Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > How-To's and Walk-Through's
How-To's and Walk-Through's Here's where we show you how it's done!
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 08:33 PM   #1
dingaling15
AF Newbie

Trying to learn engines

I know how to switch spark plugs and wires, and I know about fuses and how to change them out. I know that I have a V-tec engine in my Civic, but I don't know much else about engines.. does anyone have a minute to give me a rundown on how engines work? I'm just looking for some insight.

Thanks to all who waste their time on me
dingaling15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:59 AM   #2
ZenRookie
AF Newbie

Re: Trying to learn engines

not quite sure what your getting at you mean the process of how the engine starts and what not O.o

Or you want to learn how everything works period if so i would say goto school for it.

anyways you turn the key the battery then kicks on the fuel pump on an sends power to the disturb turn the key to start and then the starter turns the engine starting the car.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfTX88Sv4I8

not the full process but its the basics lol
i would start learning about older engines first if i was you there more simple then todays engines but after a while you'll see its all pretty easy to understand. start with a chevy 350 engine and work your way to computer controlled engines used in todays cars. You could probably get a 350 for about 250 bucks or so from the junk yard. Slowly work on it and takes things apart only a few special tools you might need for it.

Valve Spring compressor
bearing puller
gear puller or steering wheel puller for the harmonic balancer

hm yea thats all i can think ya would need at the moment
just have fun and experiment if you have the money to blow lol
remember its only money
ZenRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:17 PM   #3
djblancett
AF Newbie

Re: Trying to learn engines

This may sound like a silly reply, but I'd recommend dismantling an old lawnmower engine. You'll get a good understanding of the mechanical process without getting buried under multiple cylinders. all four-stroke engines have the same operating principle, but carburetion as opposed to fuel injection changes a few things, and crank position sensors as opposed to distributors also complicates things.
Once you understand the basic operating principle, the rest is easy. Multiple cylinders can be arranged in-line (4cyl, 5cyl, 6cyl,etc) V configuration (4-6-8-10-12 cylinder engines, always even numbers) and horizontally opposed (VW, Porsche etc)
Air cooled? liquid cooled?

That's why I'd recommend an old Briggs and Stratton to cut your teeth on. Go with a junker because you might want to mow the lawn with that new lawnmower, and the reassembly might not go well the first time you do it.
djblancett is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
beginner , civic , engines , honda
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > How-To's and Walk-Through's