Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 11:52 AM   #1
it_wasnt_me
AF Newbie

Angry '96 Dodge AC Won't Charge

I have a 1996 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel. The AC has not worked since I bought the truck, I was told it needed a new compressor. The clutch on the old compressor was not engaging at all, so I bought a remanufactured compressor from AutoZone. Now it will not take any freon. I added ester oil and it took some of that, but it will not take any freon at all. I tried to add it at the low pressure point and at the high one, but it will still not take any freon. The AC blows hot air, it is not cool at all. I'm very frustrated as the temps in the daytime are 100 degrees and it's a little warm to drive around with the windows down. I'm not sure what else to look at or try changing- any ideas? Thanks!!!
it_wasnt_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:47 PM   #2
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Re: '96 Dodge AC Won't Charge

I woulds suggest you install a new filter dryer. Then vacuum the system out.
Then I usually jump out the low pressure switch on the accumulator dryer.
I charge through the low pressure connection on or around the accumulator.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 04:13 PM   #3
Hungrycat7
AF Enthusiast

You could also put some dye in the lines and check for any leaks while you are fiddling around in there.
Hungrycat7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:56 PM   #4
reekor
AF Enthusiast

Seek the help of a good A/C shop before this repair ends up costing you a lot more as this repair needs more then you are aware of. Since the old compressor never ran when you bought the truck, you wouldn’t know if the old one puked its guys out sending crap into your A/C system. When you change a compressor you must change the drier, if not it voids your warranty on the new one. Since there could be crap in your A/C system that can plug up the orifice tube and damage the new compressor, most of this stuff ends up in the drier. You should never install a dry compressor, oil should be added to the compressor before install. The system should be taken apart and flushed before changing anything. As the other poster stated you must vacuum the system once it has been opened up. This removes air and moister from the system. Moister will crystallize on the orifice and your a/c will not blow as cold as it should, along with the fact that a mix of 134a and moister turns into hydrochloric acid which eats the inside of your a/c hoses sending black sludge throughout your system. This stuff cannot be flushed out and requires replacement of the whole system. This is called Black Death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by it_wasnt_me
I have a 1996 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel. The AC has not worked since I bought the truck, I was told it needed a new compressor. The clutch on the old compressor was not engaging at all, so I bought a remanufactured compressor from AutoZone. Now it will not take any freon. I added ester oil and it took some of that, but it will not take any freon at all. I tried to add it at the low pressure point and at the high one, but it will still not take any freon. The AC blows hot air, it is not cool at all. I'm very frustrated as the temps in the daytime are 100 degrees and it's a little warm to drive around with the windows down. I'm not sure what else to look at or try changing- any ideas? Thanks!!!

His, 96 Limited, 5.2 Magnum, Magnaflow CatBack System, HID Head & Fog Lamps, 242 T-case swapped , Rear Trac-Loc. Chrome grill added to match the wheels.

Hers, 96 Limited I6, 242 T-case, HID Head & Fog Lamps.
reekor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:48 AM   #5
rockwood84
AF Enthusiast

the needle valve could be bent on or in the low side fill valve it turns out just like a tire needle valve its a different color .so if you replace it get the correct color
rockwood84 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10