Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 10:31 PM   #1
Chief98
AF Newbie

Question '85 Ram 150 4x4 problem

I use this truck mainly as a farm truck, and lately I've been getting stuck in fields and such. It's an automatic, with the 4-wheel drive gearshift on the floor. It goes from 2H-4H-4L. Going to 4H is smooth, but when you try to go to 4L, it feels like it's still trying to engage while running. Anyway, to the problem at hand, when I go to 4H, the real wheels lock, or at least theres a posi-track thing where both turn if one is spinning. But the front is not engaging. I looked underneath and the shaft going into the front differential is turning, but the ones going to the wheels are not. I don't know if something needs to be locked manually, but on the front wheels, threre is a tube with a aluminum cap on it coming out of the middle of the wheel. Does that have anything to do with locking the front tires? Any help would be appreciated and I may not have named the parts correctly above, but I gave it a shot.
Chief98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 10:48 PM   #2
bigkane01
AF Newbie

I'm not completely sure, but I think your Ram has the automatic locking hubs, from your description. There's a chance that one of your auto hubs are bad and it's not locking to engage the four wheel drive. Hope this helps.
bigkane01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 10:52 PM   #3
bigkane01
AF Newbie

Hey I was gonna ask if you were a Chiefs fan? Just wondering because of the nick.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:33 AM   #4
Chief98
AF Newbie

Is there a simple way to troubleshoot the problem? Could the front diff be low on oil, or is the whole thing shot? I'd like to at least figure out what the problem is and decide just how much I need 4x4. And if I decide not to fix the front, would tire chains on the back tires make much of a difference? Again, any help is appreciated.

Not a Kansas City fan, but a high school handle that stuck!
Old 03-14-2005, 01:37 AM   #5
bigkane01
AF Newbie

I'm not really sure if that's your problem. I had a friend that had a 1977 Ramcharger that had the auto lockers and his went bad and caused the 4wd not to work. I think the lockers are fairly inexpensive at any parts store like Autozone or something. I also don't think they're that difficult to change, but then again I've never changed any. As far as chains go I'd much rather have the 4wd working.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:41 PM   #6
Chief98
AF Newbie

Thumbs up

thanks, I'll give that a try

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10