i don't personally know a single 4 or 6 cyl that has broken past mid 13's on the quarter mile.

hell, can any of your 4-bangers run faster than my 11-sec pass on the 1/4?

i'm not saying that 4's are worse than big blocks, it's just that on the strip, they can't compete.

11.67@117
"plaster your ass to the back glass"
.... put yer motor where yer mouth is.....
Old 03-10-2002, 08:20 PM   #52
fastrThanU
AF Enthusiast

i will agree with captyncrunch on the fact that bumping an imp. up to 200 hp, and modding the suspension is the way to go... it'll burn up pretty much any big block you can throw at it as long as there aren't any long straights betweent the turns...

11.67@117
"plaster your ass to the back glass"
.... put yer motor where yer mouth is.....
Old 03-10-2002, 10:44 PM   #53
LjasonL
Some Guy

Send a message via AIM to LjasonL
Quote:
Originally posted by 90notch
This is real easy.

No replacement for displacement.
HP sells cars, torque wins races.

If any of you "import" guys ever drove a built v8 car, you'd sell that slow shit and join the big boys real fast.
"hp sells cars, torque wins races"??? wtf???

so my dads turbo deisel f-250 4x4 with 185hp and 300something lb-ft of torque will kick a lot of cars asses then huh? and those little mercedes deisel cars with 120hp and 260lb-ft of torque will waste a lot of cars too huh? man my car with 170lb-ft of torque will waste both of those really badly...

oh and yeah ive driven my cousins 68 camaro with a 454 bored .030 over, yeah his car runs 9.7's through the 1000ft and will lay 80 ft black marks with both tires on 9 inch mickey thompson slicks, but guess what, i may like his car but im sure as hell not gonna buy one. get on ANY type of corners or ANY type of loose surface and my STOCK car will waste his. if u ever tried to drive one of your big blocks on a road course maybe youd understand why people like imports... hmm my STOCK station wagon beat a 2001 camaro ss by over 3 seconds at the last autocross i went to, guess torque didnt win that race did it?
Old 03-10-2002, 10:56 PM   #54
LjasonL
Some Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by AlexB
Also, if you're having trouble launching something with a lot of torque, it's the driver's fault not the car's. That's stupid to say that it's the car's fault that the driver cant handle the power.

Stop the flaming and go make your San Francisco treat.
well no shit it would be the drivers fault but what matters is whether or not there is a problem, not whose fault it is. the perfect launch can only be executed by a perfect driver, but nobody, and i mean nobody, is a perfect driver. the fact is its easier to launch something with less torque, and the easier it is to launch something, the easier it is to get (close to) a perfect launch.
Old 03-10-2002, 11:00 PM   #55
LjasonL
Some Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by AlexB
[BAll little engines can do is rev like a mofo that's why you get those hp figures.

What you want is torque at high RPM's. [/b]
hmm im glad to hear that cuz my little engine makes MORE torque than it does horsepower. soooooo i guess u didnt really prove anything with that one, except that u dont know anything about small displacement engines.
Old 03-11-2002, 01:10 AM   #56
godsfather
AF Newbie

V8's are wastes of money...

:finger: Heres why..... my car.. a 2001 toyota celica gts 1.8 liter 4 cyl. makes 209 hp and 159 ft. lbs. of torque and compression isnt a big problem either.. it does 11.5:1 compression non turbo by the way as for mods k&n filter and a "fart muffler" ( which gives me 15 lbs of torque and 19 hp). oh and a low top speed of 158.7mph in under 45 seconds. you wont catch me and if you want to see my car better not blink when i blow by your Camaro/Rustang or whatever waste of gas low resale value P.O.S. v8 your driving.:finger: smoke one for me:bandit:

www.nextcelica.org
Old 03-11-2002, 01:20 AM   #57
LjasonL
Some Guy

a stock camaro ss will waste a stock celica gts so dont get too cocky. so will a mustang cobra. hell a regular z28 would probably do the job.
Old 03-11-2002, 01:24 AM   #58
godsfather
AF Newbie

:apoke: wtf i was backing you up and yeah i am right

so ..... fuck you and the beauty of all wheel drive
Old 03-11-2002, 01:29 AM   #59
godsfather
AF Newbie

oh and that sucks

your sportin a wagon ... thats fast ... dont spill the grocerys or let the kids fly out the window of your fast station wagon
Old 03-11-2002, 01:38 AM   #60
godsfather
AF Newbie

:greenchai : lol i fuckin got you sorry dude that was below the belt with the wagon thing when your done "whoopin" my ass will you take me to the store so i can get a few things .. cause my celicas not really a good grocery getter ..... thanks Jc

To everyone else reading this ... you know this guy is mad.. i got him good:zx11pissed :

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing