Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
View Poll Results: What pisses you off about the Import Scene?
Imports with more stickers that horsepower? 32 52.46%
Domestic cars trying too hard to be Imports? 3 4.92%
The scene sometimes being called the "asian scene"? 8 13.11%
The bull we get from cops for an after market catback on our gas sippin car as a 5mpg muscle car roars by? 18 29.51%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-07-2002, 02:11 PM   #136
NB8CT
Banned

What does it matter what grade of gas you use?? I mean within reason, no alchohol or anything but really, you cant say, "yea well I only have 93 octane in my car and you have 101" after you loose a race, who is gonna know but you??
Old 01-08-2002, 12:49 AM   #137
LS1CamaroZ28
AF Newbie

No, no no! What I mean is that you can't roll up to your local gas station and fill it up with 100+ octane gas!!! You can only do that at the track! Therefore, none of these Supras make 1000+ HP on the STREETS. Only when you make some passes at the track (which is fine). The whole point is you can do that on a V8 without jacking the boost to ungodly levels.
Old 01-08-2002, 01:15 AM   #138
LjasonL
Some Guy

Send a message via AIM to LjasonL
a supra or other import can make that much power on pump gas it must just be tuned right. all 4cycle engines work the same, regardless of country of origin. if the engine is strong enough, and tuned right, it can make 1000 hp on pump gas, be it 4-6-8-10-... cylinders
Old 01-08-2002, 02:36 AM   #139
LS1CamaroZ28
AF Newbie

I don't know about that. Those three Supras all cost over $55,000 and had some of the best performance parts on them, and they can only make that 1000 HP on high boost, therefore requiring race gas. That's the only way you can really do it on a four or six banger...it's easier to make horsepower once you have bigger displacement 8's or 10's.
Old 01-08-2002, 09:59 AM   #140
NB8CT
Banned

Well you could just use an octane booster from the local car shop, but i do see your point LS1. And you speak of boost like its a bad thing, it is the replacment for displacment. As long as you can boost up to like 40psi on a turbo bigger than your head, why not, you can always turn it down, and also on the up side of inline 6 and 4's the gas mileage is better than any v8 or 10.
Old 01-08-2002, 11:05 AM   #141
Andre the Giant
AF Newbie

What pisses me off about the import scene?

I'm at a stoplight in the '93 Talon TSi AWD A/T. (It needs a tuneup, the fuel injectors are gummed up, it runs rough, accelerates poorly, etc.) A nice looking Honda Civic pulls up along side. No stickers, no yellow, the only rice mods it has is the clear turn signal lenses and the coffee can tailpipe. I wasn't even thinking of racing when the light turned green. The Civic launches with a chirp, he's got the thing floored. He's got the drop on me by a half a second. I give the Talon about 3/4 of the gas pedal and fly by the moron. When I reached 50mph & let off the accelerator, I was a full car length ahead of this guy. He then goes shooting buy, still floored, his engine screaming in protest.

So I guess according to you ricers I could call that a "Civic kill"? It's nice to chalk up a kill without even trying... and with a car that needs a serious tuneup... has no modifications, and after giving the Civic a great head start.

Ricers are ignorant!

If he was driving a Mustang, Camero, 300ZX, Modified Miata, tricked out Plymouth, Vette, Viper, RX-7, NSX, Grand National, Eclipse GST, Chevy Nova, whatever... I would have been eating dust. But that's ok... like I said, I didn't really want to race.
Old 01-08-2002, 11:39 AM   #142
LS1CamaroZ28
AF Newbie

I've tried that octane booster...first off, you'd need like 30 to raise your octane by like...4 points in a full tank...it's not very good stuff

But I don't mean boost is a bad thing at all. Like I said, I like those Supras a lot. The only thing I meant is, you can make a 1000 HP naturally asipirated big block V8 and still have room for forced induction.
Old 01-08-2002, 12:39 PM   #143
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Quote:
Originally posted by Andre the Giant
What pisses me off about the import scene?

I'm at a stoplight in the '93 Talon TSi AWD A/T. (It needs a tuneup, the fuel injectors are gummed up, it runs rough, accelerates poorly, etc.) A nice looking Honda Civic pulls up along side. No stickers, no yellow, the only rice mods it has is the clear turn signal lenses and the coffee can tailpipe. I wasn't even thinking of racing when the light turned green. The Civic launches with a chirp, he's got the thing floored. He's got the drop on me by a half a second. I give the Talon about 3/4 of the gas pedal and fly by the moron. When I reached 50mph & let off the accelerator, I was a full car length ahead of this guy. He then goes shooting buy, still floored, his engine screaming in protest.

So I guess according to you ricers I could call that a "Civic kill"? It's nice to chalk up a kill without even trying... and with a car that needs a serious tuneup... has no modifications, and after giving the Civic a great head start.

Ricers are ignorant!

If he was driving a Mustang, Camero, 300ZX, Modified Miata, tricked out Plymouth, Vette, Viper, RX-7, NSX, Grand National, Eclipse GST, Chevy Nova, whatever... I would have been eating dust. But that's ok... like I said, I didn't really want to race.
Haha, you too. I once beat a Civic with a slipping clutch. I would have to agree completely with your statement.
Old 01-08-2002, 12:41 PM   #144
RiceRocket
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Andre the Giant
So I guess according to you ricers I could call that a "Civic kill"...
that is so sad

AF TOFU CREW MEMBER #03 - First Rule of Tofu Crew is You don't talk about the Tofu Crew!
Old 01-08-2002, 01:42 PM   #145
fastrThanU
AF Enthusiast

Lightbulb

regarding your discussion about having 1000 HP street cars, a guy with whom i cruise with every sat. in the summer, runs a 950 HP '70 Chevelle SS on the street. completely street legal (though pushed to the limit in terms of exhaust decibels!) it runs on 94 octane Sunoco pump gas with no additives. to get that kind of power on the street in a street legal car, you need the cubic displacement that only a domestic V8 can provide. here's how he did it-

Dart or Merlin (can't remember which) Chevy big block bored to 560ci, 10.5:1 forged flat top pistons, CNC ported and polished Dart heads, Dart single plane port-matched single plane race intake, 1,090cfm King Demon race carb, Lunati Racer crank, Lunati Pro Mod connecting rods, Comp cams 286 degree Super Street cam, Crane roller lifters, chromeoly rods, Harland Sharp roller race rockers, and a NOS Fogger adjusted to add 250HP. for the exhaust, he runs Hooker headers with collector style mufflers to two 3" pipes that exit on either side of the car in front of the rear tires. it took him about 9 years to build the car and motor, and to get all the money to put into it. it's one scary machine, and makes my car look like a friggin cream puff. I've only been around him for the past summer and half of the one before (he finished the car halfway through that summer, and i met him one of the first times he brought it out) with the sheetmetal inner door panels, sheetmetal panel where the rear seats used to be, full roll cage, and kill switch on the rear bumper, it's hilarious to see the little inspection sticker stuck on the corner of his windshield!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachment 3.jpg (46.7 KB, 122 views)

11.67@117
"plaster your ass to the back glass"
.... put yer motor where yer mouth is.....
Old 01-08-2002, 07:23 PM   #146
LjasonL
Some Guy

personally id rather have my high hp at a high boost level, then i could turn it down and retain my drivability and gas milage for cruising. plus with the supras, the variable cam could be computer controlled, cruise on the stock cam and itll idle smooth and all, hit a few buttons and u got the non-idling race cam going, i just wanna challenge someone and as soon as they agree change from a nice smooth purr to the glug glug glug of the big lobe cam, thatd be fun to watch their face...
Old 01-08-2002, 07:30 PM   #147
LjasonL
Some Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by fastrThanU
Dart or Merlin (can't remember which) Chevy big block bored to 560ci, 10.5:1 forged flat top pistons, CNC ported and polished Dart heads, Dart single plane port-matched single plane race intake, 1,090cfm King Demon race carb, Lunati Racer crank, Lunati Pro Mod connecting rods, Comp cams 286 degree Super Street cam, Crane roller lifters, chromeoly rods, Harland Sharp roller race rockers, and a NOS Fogger adjusted to add 250HP. for the exhaust, he runs Hooker headers with collector style mufflers to two 3" pipes that exit on either side of the car in front of the rear tires. it took him about 9 years to build the car and motor, and to get all the money to put into it. it's one scary machine, and makes my car look like a friggin cream puff. I've only been around him for the past summer and half of the one before (he finished the car halfway through that summer, and i met him one of the first times he brought it out) with the sheetmetal inner door panels, sheetmetal panel where the rear seats used to be, full roll cage, and kill switch on the rear bumper, it's hilarious to see the little inspection sticker stuck on the corner of his windshield!!
in my opinion, this isnt much of a street car. sure its street legal and runs on pump gas, but to me a street car has a full interior and doesnt require u to fill that pump gas every 10 minutes, at least 14-15mpg is a must! but that sounds like a bad machine though, and would be fun as hell to drive around, at least if it didnt scare me to death! has anyone here seen the turbo imports supra owned by a guy named walser? full interior no weight reduction at all, still has a/c, targa top, stock transmission, is his daily driver, he ran a 9.54 on street tires his second time at the strip , 12 hours after dropping his daughter off at school in it. oh and other than exhaust wheels and a small front lip, looks stock. thats what i call a street car!
Old 01-08-2002, 09:33 PM   #148
Gonthrax
Skyline Guy

Send a message via AIM to Gonthrax
Quote:
Originally posted by LS1CamaroZ28
No, no no! What I mean is that you can't roll up to your local gas station and fill it up with 100+ octane gas!!! You can only do that at the track! Therefore, none of these Supras make 1000+ HP on the STREETS. Only when you make some passes at the track (which is fine). The whole point is you can do that on a V8 without jacking the boost to ungodly levels.
There is a JR Foods quick stop here in BG that has a 110 RON gas pump, you have to go inside and get a key, its like $2.75/gal

As far as the whole "You need a high displacement V8 to get in the 1000hp range and still run on pump gas. You could never do that with your damn turbochargers and whatnot" arguement... All I have to say is this. It can be done, with either kind of car, many many people have done it. It is easier, and less expensive (IMHO) to do it to a turbo car, thats my 2 cents.
Member of AF's Slide Squad (Member #04)

Quote:
Originally posted by taranaki
Postcounts - Phoey....it's not how often you speak,it's whether you actually say anything that matters.

Neishlin Motors
Soon to be my best friend
Old 01-08-2002, 11:05 PM   #149
fastrThanU
AF Enthusiast

first, keep in mind that i'm not comparing domestic V8s to 4 bangers. it is simply a comprison of large displacement to smaller displacement- whether that be domestic, import or whatever. my previous example was just an example in which i have had first hand experience, and it just happened to be a V8, because most high displacement motors are domestic 8 cyls. aside from all that crap....... i never said you couldn't do it with turbochargers. but to do it with a turbo on pump gas, you would need to seriously bump up the boost, and without serious (and very expensive) mods to the smaller displacement motor, it would only be a matter of time before you rip the average small displacement motor to shreads, not to mention multiplying that risk because of the use of pump gas, and it's higher likelyhood of detonation due to the extreme pressure levels inside the combustion chamber caused by the dramatically increased boost that you would have to run from the get-go. it would be much easier to get 1,000 horsepower on pump gas from a large displacement motor simply because due to the increased airflow capacity in and out of the larger combustion chambers because of a larger bore and stroke. look at it this way- if you take a cylinder from a smaller motor, and one from a large displacament motor, filled it with an intake charge of the same air to fuel ratio at the same atmospheric pressure, and fired both cylinders, the larger displacement would make more power because you can fit more of the volatile air/fuel mixture in it. to make equal power in both cylinders, a lesser atmospheric pressure would be used in the bigger cylinder to compensate for more atomized fuel/air mixture in the chamber, thus resulting in less engine strain, longer life, and thus a more streetable engine purely in those terms ( of course you can take gas mileage into the equation, but personally i'd rather be filling the tank than hoisting out and putting in a new motor)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachment 3.jpg (46.7 KB, 102 views)

11.67@117
"plaster your ass to the back glass"
.... put yer motor where yer mouth is.....
Old 01-08-2002, 11:32 PM   #150
Gonthrax
Skyline Guy

Send a message via AIM to Gonthrax
yea, I guess you have a good point Faster. I guess I'm just partial to imports. Also, I'd like to be driving somthing with a good AWD system if I was pushin 1000hp, and to my knowladge, not many domestics have that.
btw, I love your car, its very clean.
Member of AF's Slide Squad (Member #04)

Quote:
Originally posted by taranaki
Postcounts - Phoey....it's not how often you speak,it's whether you actually say anything that matters.

Neishlin Motors
Soon to be my best friend