Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 07:48 PM   #1
ceevester
AF Newbie

'97 Dodge Cummins Fuel Shutoff Solenoid problem

I have a '97 Dodge truck with a 5.9 Cummins diesel. It doesn't start like it should because the fuel shutoff solenoid doesn't always open the fuel shutoff valve to the fuel pump when the key is turned to start. If I "jump" the contacts on the shutoff solenoid directly from the battery, it works fine. I am not sure what else to check. Could this be the result of a bad ignition switch not letting full power go to the shutoff solenoid while cranking the engine?

Or, the book says there is a "fuel shutoff solenoid relay" somewhere in the circuit, which could be a problem. Does anyone know where this relay is located?

With the key turned "on", I can manually move the shutoff solenoid, then crank the engine and it will start.

Anyone got any ideas of what I can try next?
ceevester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 03:47 PM   #2
Chris Stewart
AF - Advisor

Re: '97 Dodge Cummins Fuel Shutoff Solenoid problem

Is the solenoid getting 12 volts with the keyswitch on? I stick a small needle or safety pin through the wire insulation then connect a voltmeter or DVOM to check for voltage on my stuff.

"Cornbread Red", 2001 Dodge 2500,4X4,HO Cummins Diesel,QC,SWB,6spd.,Banks boost&pyro,US Gage fuel press.,Edge Drag Comp,4"exh.,cowl hood, bhaf, black Holley pump, 140gph...13psi WOT, Vulcan Big Line, kevlar/ceramic single disc clutch, cheapo fuel cooler, 8x.010" vco injector nozzles, Cat turbo 62-65-.70A/R, 497hp 1089 tq 8/25/14

Time to turn so's you don't burn.
Chris Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 09:56 PM   #3
J-Mech
AF Newbie

This is a notorous problem. Replce the solenoid. Its weak.
J-Mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 05:46 PM   #4
funcruise
AF Newbie

Before you replace the unit to the tune of $150.00 or so, take it out [ very easy, two bolts and a pin below] and clean it and check the rubber boot around the shaft. The rubber gets torn sometimes and lets dirt and crud in . Oh yes , unhook the wires when removing it. Easy job and could save you a bit of money. The selonoid that controls it is on the firewall. When the ignition switch is turned to start there is 12v to the seloniod and when it is on run it is cut back to 8v or so...............
94 ctd 2500, bhaf,4in exhaust, kat missing, 2wd, #10 plate with boost elbow, egt,boost and tranny temp gauges by Hewitt on pillar, gn hitch, and a few more things..
funcruise is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10