Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Yukon
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 08:49 PM   #1
taxman9
AF Regular

2007 Yukon Service Stabilitrack Traction Control and CEL

Hello - I recently purchased a 2007 Yukon which is just about to hit 100k miles. It has the 5.3 (non Flexfuel) engine. Ever since week one I've been having issues the the Service Stabilitrack /Traction Control Off warning light coming on and off as well as some sporadic CEL for some richness on ODB codes and can't figure it out but have been able to figure some thing sout by constantly analyzing the situation on when these things go off. I also just got an ODBII reader that I paired up with a Torque app on my cell phone to get some additional data tracking to figure this bugger out as I've scoured this site and the internet and can't find anything.

So here is some history
11/12 - Bought the vehicle with no history of issues and running well.
12/12 - first instance of Service Stabilitrak/Traction Control Off 3 chime warning lights while decelerating on an off ramp from expressway after driving for an hour with no issues. When accelerating after stopping there is a hard shift from 1st to 2nd gear and then the warning lights go off and everyting was back to normal. This issue happened sporadically from that point on (once or twice a week - this is driven daily).
12/12 - I installed a K&A air intake system. No issues for 2 weeks.
12/12 - Issues started back up and I took the vehicle back to the dealer and the warning wasn't on so they charged us $90 and we were on our way with thinking it was resolved. They couldn't find any error codes as from my understanding this Svc Stabilitrack warning combo doesn't hold records?? They said that the MAF sensor was unplugged which I don't believe is true as I took the whole air intake and throttle body apart and cleaned it before taking it in and double checked that everything was connected. Maybe I did space out but highly doubt it.

Pretty much ever since then this warning comes on while driving then hard shifts from 1 to 2 and goes away. I started patterning the occurrence and have made some observations. It almost always happens when I'm decelrating (meaning foot not on the accelerator). I normally do some coasting to stoplights and things to save on gas and I find it frequently does it then. But it will also happen when I'm stopped (still no foot on the accelerator). So I'm thinking it may have to do with the RPMs or Battery or electrical? The battery for what I can tell is the original 6 years old and I'm thinking of replacing with an AGM battery. I read somewhere if the battery is going bad that it can sometimes trip sensors on these vehicles. The CEL also comes on sometimes when the Svc Stabiltrack warning trips which made me also think it might be battery related. I checked the CEL codes and I'm getting a P0172 and P0175 codes on the readout.

Could they be related? Could the CEL codes be related to the K&N Air Intake?
Thougts? Anything?

Also as I mentioned before I got this Torque App which allows me to Scan. I scanned when the Svc Stabilitrac warning was off and got these results (Attachment1). Then reran the test while the warning was on (Attachment 2). Really don't know how to interpret these results - FAILS were

Test 1 -
MID:$61 TID:$40
- Heated Catalyst Monitor Bank 1
Max: 0 Min: 20,561
Test result value: 16,480
FAIL
----
MID:$90 TID:$c5
-
Max: -24,448ms Min: 20,528ms
Test result value: -14,960ms
FAIL

Test2:
MID:$10 TID:$a4
- O2 Bank 4 Sensor 4
Max: 41,088ms Min: 20,528ms
Test result value: 42,000ms
FAIL
Attached Files
File Type: txt Test1.txt (7.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: txt Test2.txt (9.5 KB, 0 views)
taxman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:53 AM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: 2007 Yukon Service Stabilitrack Traction Control and CEL

Those codes refer to the engine running too rich, I would remove the K and N clear the codes, also make sure the maf in not in backwards if it was removed and it is not oil contamintred from the K and N, I cannot see this affecting the Stabilitrak, usually that is a speed sensor. Yes low voltage can cause electrical glitches but you would have other symptoms. I would also check for TSB's referring to these problems.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:13 PM   #3
taxman9
AF Regular

Thank you for the quick feedback.
For the running too rich issues why would you remove the K&N Intake (just curious)? Is this not a good upgrade? I'll try and clean the MAF to see if it helps or maybe the MAF needs to be replaced?

You mention that the normal suspect for those warnings is a Speed sensor. How many are there and how can I test them? Another thing I forgot to mention is the warnings do go off sometimes when I'm in park at idle.

I looked for TSBs for this issue and came across these two:
2012 PIT-5120-A GMC/CHEVROLET/CADILLAC: INSTRUMENT PANEL MESSAGES REGARDING STABILITRAK MESSAGE, TRACTION CONTROL MESSAGE, SERVICE BRAKE SYSTEM MESSAGE, IS OFF AND GAUGES, IN VARIOUS MODULES LOW SPEED SETTINGS, ARE INOPERATIVE. MODELS 2007-13 ALL ESCALA ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10047479 )

2008 PIT-4665A GENERAL MOTORS: DURING NORMAL DIAGNOSTICS AND/OR REPAIR VERIFICATION THE ABS LIGHT, TRACTION CONTROL AND/OR STABILITRAK INDICATORS MAY BE ON WITH NO DTC'S DISPLAYED BY THE EBCM. ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10028264 )

My vehicle isn't under warranty - what can I do with these bulletins?

Appreciate your help and any ides!
Old 04-16-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
maxwedge
A990 racer

You get /request the full info from a dealer you might have to pay a small fee, but they are required to provide them.. Also a subscription to Alldata.com will give you a full shop manual and all the bulletin details. It seems the rich issue started with the K and N no? if over oiled it can skew the maf. usually you would get p0101 if that happened though. make sure the ducting or gasket around the throttle body has no breaks and no leaks any air getting behind the maf can cause a lean condition also.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:30 PM   #5
taxman9
AF Regular

Called the dealer service department. They were nice enough to look it up but said they can't send it out to DIYers as it's meant for GM technical Svc Staff. I even offered to pay. He said that the TSB I had found was related to aftermarket products being added to the dash. And he is guessing it's a Speed sensor causing the issue. Would a bad or faulty speed sensor only be triggered when stopped, decelerating, coasting, or in park? The warning never trips when I'm accelerating or when my foot is on the gas pedal cruising down the road. To boot, I've also had it go off when I was slowing down for a stop light, put the car in neutral and then rev'd up the RPM's (still thought the battery or alternator voltage might be an issue) and the warning went away. The light always goes away when I'm accelerating from a stop or increase the RPMs.....

Is there a way to pull the trouble code while the warning is on in my vehicle via ODBII type device (dealership offered to rescan again if I brought it in with the warning message on).

In regards to the MAF ->the error codes are indicating running rich not lean (still need to clean the MAF).
Thanks!!
Old 04-17-2013, 03:59 PM   #6
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

Subject: Stabilitrak/Traction Control OFF With Red Brake Warning Lamp And DTC C0267
Models: 2007 - 2013 Cadillac Escalade Models2007 - 2013 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe2007 - 2013 GMC Sierra, Yukon and Denali Models
This PI was superseded to update model and model years. Please discard PIT5120.
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Some owners may comment of a Stabilitrak off message, Traction Control off message, Service Brake System message with a Red Brake Warning Lamp and DTC C0267. There may also be complaints of the IPC going out or gauges inoperative with various modules setting low speed LAN communication DTC's. This concern may happen more at engine start up.
This concern could be caused by an aftermarket device installed inline to the IPC connector. This device is used to recalibrate the speedometer for different size wheels/tires. Remove the aftermarket device and retest.
Issues caused by this after-market device are not covered under warranty.
ADDITIONAL SI KEYWORDS:
U0140 U0151 U0155 U0159 U0164 U0168 U0184 U0199 U0200 U0214
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

Probably not your problem, but here is that PI.
gmtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:41 AM   #7
Robert Pfeffer
AF Newbie

I have the exact same issues with my 2007 Avalanche I know this post was from last year but i was wondering if there was a solution found on this topic.
Robert Pfeffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:51 PM   #8
mfischer2100
AF Newbie

If you have low oil pressure due to a clogged filter (oil treatment???) you will get all those lights. change oil and filter.
mfischer2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 08:15 AM   #9
Kayakn
AF Newbie

I have a 2007 GMC Denali with the same issues. The oil gets changed regularly. I just had a shop charge me 700.00 to change the o-ring on the oil pump with no difference made in lights. I have had three different shops run a scan on the truck. I had quotes for 11,000.00 to 3,000.00 to fix the problem. The vehicle runs fine its just when the traction control and stabilization lights come on it seems the all wheel drive goes in a limp mode causing the shifting to be very rough and loud. It seems the shops have no clue on how to fix it. Any advise on how to fix the issue is much appreciated. Also was wondering if there are any good scanners I could purchase to help me find the problem?
Kayakn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:00 PM   #10
Doughboy2k3
AF Newbie

To Kayakn:

Im not sure how close you live to CT but I have a Tech2 that you could use. I also have the F.S.M for your truck if you want me to take a look to see if there are any bulletins put out by GM for your issue. I know sometimes it may just need one of the modules (EMC, TCM, BCM, etc) to be updated with new programming to address the issue. Let me know, Walt
Doughboy2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:03 PM   #11
Doughboy2k3
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughboy2k3 View Post
To Kayakn:

Im not sure how close you live to CT but I have a Tech2 that you could use. I also have the F.S.M for your truck if you want me to take a look to see if there are any bulletins put out by GM for your issue. I know sometimes it may just need one of the modules (EMC, TCM, BCM, etc) to be updated with new programming to address the issue. Let me know, Walt
I just signed up and didn't notice how far you were to use the tech 2. But is you are ever up this way you are more then welcome.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:05 PM   #12
Doughboy2k3
AF Newbie

Most GM vehicles with AFM/DOD have a small filter on the rear of your intake located under the oil pressure sensor that often gets clogged and can cause your valve train to wear out.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:54 AM   #13
Kayakn
AF Newbie

Thanks doughboy2k3. I really need to find a good shop I can trust to fix the issue and just not change parts. gmtech1 hit the nail on the head with all the symptoms but I have stock wheels on it. My parking brake light and buzzer just started going off yesterday.
Kayakn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:19 AM   #14
FredJere
AF Newbie

I am having the EXACT same issue with my 2007 GMC Yukon as you Kayakn. The problem seems to be most noticeable when down shifting at low speeds and during stops. If I drive the vehicle a mile or two then cruise at a consistent speed, all is well. Like you, I cannot fid a technician who can pinpoint this without guessing at a part to replace. Have you or anyone else had any luck in correctly determining the issue?
FredJere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 04:52 AM   #15
Wmecus
AF Newbie

I have a 2007 Yukon Denali so 6.2 as well I have the same issue along with power reduced message it was the oil pressure sending unit but you also have to change the screen under the sensor or you will still read low oil pressure and codes will still get thrown
Wmecus is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Yukon